Seriously considering cancellng 1st trip

squidward

Original Poster
We booked our 1st Disneyland trip last July for this upcoming April. So excited for it, but just found out the following will be closed:

Peter Pans Flight
Soarin
World of Color
Matterhorn

The last 2 are HUUUUUGE reasons why we wanted to go to Disneyland. I can't imagine going to Disneyland for the 1st time and not being able to ride the Matterhorn. Problem is, the whole thing is booked and paid for. I don't know. Maybe it's just not meant to be.

Californian Elitist

They're closed because they're getting spiffed up for the big 60th celebration. If WoC and Matterhorn being closed makes you want to cancel your entire trip, I wouldn't even consider going to Disneyland at all. There's so much to the park than those two attractions, the history alone should get you there.

Good luck with your decision.

ImagineerDude

World of Color will be open in April.
Yeah, I thought I just read it was opening March? Then the new version in May.

Matterhorn was close for my first visit well. And after all these announcements tonight, I REALLY would like to go back this summer for a better experience than we had in 2012.

Vegas Disney Fan

As others have said WoC will be open so that's one less thing to worry about.

It's a tough choice, if you go in April you'll miss a couple rides but will also miss the summer crowds and will get to ride a lot more. If you rebook for after May 22nd everything will be open PLUS the new 60th Anniversary nighttime parade, fireworks, WoC celebration show, and decorations will be going but you'll have to deal with ridiculous crowds.

For me the deciding factor would be how long you're going. If you're only going 2 or 3 days I'd stick with April, you'll get so much more done. If you are going long enough you can take a more leisurely pace and spend more time in lines I'd try to rebook so you can be part of the 60th celebration.

Either way it's Disneyland, you'll have fun!

squidward

Original Poster
Talk to your hotel provider to see if you will be able to change your dates. Anytime after the 5/22 would be amazing time to visit!

Hotel isn't the problem. We're booked at the Disneyland Hotel. The big problem is the flight. It's booked and paid for. We got a great deal from Boston. May is out because kids are in school. July would be fine, but flights are nearly double the cost.

I know it probably seems silly, but this may be a once in a lifetime trip. I know there's so much more to see and do, but it's the Matterhorn. I've been looking forward to riding that for about 30 years.

Bolt

Hotel isn't the problem. We're booked at the Disneyland Hotel. The big problem is the flight. It's booked and paid for. We got a great deal from Boston. May is out because kids are in school. July would be fine, but flights are nearly double the cost.

I know it probably seems silly, but this may be a once in a lifetime trip. I know there's so much more to see and do, but it's the Matterhorn. I've been looking forward to riding that for about 30 years.
Matterhorn hurts to ride. Am I the only one who thinks that? :)

squidward

Original Poster
I'm cancelling. The kids were disappointed about the closings and said "Can we go to Universal (Orlando) instead?"
Very upset, but it doesn't surprise me all that much. Disney is Disney, and they have a tendency to announce closures just a couple of months in advance. We've had this happen to us in Florida too many times to count.

Californian Elitist

I'm cancelling. The kids were disappointed about the closings and said "Can we go to Universal (Orlando) instead?"
Very upset, but it doesn't surprise me all that much. Disney is Disney, and they have a tendency to announce closures just a couple of months in advance. We've had this happen to us in Florida too many times to count.

Wherever else you choose, I hope you and the family have a great time.

JillC LI

I understand your disappointment, but given that WOC will actually be running, and the first two exist at WDW, you're really only talking about missing Matterhorn. Having ridden it for the first time myself last May, I agree with the prior poster who said:

Matterhorn hurts to ride. Am I the only one who thinks that? :)

With so much else to experience at DLR, you won't regret your trip even if you miss Matterhorn. Radiator Spring Racers, Indiana Jones, Aladdin and POC alone make it worth the trip!

George Lucas on a Bench

I love the Matterhorn, despite the new bobsleds.

With Disneyland, I think timing was a cause for concern. Numerous attractions would have been closed and you would have missed major additions for the diamond celebration thing.

Harry Potter alone was worth the trip to Universal before, I can only imagine how awesome it is now with Diagon Alley.

dweezil78

I personally would have kept the reservation. Getting to look at the Matterhorn and just feel its presence looming in the park is 75% of the appeal. The ride itself is poorly designed (even Bob Gurr admits he had no idea what he was doing with it) and a painful experience that has me shouting out profanities the majority of the ride and swearing off ever riding it again the second I walk off... I always go back, but still. As far as on-ride experiences go, WDW's Space Mountain is pretty darn similar, but slightly less painful and a more exciting ride with a comfier three-seater bobsled setup.

World of Color is great but certainly not something that would make or break a trip. The other two are the same thing as what's in Orlando.

But most importantly, April is in between the busy spring break and summer seasons and one of the last down times you'll get at the park before the 60th hoopla begins. A slow DL with a few closed rides and short waits is a billion times better than a busy DL with everything open with crowds and long waits IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom