Stroller for 5 year old and one year old??

ada0801

Original Poster
We will be traveling to Disney with a 1 year old and 5 year old. Our 5 year old never uses a stroller but I know how tiring Disney can be. Do we buy a double just for this (seems wasteful), just not take one to accommodate the 5yo, rent one (though buying is the same price). Thoughts? What have you done in the past? Any advice is appreciated.

mouskateer carrie

I only have 1 kid, so I can't speak for two, but I can certainly say "yes" to going with an option that accommodates the 5yo, too.

I found an umbrella stroller that has a max weight of 50 lbs. for my 4yo. It was cheaper than renting for several days. He doesn't use a stroller anymore, but as I guessed, he sure did at Disney! It made it possible for him to last the whole day in the parks. He even napped a few times :)

LAM378

I second having a double stroller for your 5-year-old. Even with mid-day breaks (and naps!), my kiddo was falling asleep in his stroller by 7 or 8 pm on our trips last year. He's 5 now and stopped using a stroller at home a long, long time ago, but I will definitely get him a stroller again on our trip this spring.

As for renting vs. buying, I don't know what I'd do in your case. I'm assuming you would rent from one of the outside companies that delivers to the resorts? (Please say yes--do not rent a WDW in-park stroller). Overall, I guess it depends on the quality of the one you can buy "for the price of a rental." The ones you can rent from outside companies are very good strollers-large enough to accommodate a 5yo, roll and maneuver smoothly, plenty of space below, collapse nicely, parent console and rain cover and cooler included. They're fancy, and definitely more comfortable than any stroller I ever purchased or used outside WDW. If you can buy a decent double stroller that delivers all of the above, go for it. If not, rent just for the ease of use and comfort factor.

gooftroop5

Yes! Yes! and YES to the stroller for both kids. We have always taken a sit 'n stand so the youngest can sit and then another can ride along. This year our kids will be 11, 8, and 5 when we go. We are still taking the stroller for the 5-year old. Their little legs just can't handle all the walking. I would rather deal with a stroller than deal with a grumpy kid.

I also agree with @LAM378. Don't rent from WDW. Price out the difference of buying one to renting one from an outside company. Or better yet.....have any friends you can borrow from?

CAPTAIN HOOK

No !!!

If your 5yr old doesn't need a stroller normally then why change your habits just because you're at Disney ?? Adopt a pace that the 5yr old can cope with and if that's too much contemplate a nap in the afternoon.

My 4yr old coped very well without a stroller or an afternoon nap on her first visit

Disney Karen

I have twin girls who are 9 and a boy who is 4. Last summer (when they were 8) was the first trip where I didn't have an umbrella stroller for the girls. There is SO much walking in and around WDW...it really helps kids to have a stroller to rest in while getting around the parks. Buy an inexpensive double umbrella stroller or even 2 separate umbrella strollers. Just make sure it's lightweight for you to push and carry around (on buses, monorail, boat, etc) & that it folds up easily. There is nothing worse than trying to battle with a stroller when you are just trying to get onto some sort of Disney transportation! Also, bring something you can tie onto your stroller(s) that will make it easier to find when you get off of a ride/out of a show. That sea of strollers can be a bit overwhelming & having a brightly colored ribbon/shoelace tied to yours will really help you find it/them a lot faster! Have fun! :)

I have 3 kids....4, 4, and 6.5. We took breaks and my oldest took turns in stroller and he still walked over 25,000 steps in a day (he wanted to wear my Fitbit). That's a lot of walking...I'd rent a double stroller personally. We ended up renting a single the last 2 days. Their schedules get so off that there is an accumulating effect of tiredness

Weather_Lady

It all depends. Obviously you need a stroller (or strap-on carrier) for the baby, but as for the older child, do you plan to tour all day, every day, or will you take a mid-day break? Is your 5-year-old healthy and fit? Will you be keeping him/her up very late? Will he/she be getting adequate sleep?

We never needed a stroller for our 4 and 6-year-olds, but we never toured for more than 5 hours at a time, and did our best to approximate the kids' normal sleep schedule. (Each day, we would: tour from rope drop - lunchtime, head back to the resort for 2-3 hours of napping, swimming and relaxing, and then go back to the parks from about 4pm-9pm). With that schedule and a good touring plan that allowed for plenty of breaks and leisurely meals, we nonetheless covered practically everything in every park in less than 6 days with no stroller, no meltdowns and no whining to be carried at the end of the night (except maybe by me). ;)

Livelovedisney

It all depends. Obviously you need a stroller (or strap-on carrier) for the baby, but as for the older child, do you plan to tour all day, every day, or will you take a mid-day break? Is your 5-year-old healthy and fit? Will you be keeping him/her up very late? Will he/she be getting adequate sleep?

We never needed a stroller for our 4 and 6-year-olds, but we never toured for more than 5 hours at a time, and did our best to approximate the kids' normal sleep schedule. (Each day, we would: tour from rope drop - lunchtime, head back to the resort for 2-3 hours of napping, swimming and relaxing, and then go back to the parks from about 4pm-9pm). With that schedule and a good touring plan that allowed for plenty of breaks and leisurely meals, we nonetheless covered practically everything in every park in less than 6 days with no stroller, no meltdowns and no whining to be carried at the end of the night (except maybe by me). ;)
I will admit I am worried about having only one stroller for our 2 year old, and not my 5 year old. Plus I have to haul around my camera. Hopefully they'll last half way through the day

4disneylovers

When my kids were 4 and 6 My husband and I did not agree on this. He said no stroller and I said stroller. I insisted on at least the umbrella stroller. We didn't make it to the castle before he changed his mind. Umbrella stroller hurt his back and we rented the whole time. Big waste of money. I say sit and stand is best option. Too bad, I have one I need rid of.

Livelovedisney

When my kids were 4 and 6 My husband and I did not agree on this. He said no stroller and I said stroller. I insisted on at least the umbrella stroller. We didn't make it to the castle before he changed his mind. Umbrella stroller hurt his back and we rented the whole time. Big waste of money. I say sit and stand is best option. Too bad, I have one I need rid of.
I know my husband is trying to refrain from hauling so much stuff to the park. We are one good one that they kids never used because they wanted to be carried all the time, but our 2 year old is growing up now and it's a little harder to carry him for a long period of time. I really hope that my 5 year old will be okay with walking. Plus, since we will be spending most of the time in fantasyland I really do hope that she would be to excited to sit..haha

If I were in your boat, I would rent a double city mini from one of the local companies. My kids are 4, 4, 6 and we haven't use a stroller at home in a LONG TIME, but it was a real necessity at Disney. We had just a joe-schmoe stroller at home, but after I used the city mini I was kicking myself for not buying one when they were babies.

My oldest actually did walk the first 2.5 days entirely on his own (with some breaks in the double stroller), but there were times when when I wished I could've just given him the option of getting in the stroller to take a break. Especially at the end of the day or right before a break when you just want to have them jump in and you'll cruise them towards the exit.

An added benefit of a stroller is the ability to keep everyone together when it gets really crowded.

BrerWayne

I just got back a few days ago. I had my daughter who is 4 and a half, and my son who is 17 months. We rented a double stroller from Kingdom strollers and it was great. Stroller was clean. It had sunshades and an organizer/double cup holder. My daughter wanted to walk a lot but at times she was exhausted and just wanted to ride in the stroller. At first I was going to just bring an umbrella stroller but my wife talked me into renting the double and I am glad that we did. I also ordered a case of water for the hotel. While it was more expensive than buying water from Costco, it was WAY cheaper than buying bottles of water from the hotel.

Hawkeyegirl

My daughter was almost 4 at the time and used the stroller most of the day. Its a lot of miles to walk and we didn't want to wear her out too early (because then we would have to leave the park). I can only imagine she would need one at age 5 too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom