$1.00 per reservation?

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Hey there. I just noticed that my credit card has a bunch of $1.00 charges on it from WDW, and it turns out it is for each dining reservation I have made for an upcoming trip. Is this a thing? I've never heard of that before. Thanks in advance for any responses.

MagicHappens1971

Hey there. I just noticed that my credit card has a bunch of $1.00 charges on it from WDW, and it turns out it is for each dining reservation I have made for an upcoming trip. Is this a thing? I've never heard of that before. Thanks in advance for any responses.
I've never heard of this before and its never happened to me. I know they charge the 10.00 per person if you dont show up though.

MaryJaneP

Not familiar with the $1.00 charge. Is it possible WDW is seeing if a card holding a reservation is good and they will refund the charge if the reservation is kept while also having a good card to charge the $10.00 pp if the reservation is missed?

MagicHappens1971

Not familiar with the $1.00 charge. Is it possible WDW is seeing if a card holding a reservation is good and they will refund the charge if the reservation is kept while also having a good card to charge the $10.00 pp if the reservation is missed?
Possible because sometimes I use a visa gift card that has nothing left on it

MaryJaneP

We would be worried that trying to game the system may save us a $1 here and there but we may lose hard-to-get ADRs. Not worth the worry in our already too hectic schedule.

landauh

This is not just Disney. I get the same $1.00 charge when I purchase gas and from a few online websites. I asked my bank and they stated that it is to avoid large losses from the credit card company if the card proves to be stolen or fake.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I called them, as I should have done in the first place, and they told me that they do a $1.00 temporary authorization to make sure the card is good, and then it falls off. Very weird. Anyway, thanks for all the responses.
Never heard of this. Thanks for the info.
Now when my wife calls me in a panic I can tell her to "COOL YOUR JETS & QUIT WORRYING IT'S NOTHING!!!"
Yes I enjoy sleeping on the couch.

lilclerk

I called them, as I should have done in the first place, and they told me that they do a $1.00 temporary authorization to make sure the card is good, and then it falls off. Very weird. Anyway, thanks for all the responses.
I've never seen WDW do it on my cards, but I worked customer service for a bank for several years and saw this ALL the time. Sometimes it would just show up on our end on the card and not actually show on the cardholder's end, sometimes it showed up online for the cardholder too.
I know where I worked, it took 3 business days for authorizations to fall off.

Kate Alan

Yep, they do it all the time whenever I've made ressies for our trips. It disappears fairly quickly though. Good thing to keep in mind if you are planning a surprise trip and share an account with someone who might see it!

Sweet Melissa

For those of you who have never seen this, it could be because your bank doesn't apply a dollar amount to these temporary authorizations. Some banks do, and some don't. Some banks also take a lot longer to hold and clear those temporary authorizations than others do. Disney isn't the one that decides on the $1 charge.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
For those of you who have never seen this, it could be because your bank doesn't apply a dollar amount to these temporary authorizations. Some banks do, and some don't. Some banks also take a lot longer to hold and clear those temporary authorizations than others do. Disney isn't the one that decides on the $1 charge.
This exactly. It's a pre-authorization charge, and is temporary. Most of the larger banks won't even list it on your online statements.

cjkeating

I only noticed this because I have the AMEX app on my phone where it notifies me of every transaction I make, it is amazing how fast it notifies - literally instant - between entering my PIN or submitting an online order. When I started doing ADRs it was alerting my every time but nothing ever appeared on my statement.

It seems crazy that someone would use a fake card to guarantee ADRs but... it probably isn't.

PAW PAW 70

This is a common practice. It just there to make sure the card is good and will be removed when the full amount clears. It also lets the person see that they have a purchase pending.

Disneykings

Do you have to leave a credit card for all reservations? We have the free dining plan. We would get an overseas fee as well in this case, which I'm guessing is non refunded?

Fizban

That is normal procedure for gas stations as well when you pay at the pump. they charge a dollar to ensure the card is good at the point of sale, then when they batch feed the daily charges your bank will update your account with the actual charge.

Fizban

So as another tip, *if* you are making dining reservations for non-Disney owned restaurants like Raglan etc... you can call that restaurant directly and make reservations with no CC required. Additionally when the Disney web site shows no openings the restaurants most likely still do have openings. They dont allow Disney to fill up their reservations systems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom