How crowded is it during spring break?

Melissa Strause

Original Poster
Hi all! So my annual pass expires at the beginning of April, and I don't really have the money to renew it right now, so I wanted to do at least one last trip. I'm heading over to London during my spring break (March 16th-21st), and was thinking of going to DL for the 13-15th. Is this a good idea, or would you recommend going over another weekend? Also, can someone recommend a good, but cheap motel/hotel that's still within walking distance to the parks? Thanks! :)

Figments Friend

Hi Melissa.

I am no 'expert' when it comes to crowd patterns at Disneyland during Spring Break, but i have visited in April and have done research into that time period that might help a little.

I usually avoid Spring Break periods when i can , as it can get crazy. Not just crowd levels, but the young crowd - teens and college age folks.
I learned the hard way one year in Florida when i went down to visit WDW during my birthday in mid-March.
Egad...never again !
:eek:

I visited Disneyland last April, during the last week. It was busier then i was expecting, but not so busy it effected you in a bad way.
The weeks before i had read ahead of time as being busier as Easter was very late last year and always effects crowd levels.

The general rule i have observed is that one should stay away during the two weeks leading up to Easter, and the two weeks afterwards.
So mid March through mid April is the main 'Spring Break' period when crowd levels may be up there.
Looking at your dates, it looks like you would be there during that busy period.

As far as 'cheap hotels' goes...i have two that i have good luck with that are both about a 5 to 10 minute walk to the front gates of the Parks.
The Quality Inn & Suites on Katella Ave, or the Stay America Suites on S. Clementine.
Most visitors want to stay at the many hotels lined up across the street from the Parks on Harbor Blvd., so those are options you may want to look into as well if that interests you.
I personally like my two picks as they are far enough removed from the busy 'tourist scene' that is on Harbor, but still close enough to the Parks to easily walk to.

Quality is a small motel, but nice for what it is.
I like it a lot, and usually stay here when in town. Fits my simple needs like a glove.
Full free breakfast in the morning is included, plus the usual hotel amenities.
They have two sizes of clean rooms with very comfy beds, and a friendly staff.
Rooms range from $69 to $112 depending on the season, but for April the last time i looked two weeks ago they were $81 a night.
The motel is located in a nice palm tree lined area within sight of DCA and is a short walk to DTD.

Stay America Suites is a hotel that has a 'apartment complex' feel to it.
It is a high rise hotel next door to a local shopping and dining complex called the Anaheim Gardenwalk.
All of it's rooms are suites that include a small full kitchen, and they have several room sizes to choose from.
The longer you stay, the less you pay per night, so if you are staying a week or more this may be a better price option then the Quality Inn.
Average is $69 to $89 off season ( week long stay rate )...slightly more possible during peak times.

Hope this helps you out some !
:)

Last edited:

ght

This year I would expect the last week of March and the first week of April to be the most crowded. That is when most of the California schools are on spring break. March 13-15th shouldn't be too bad. We are going the 18-22nd, which is mostly AZ crowds. We expect it to be somewhat crowded but not like it will be at the end of the month. Keep in mind the are a lot of closures during that timeframe:

Matterhorn
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes
Winnie the Pooh
Splash Mountain
Peter Pan
Muppet Vision (replaced by the new Frozen Sing Along show)
Blue Sky Cellar
Soarin'
Grizzly River Run
Luigi's Flying Tires (will likely be replaced with something (hopefully) better)

Melissa Strause

Original Poster
Would you consider reporting the crowd level for that week Melissa? Pretty please... We are going the first week in march and would like to be prepared... :) Thank you!!!

Yeah, of course! I'll message you when I get back and let you know! Looks like it should be fairly light according to the crowd calendars I've seen though :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom