Bringing Car seats?

LaceyLC

Original Poster
We will be flying with our 3 yr old and 1 yr old for our 3 night/3 day trip. We are not planning on renting a car and just using Disney transportation to and from the airport and on-site. Is there any reason that we should bring car seats? I figure if we really get in a pinch, we would have to rent a car and get car seats there, but I didn't want to leave them if anyone can think of a good reason to bring them. Thank you!

gooftroop5

The ONLY reason (besides when we drive) we have ever brought a car seat to WDW was because the kid was still in the infant carrier (4 months old for youngest and 5 months old for middle). Is the 1 yr old sitting on your lap on the plane?

CAPTAIN HOOK

I can think of only one reason to take cars seats on vacation - and that's if you're renting a car.

Two adults, two very young children, two car seats, two, three or possibly four suitcases, a stroller or two - I wouldn't like to be behind you at airport check-in, baggage claim or loading onto the DME.

You've got enough to cope with without struggling with non-essentials

John C. Shepherd

We are in the same boat with a 4 year old, do we bring her booster seat. We can check it as a bag, but who knows if it will make it in one piece. We can buy one but do we even need it in a Van?

LaceyLC

Original Poster
Thank you for your responses! I won't bring ours.

I'd definitely bring a booster if you are renting a van (not just riding the buses). You can get bags specifically for car seats going through airports, some are at stores and some airlines provide a cheap plastic one. I know Southwest will if you ask. I think most airlines also wouldn't charge for a car seat, but double check!

If you are just riding in the buses, then you won't need your car seats. I went to WDW with my 4 month old, and I used a baby carrier (Beco Gemini) for him on the bus and then moved him to the stroller afterwards. The carrier was also great for rides, because he could just fall asleep in it, and unless the ride had a height restriction, he could ride the rides while in the carrier. We had our car seat, but that's only because we drove down and we used our car to resort hop one of the days, but if you are just planning on sticking to disney transportation you won't need the car seats.

HollyAD

We are in the same boat with a 4 year old, do we bring her booster seat. We can check it as a bag, but who knows if it will make it in one piece. We can buy one but do we even need it in a Van?

When we rented a car we just got one through the car rental company. It was much easier than dealing with a bulky item before and after our arrival.

boilerpicc

We have flown several times with a car seat. We always wrap ours in two heavy duty garbage bags, and then wrap some packing tape around it. We have never had any damage. If you use our method, I recommend packing scissors, extra garbage bags, and tape in your suitcase. The scissors are for unwrapping it when you get to your destination, and the other supplies are to repack it for your flight home.

Car/booster seats do not usually count as bag. We have never been charged for checking a car seat, stroller, or pack and play. If you are concerned about damage to your car seat, you can either take it on the plane with you if it is FAA approved or haul it to the gate and check it there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom