Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Brian

I wrote that article and made that photo! Glad it was helpful to explain the architectural influences.

That was an extremely interesting article. It's very clear which structures influenced certain parts of the castle.

I especially enjoyed seeing the photos of workers standing near pre-fabricated roofs of the castle during construction. Really shows you the forced perspective at work.

Well done!

SpaceMountain75

I'm sure they'll *sniff* replace the planters in the hub at *sniff* some point soon, *tears roll down face* right?

*quietly weeps in the corner*
I'm hoping that since there are trees pictured in the concept art that they'll put the trees back where they were. But yeah, I'm with you. If I hadn't been in public when I saw those pictures, I probably would have yelped!

articos

I believe the landscaping on the 7DMT is a mixture of both, judging by the dried out look of some of the vegetation...which can only be attributed to living and not regularly watered plant material.
The greenery on top of the show building is artificial, mixed with real around it.

Thanks for the pics. Unfortunately too much concrete...
Don't be concerned. When finished, even with the artificial turf, the hub will have plenty of planting and live trees.

cjk0318

It's important to note that this new red concrete is only temporary.
We know this now. In-construction hub is supposed to be open around or before the Plaza Gardens viewing area is open, and then the Hub will close once again sometime afterwards- new planters in the hub are supposedly smaller.

Tip Top Club

The Two South Planters that were paved over in the traditional red is temporary to allow that are to fill in for Wishes viewing while the North Half is under walls, which will likely be a few more months. (The Plaza Gardens will open first) Once the north half is done the south half will go behind walls and the planters will return in the new style. They will be the same size as the old planters but classier looking.

DisneyCane

I see very little reason to use AstroTurf in Florida, where moisture is so abundant.

I assume it is because they intend to have people standing on those "grass" areas for fireworks and/or parade viewing. There is no breed of grass that will stand up to that kind of traffic and it will look MUCH better than just concrete.

Take notice of how professional stadiums keep people off the grass at all times except for games. There's a picture of a sign next to the field in Arizona for the Super Bowl that says "grass grows by inches and is killed by feet."

When I've seen artificial grass used out in Vegas, it has looked surprisingly real. If it wasn't ridiculously expensive, I'd change my Florida lawn over to it without even blinking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom