Emma Watson as Belle

Steel City Magic

dear God. I like Emma Watson as much as the next guy but why not try to find a no name that would fit better? I mean I'm sure they can find someone of equal or greater talent to fill the role instead of just trying to have a name with star power attached to the film. I'm tired of seeing the same 10 people in every film released in the past few years, ya know?

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

dear God. I like Emma Watson as much as the next guy but why not try to find a new name that would fit better? I mean I'm sure they can find someone of equal or greater talent to fill the role instead of just trying to have a name with star power attached to the film. I'm tired of seeing the same 10 people in every film released in the past few years, ya know?
Huh?

Emma Watson has been exceptional in a number of her films outside of Potter. Namely, Noah, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Bling Ring, and My Week with Marilyn.

She's a popular actress, but she doesn't necessarily fit the bill of, nor even embrace, star power. That honor goes to actresses like Angelina Jolie, whose name overshadows her films completely.

Last edited:

Ariel1986

Huh?

Emma Watson has been exceptional in a number of her films outside of Potter. Namely, Noah, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Bling Ring, and My Wee with Marilyn.

She's a popular actress, but she doesn't necessarily fit the bill of, nor even embrace, star power. That honor goes to actresses like Angelina Jolie, whose name overshadows her films completely.

The Bling Ring was cringeworthy...

englanddg

One Little Spark...

She does the backup vocals in this song.

And here's her singing in Noah. Audio quality is terrible, and she's choking up with acted emotions, but it seems she can at least carry a tune.

The music in BatB isn't that difficult or challenging...that's why so many people have copied it on youtube! So, while I HATE HATE HATE the fact they are doing another live "adaptation"...I'm pleasantly surprised with the casting of Emma (and she is a good fit for the role), and think she'll do fine.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It actually happens quite a bit in movie musicals where the actor/actress playing the role doesn't do the singing (and even though it's a little disappointing that they don't sing their own parts, it doesn't always turn out bad). Minnie Driver didn't sing her own part in Phantom of the Opera. Most of Audrey Hepburn's singing voice was someone else singing in My Fair Lady. Even in The Sound of Music, a lot of Christopher Plummer's singing voice was dubbed by someone else when he sang Edelweiss at the end of the movie.

Movie studios have chosen star power (or maybe good acting) over good singing in the past. Even when the role required singing throughout most of the movie. Why did they cast Gerard Butler as the phantom, one of the most iconic roles in musical history, even though he had zero singing experience before the movie? And, I have no idea why they ever thought it was a good idea to cast Pierce Brosnan in a singing role for Mamma Mia (now that is one person who should have been dubbed!).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Emma Watson is going to be a bad singer. In fact, I have high hopes for her. I'm sure she will surprise us all. I'm definitely not going to judge her before I even hear her. However, knowing how some movie musicals have been done in the past, it's understandable why people would be worried about who is playing/singing in the main parts, and how they are going to handle the singing, especially when they choose a star who we never knew could sing before.
Others for your list...

Russell Crowe in Les Mis (GOD that was bad...)

pluto77

Original Poster
This would be true...had they not already said quite clearly that Emma Watson, who does know how to sing, will be singing her own parts in the movie. I'm still not getting what the dispute is here.
The "dispute," which I think is more people questioning than a dispute, is how the songs will be handled. And, since we have never heard her belt out a song of her own, will she sound good? Or will they over computerize her voice like they do in Highschool Musical, for example, where their voices don't even sound natural. I'm sure that she will surprise us all with her voice, I'm just saying that's why people are questioning. The only two songs I've heard her sing are the two above where she is singing softly, not a full out musical song of her own.

And, like I said, I have confidence in her. I don't think she would take the part if she couldn't handle it. I'm just saying people have a right to question a relatively inexperienced singer doing a musical. The lip synching only came up when you questioned why they would cast her if she couldn't sing, and people were just pointing out that it's actually not that uncommon to have people lip synch to a different singer, even in live action musicals. I wasn't saying that will be the case for this movie.

SnarkyMonkey

I'm talking about people who are saying that she can't sing so why would they choose her. That's the part I wasn't getting. She's not an inexperienced singer. She has some vocal training and has a small number of recordings. That and Disney chose her to be the lead in a musical. Now, I can see people wondering if she'll be any good or how good she will be. But to question whether or not she can actually sing at all seems weird since we know that she can.

Tony Perkis

I'm talking about people who are saying that she can't sing so why would they choose her. That's the part I wasn't getting. She's not an inexperienced singer. She has some vocal training and has a small number of recordings. That and Disney chose her to be the lead in a musical. Now, I can see people wondering if she'll be any good or how good she will be. But to question whether or not she can actually sing at all seems weird since we know that she can.
On top of that, name a better candidate for Belle.

Please do. Early 20's actress than mostly everybody loves and has been a varying range of good-to-great in nearly everything she's been in.

This is the biggest slam dunk live-action film casting Disney has had in a long time.

Steel City Magic

On top of that, name a better candidate for Belle.

Please do. Early 20's actress than mostly everybody loves and has been a varying range of good-to-great in nearly everything she's been in.

This is the biggest slam dunk live-action film casting Disney has had in a long time.

Mary elizabeth winstead would be a better fit for belle. Like I said just like that twilight girl in snow white and the huntsman, hollywood tries to get big names that will resonate with the tweeners instead of looking for someone that would truly fit the part whether their a big name star or not. They should be looking for someone that will fit the part, get a great director and have a script that will knock it out of the park instead of signing a name everyone loves and relying on hermione and beauty and the beast nostalgia to sell the tickets. When the big name actress/actor fits the part then yay! win/win but cmon. I hope I'm wrong and that it breaks box office records around the globe, I just don't see it happening. And yes I've seen every harry potter, spring breakers and the bling ring. I like emma watson, I do, but I don't see her adequately pulling off Belle. Hopefully it's not as bad as the 90s show with ron pearlman lol
PS did you know they also offered the role of cinderella to emma watson? Thankfully she turned it down as she would fit that part even worse. Time will tell on that one. Looks to be a solid cast but how's the script and execution is the real question.

Last edited:

Steel City Magic

With a lesser known actor/ actress you don't see kristen stewart playing snow white or emma watson playing belle. You see snow white on screen or cinderella or belle. Ya know what I mean?

epcotWSC

Anyone can sing. I can sing, you can sing... and I'm sure that a decent portion of actors have some sort of vocal training. It doesn't mean that they're great though. When someone asks can someone sing, it means can they sing extremely well. Can they put on a great show by singing. The question is if Disney is picking an actress who can only sing decently, but has star power. If someone has no known singing credits to their name, it is a valid concern.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom