Toy Story Playland

Progress.City

Surely nobody can get excited about 3 cloned travelling carnival class rides?

This really should not be coming to the studios....the rides are a cheap Chester and Hester style fill out lifted straight from the worlds worst Disney park.
If this is what the mean to a overhaul of the studios, I fell they should hardly bother.
Someone please dethaw Uncle Walt and have him put a stop to all this madness!

Progress.City

Just like when DAK opened Chester and Hester wasn't all they were adding either. Now we all hate it. I get that a few kid friendly rides are needed, but why do they have to be on the same level as a traveling carnival?
It was supposed to be temporary. Nothing is ever "temporary" with TDO...

Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland/Toontown/FLE
International Millenium Pavilion
Etc.

Progress.City

Last I heard was the budget was substantially big, around the DCA figure.

But don't quote me.
We all know that there are BILLIONS of dollars in new projects in the works between the parks, but nothing has been officially announced yet (except Avatar). We are all going by known (and reliable) rumors. I wonder if all this will be burped out of Disney one day in a big Disney Decade-style announcement... That is a day a can't wait to see!

Monorail_Red_77

We all know that there are BILLIONS of dollars in new projects in the works between the parks, but nothing has been officially announced yet (except Avatar). We are all going by known (and reliable) rumors. I wonder if all this will be burped out of Disney one day in a big Disney Decade-style announcement... That is a day a can't wait to see!

Yes, I can see it now. They announce a new land, let's say Jumbo Land. Then 48 hours later they do the grand opening of Jumbo Land.
I can hear management now. See look, we have set a new record. We went from announcing a new land to grand opening in just 48 hours. Disney is setting new records in construction timelines. Everyone at this table gets a bonus. :jawdrop: :banghead:

Progress.City

Yes, I can see it now. They announce a new land, let's say Jumbo Land. Then 48 hours later they do the grand opening of Jumbo Land.
I can hear management now. See look, we have set a new record. We went from announcing a new land to grand opening in just 48 hours. Disney is setting new records in construction timelines. Everyone at this table gets a bonus. :jawdrop: :banghead:
It's just that we are so spoiled by knowing everything - all the details - way far in advance. Now we are kinda blind. It's kinda like security that there knowledge is. It's a very unsecure feeling not being told what the mouse's plan is. For all we know, some high tech Tron-style PRT system may be on the drawing boards... We just don't know AND the lack of new stuff in recent years has us being cynical EVEN if all our far fetched dreams may finally have been green lit. So, we remain cynical - EVEN THOUGH billions of dollars of stuff for sure are in the works... UGH

Disneyhead'71

Well, I have to say that when it was first rumored that TSPL was coming I was firmly against it. I really loath the slinky dog ride and the not a huge fan of the other two that exist in Paris and HK. But with more info about a rethemed Mater's and the new Luigi's ride system I have to reassess. Both of those are WDI created original flat rides and very much not carnival rides. This may not be as bad as what WDI came up with for the other TSPLs.

Last edited:

Donald Razorduck

Well, I have to say that when it was first rumored that TSPL was coming I was firmly against it. I really loath the slinky dog ride and the not a huge fan of the other two that exist in Paris and HK. But with more info about a rethemed Mater's and the new Luigi's ride system I have to reassess. Both of those are WDI created original flat rides and very much not carnival rides. This may not be as bad as what WDI came up with for the other TSPLs.

Actually Larson has a flat ride system very similar to one of those at DCA's Carsland. A combination of their Mega Whip and Mega Whirl

flyerjab

Interesting that you posted this comment.

I feel that WDW has been placed into a position that 3 carni rides at DHS for an 'expanded' Pixar Place would be a joke. In baseball terms, that would almost be like dipping into your minor league system to bring up a journeyman pitcher as opposed to using your available cap space to sign a big time starter for your rotation.

Prior to UNI swinging for the fences with Potter and hitting grand slam after grand slam, maybe WDW could have gotten away with that type of an approach. Not anymore. UNI is now becoming a threat to WDWs dominance of the Orlando theme park business. Furthermore, with Kong coming (at the usual record pace), a mega water park, another resort (and a real nice looking one too), as well as a rumored 3rd gate, UNI is then for real. This isn't a 'let's do WDW 5 days and UNI 2 days' kind of vacation scenario anymore. If what I outlined comes to fruition, UNI now becomes a full week visit, at likely half the cost of a WDW vacation. With today's economy, that is now a viable option that almost won't even be considered an option anymore. It will be an alternative that won't even be up for debate.

If Disney tries to 'wow' us with an exact replica of Toy Story Playland and the plussed up expansion of TSMM, then shame on them. DHS expansion and re-branding cannot be cookie-cutter moves or UNI deserves the money that they will ultimately steal away from WDW. A unique Pixar Place Expansion with the plussed version of TSMM as well as 3 uniquely themed kid/family type rides should only be considered a start. I would want totally new theming of the entire area, with a new Pizza Planet location as well. There should be new fountains or water, something pleasant to the design. I even heard rumor of a new carousel that would be themed to Toy Story. Bring that on also! And this isn't even including the rumored version of Cars Land that Orlando might be getting.

And to me, this is what has to happen. If any attempt to redo this park is weak then that is akin to Disney saying all we really need to live on is the name and the legacy (something that UNI currently doesn't have - YET). And I say give me a break. The only way WDW can remain competitive to UNI, as well as Legoland and some of the other I-Drive attractions that are coming, is to make really amazing attractions and immersive lands. I don't ever expect anything along the lines of what EPCOT Center once was when it first opened in 82, but WDW still has the imagination and the money to amaze us. In some other thread that has now fallen off into the myriad of threads on this site, @Lee indicated that Disney is in a spending mood and that the approved budget for whatever is happening at DHS is really big. I really hope that they take this opportunity to wow us once more because the clock is ticking in Orlando. I take the BAH coming down as a positive first step. I feel that expanding and plussing TSMM is another good step. But man, this expansion in Pixar Place better not amount to three carnival type rides that already exist in 2 other Disney parks. With the money that Disney demands for its parks, restaurants and resorts, each addition here on out has to be able to amaze us, or UNI better start adding even more resorts as they will have earned our paychecks.

Come on Disney, step up to the plate and deliver here! You are almost giving yourself a clean slate in this park. Don't mess it up!

Last edited:

doctornick

I find TSMMs extra capacity worrying. Or more it's placement.

It looks like soundstage one is a go. If so that's an awful lot of real estate fronting Mickey Av with nothing to see. Pixar Place is a narrow, bland corridor with just one attraction as it is.

Are they using the whole of SS1 for the new track? I've thought that if they use (say) 2/3 of the building for a new track that the remainder could be used as a queue for a new ride where the showbuilding is behind (west of) SS1. That would at least add another attraction entrance on Mickey Ave.

And that area is already somewhat themed to Monsters, Inc.....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You'd hope not all of SS1 would be needed, but remember right now 2a and 2b are in use, meaning S1 has to handle one track (albeit one track) plus load, unload and ancillary queues plus maintainence. There won't be much if anything left. Even say if it used half, that's half the frontage with nothing new to offer behind it. Show buildings are meant to go backwards not sideways.

Imho the MI Coaster would have used the space better. Would have looked far better too.

Last edited:

wdwgreek

Bottom line DHS needs love, and it need direction. Animal Kingdom is an example of a wonderfully immersive theme park, even the new Lion King theatre is beautifully done! DHS needs substantial investment to make it not an empty shell, more then a toystory land, but a DCA style redo!

midwest_mice

I wonder if they thought about Soundstage 1 being better off with a clone of Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue that California Adventure has? At least then they'd have a dark ride there.

flyerjab

I find TSMMs extra capacity worrying. Or more it's placement.

It looks like soundstage one is a go. If so that's an awful lot of real estate fronting Mickey Av with nothing to see. Pixar Place is a narrow, bland corridor with just one attraction as it is.

Well, as I said, I will take it as a start but a start only. One thing that I was wondering about sort of ties into your later point - bland corridor. It is hard to for me to conceptualize the layout of the 3rd track that is being added in SS1. That being said, would the layout possibly be created in such a manner as allow the wall facing the corridor to be a window wall at some point? I am all about kinetics in a theme park - 7DMT cars racing through the trees in FL, the people mover in TL, the depth of space about to be added to in Harambe, etc. I thought that it would be neat to see the TSMM cars riding and twisting out of the loading area or back into the loading area, if only for a brief second or two. From a kinetics standpoint, walking down the corridor and seeing the cars race and twirl by as they enter the spaces where the video screens are would be neat. I don't know how feasible due to layout or light entering the areas with the screens, but that would be cool to see.

Progress.City

You'd hope not all of SS1 would be needed, but remember right now 2a and 2b are in use, meaning S1 has to handle one track (albeit one track) plus load, unload and ancillary queues plus maintainence. There won't be much if anything left. Even say if it used half, that's half the frontage with nothing new to offer behind it. Show buildings are meant to go backwards not sideways.

Imho the MI Coaster would have used the space better. Would have looked far better too.
Have you considered running for CEO?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom