The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
zQR2ahC.png

why you torture yourself?

My new Acer just sent me an angel saying that my portal crashed. I don't know what that means but a cartoon of angel with a a halo isn't a good sign.

Gabe1

nope, I dont.
But then.. Paris Hilton is reported to be very smart.. completely opposite of what she portrays in her realities.
She is claimed to know that acting like an idiot (like the kardasians), pedantic and using the "supermodel" technique... lead to them getting tons of $$$ in realities.

so.. who to believe?

I don't think Paris is stupid. The Beib is not bright by any means. He has a talent and unfortunately he will loose his following when the next teen idol pops up. Not likely he is going to ever translate over to the adult market. That is the problem I have with Lynch this week. The more he speaks the more you know he has been knocked in the head one to many times. Both best safeguard their earnings 'cause if they squander it there isn't likely to be more to be made elsewhere.

Gabe1

I Googled the designer (of course, I did!), and he's of East-Indian descent, now living in New York.
Given that I have spent the greater part of the past 25 years working almost exclusively with Indo-Canadians, I find many Indian-influenced garments to be very attractive.

I Googled the designer (of course, I did!), and he's of East-Indian descent, now living in New York.
Given that I have spent the greater part of the past 25 years working almost exclusively with Indo-Canadians, I find many Indian-influenced garments to be very attractive.

I'm not a fan of Indian garments. I find most of them too tacky. This dress of the First Ladies has far more Western influences than Indian. It was duly noted by the East that she did not cover her head with a scarf and most of the greeters refused to shake her hand. She remained classy about it but I'd love to know what was going through her mind.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I'm not a fan of Indian garments. I find most of them too tacky. This dress of the First Ladies has far more Western influences than Indian. It was duly noted by the East that she did not cover her head with a scarf and most of the greeters refused to shake her hand. She remained classy about it but I'd love to know what was going through her mind.
Yeah, I'm more of a Laura Bush fan, so no comment.
Mrs. Bush just seemed very classy and refined. Mrs. Obama, more common.
But what do I know? I've never met either one of them ... and I'm not even an American.

As to Indian garments ... I love when the ladies come into my office all dressed up for a celebration. Some of the outfits are breath-taking. Keep in mind though, these are legit Indian women; many of whom are immigrants within the past 10 years, who go home to purchase their fabrics. These are not knock-off outfits being worn.

Gabe1

$2500 or $700?
I paid $580 for mine, in late 1992.

It was something around $2500

Have I mentioned that if I could have undone all the contracts I signed that I would have eloped half way through the wedding planning process. That would have been my #1 do-over. #2 as an alternative would have been to not to entertain or listened to everyone's opinions. I should have in retrospect cut off everyone and just said Stifle. My wedding. You had yours. My parents paid for college. I paid for my wedding and I was living on my own in my own condo. Not sure why I let people think they had a say. Did I ever mention I kicked my MIL to be out of my brides room at the chruch?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
It was something around $2500

Have I mentioned that if I could have undone all the contracts I signed that I would have eloped half way through the wedding planning process. That would have been my #1 do-over. #2 as an alternative would have been to not to entertain or listened to everyone's opinions. I should have in retrospect cut off everyone and just said Stifle. My wedding. You had yours. My parents paid for college. I paid for my wedding and I was living on my own in my own condo. Not sure why I let people think they had a say. Did I ever mention I kicked my MIL to be out of my brides room at the chruch?
At the time I got married, I had already been living on my own for more than seven years.

My parents paid for the meal/venue (Ukrainian parish hall - not fancy, but to-die-for food), Hubby's parents paid for the bar and the late lunch, and my dad insisted on paying for the limo.
I paid for everything else, which amounted to about half of the entire event.

My mother knew me, so never expected to get away with trying to recreate her day; although I certainly included her. My MIL was fairly disinterested, and only offered one or two minor criticisms.
All in all, about the best you could hope for.

Gabe1

But what do I know? I've never met either one of them ... and I'm not even an American.

As to Indian garments ... I love when the ladies come into my office all dressed up for a celebration. Some of the outfits are breath-taking. Keep in mind though, these are legit Indian women; many of whom are immigrants within the past 10 years, who go home to purchase their fabrics. These are not knock-off outfits being worn.

Yeah I find the outfits beyond tacky. But to each their own. My DD friend in HS and her Freshman dorm roommate was East Indian. She shunned the traditions. Her family only half stuck with them. The Dad was a citizen and Mom was still in India when the roommate was born. She had so many physical disabilities. She had deformed legs and arms, the twisted type. Throughout high school the kept breaking her bones and pinning them with big metal brackets and stretching and straightening her bones. Her PE class was learning to walk stairs. She really needed one more year before she went away to college. We have been to their home and it more Americanized household than East Indian. Some acclimate better to their new chosen country than others. My folks are both first generation Americans. They had a different take on immigration. They wanted a new way of life not the same life elsewhere.

Gabe1

At the time I got married, I had already been living on my own for more than seven years.

My parents paid for the meal/venue (Ukrainian parish hall - not fancy, but to-die-for food), Hubby's parents paid for the bar and the late lunch, and my dad insisted on paying for the limo.
I paid for everything else, which amounted to about half of the entire event.

My mother knew me, so never expected to get away with trying to recreate her day; although I certainly included her. My MIL was fairly disinterested, and only offered one or two minor criticisms.
All in all, about the best you could hope for.

Yeah I could have only hoped for that with my MIL. She was a pain from day one. My Mom on the other hand questioned my choice of parish and till the moment I walked down the isle kept trying to convince me that I should put the veil down over my face for an unveiling. :cautious: No way in heck was that going to happen. Cover my face? until my father presented it to a guy? Seriously? My Mom was great beyond that bit. The 103 degrees at the time of my 3pm wedding in a Cathedral without air conditioning that was not so good. Being in a long sleeved fitted gown that had 7 layers, yeah that ramped up temperaments. I sure love our reception more than the wedding. We rocked. It was beyond beautiful and all had fun, minus the MIL.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Yeah I find the outfits beyond tacky. But to each their own. My DD friend in HS and her Freshman dorm roommate was East Indian. She shunned the traditions. Her family only half stuck with them. The Dad was a citizen and Mom was still in India when the roommate was born. She had so many physical disabilities. She had deformed legs and arms, the twisted type. Throughout high school the kept breaking her bones and pinning them with big metal brackets and stretching and straightening her bones. Her PE class was learning to walk stairs. She really needed one more year before she went away to college. We have been to their home and it more Americanized household than East Indian. Some acclimate better to their new chosen country than others. My folks are both first generation Americans. They had a different take on immigration. They wanted a new way of life not the same life elsewhere.
Grade 10 History - the Canadian Mosaic vs the American Melting Pot, two distinctly different approaches to multiculturalism and assimilation.

We look the same, we dress the same, we speak the same, but in many respects, Canadians and Americans are like apples and oranges.

Gabe1

I did like Mrs. Bush a lot. She had class. Laura not so much. She always seemed out of place and afraid of someone saying Boo! I'm not a big fan of the First Lady and less of her hubby but every once in a while she impresses me. She is like Hilary too much brain power to play the role of First Lady. Both Hilary and Michelle remind me of Mrs. Roosevelt, who is really manning the ship?

MinnieM123

Premium Member

That was interesting, and I hadn't heard anything about it. What surprises me is that whomever is hired to work with the First Lady on foreign visits, did not appear to do appropriate research on clothing customs for women. That's a big faux pas.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

I also really like some of the Indian garments as well. The fabrics, color combinations, etc., can look so graceful on some women.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom