New Starbucks Merch

SnarkyMonkey

Could someone please explain? What's wrong with the purple colour?

Also, they haven't been pulled from the shelves. Someone on another thread tonight said that they just saw plenty of them for sale.

NearTheEars

Assuming this has to do with Japan...

Some googling shows that purple/violet is the "color of privilege and wealth, the color associated with the Japanese aristocracy."

Also PURPLE was the name given to Japan's WWII cipher machine.

I thought they looked nice still. I've done some illustration work in the past with pagodas, makes me want to go back and check out my color scheme.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Ohhhhh....I get it now.
As do I, but how long does Disney have to avoid the color "purple"?

I don't mean to sound crass or uncaring but to avoid a color is kind of silly. I could see them getting rid of the monorails completely if they wanted to show solidarity and respect for the deceased. You could always just say the mug was "fuchsia" or "violet" and avoid saying "purple".

How long does the avoidance of the red/blue merger have to stay in effect?

*Let the stoning begin.*

SnarkyMonkey

As do I, but how long does Disney have to avoid the color "purple"?

I don't mean to sound crass or uncaring but to avoid a color is kind of silly. I could see them getting rid of the monorails completely if they wanted to show solidarity and respect for the deceased. You could always just say the mug was "fuchsia" or "violet" and avoid saying "purple".

How long does the avoidance of the red/blue merger have to stay in effect?

*Let the stoning begin.*

It's important to remember that Disney hasn't done anything and that this, so far, is a unsubstantiated rumor. As of yesterday, there were still plenty of these mugs in the parks.

But I agree with you. If they did do that, it seems like a complete overreaction.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Ok so it is a substantiated rumour. :) But I still think it's an overreaction either way.

I don't see it as an over-reaction at all. They did not ban the color purple on all of the property, but out of respect for the young man who was lost in that accident they did remove use of that color (and pink) on monorails. It's unclear how this got missed in the design approval process but it was clearly a mistake that didn't get caught in time and pulling them to redesign with a different color palette is the right decision.

FoozieBear

I don't get why they have to pull it honestly. The whole theme of the mug is purple and Monorails have always been a big part of Epcot.

Like someone pointed out on Twitter, people have died on the Matterhorn too, yet there's a mug with it on it.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I don't see it as an over-reaction at all. They did not ban the color purple on all of the property, but out of respect for the young man who was lost in that accident they did remove use of that color (and pink) on monorails. It's unclear how this got missed in the design approval process but it was clearly a mistake that didn't get caught in time and pulling them to redesign with a different color palette is the right decision.
I disagree.

If they really wanted to honor the young man they would get rid of the monorails completely, not avoid a color.

I doubt Austin had anything against the color purple. The color purple is not what killed him.

It's not as if the mug actually depicts Monorail Purple anymore than it suggests that Japan's Pagoda is purple, it's just the color of the ink in the overall design.

SnarkyMonkey

It's not as if the mug actually depicts Monorail Purple anymore than it suggests that Japan's Pagoda is purple, it's just the color of the ink in the overall design.

Exactly. It is a generic monorail on the mug that doesn't have a colour. It's like a black and white picture, only it's purple and white, because that's an Epcot color. I think that's quite obvious to anyone who would look at that mug.

I know there are those that are offended by it and they are allowed to be offended by whatever they want. But I don't find it offensive. And to suggest that it was intended to be, as some have, is ridiculous.

Clamman73

So these were $14.95 not long ago

image.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom