The "BRING IT BACK!" thread

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I often think about the seriously awesome offerings/attractions that are no longer here and have gone to Yesterland. I was most recently thinking about Date Nite at Disneyland. In the 50's and 60's, Disneyland advertised "Date Nite at Disneyland", where the park encouraged couples to visit the park for music, dancing, and rides. Disneyland sold separate Date Nite tickets that granted admission after 5 PM. Like the AP parties, there were specific rides that were open. The theme song was "Let's Dance at Disneyland", performed by Elliott Brothers Orchestra. The Mark Twain also hosted as a dance floor for couples. Speaking of that, Disney needs to bring live bands and dancing back to the Mark Twain, too! BRING BACK DATE NITE AT DISNEYLAND!

DISNEYLAND+DATE+NITE+TICKET.jpg

datenite_A_front.jpg

Screen%20shot%202012-05-28%20at%206.59.18%20PM.png

2904394640_35f235ff9d_z.jpg

2838766111_45942a31c0.jpg

Some very cool fan-made posters:

disneyland2.png

dateniteatdisneyland.png

enhanced-buzz-28498-1374769585-29.jpg

They need to bring something like this back, ASAP:

Itunes sells the Date Nite at Disneyland album for just $9.99!

wm-wdl3035-front.jpg

This thread is for Yesterland offerings/attraction we wish were still offered. Feel free to mention something you wish were still available at Disneyland.

JediMasterMatt

Cool pics and a great trip down memory lane.

Of course date night these days would look considerably different and they would need to make room for all the twerking.

While I do like the local flavor of Disneyland, my preference would be to keep the social event gathering types of things out in Downtown Disney. The parks already have too much of a Friday/Saturday after school hangout vibe.

George Lucas on a Bench

Another thing is the difference between the Peoplemovers. It's awesome and always has been one of my favorite things at WDW, but Disneyland's went over the Autopia, alongside the Monorail, had covered cars, a more narrow trackway, the SuperSpeed/TRON tunnel, etc. So it's the same basic concept, but somehow very different experiences.

One thing Magic Kingdom sort of has on Disneyland is the really high Astro Orbiter, although somehow it's a bit of a tossup because Disneyland still gives breathtaking views of the castle and hub.

Mike S

Another thing is the difference between the Peoplemovers. It's awesome and always has been one of my favorite things at WDW, but Disneyland's went over the Autopia, alongside the Monorail, had covered cars, a more narrow trackway, the SuperSpeed/TRON tunnel, etc. So it's the same basic concept, but somehow very different experiences.
We have a roof over the PeopleMover track in MK so would we have really needed covered cars? The rest I can agree with. Makes me wish it was still open over there.

Marc Gil

Yes! Date Nites at Disneyland should make a glorious return to Disneyland for the 60th!

In other news, I think Carousel of Progress should return in its rightful place at Disneyland as well as the Progress City post show exhibit. While they're at it, they should restore the show to its 1967 format. Too bad we don't live in a perfect world though.

Disneylanders will definitely appreciate the attraction more than average WDW tourists. Plus Innoventions at Disneyland is a waste of space and time.

Little Green Men

One thing Magic Kingdom sort of has on Disneyland is the really high Astro Orbiter, although somehow it's a bit of a tossup because Disneyland still gives breathtaking views of the castle and hub.
WDW's People mover also goes in Space Mountain a lot further than Disneyland's, I think that only passed the ride briefly, while WDW's encircles the ride. Unfortunately half the time is dark now, but you can still see it towards the end. I don't think a narrow track was a benefit, it would've had to meet the same fate as Alice in Wonderland's outdoor track, would they have been able to widen the track?

Even though AO is further away you can still get a great view of the castle as well as the Contemporary and see all around Tomorrowland.

TP2000

How did I miss this thread back in December @raven24?!? It's fantastic. And I couldn't agree more about Date Nite. It needs to come back for '15, with an updated version of the theme song jingle.

At the top of my list is also the PeopleMover, Presented by Goodyear. I still get my tires replaced at the Goodyear shop here in Villa Park because of decades-old fond memories of the PeopleMover.

Riding the WDW version on my occasional trips to Florida is a melancholy must, but it's not the same. The Disneyland version from 1967 was like a really big backyard model train set made to 7/8th's scale and a 1960's Futurama sensibility, all set to a Go-Go-Goodyear soundtrack.

peoplemover-771635.jpg

The later WDW version of the PeopleMover is full-sized, covered and shielded due to the horrible Orlando climate, and is like the grown up commercial version used to pitch the concept to boring commissioners from a big Airport Authority or Urban Renewal Board circa 1975.

We might consider buying a PeopleMover, but it's not on our agenda for Fiscal Year '75!
130814214515-20-marijuana-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Like much of what makes Anaheim so different from Orlando, the Disneyland version of the PeopleMover had an inherent charm, a happy 7/8th's scale, and a chirpy design sensibility that the bigger, heavier, more serious WDW versions of things almost always seem to lack.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

We have a roof over the PeopleMover track in MK so would we have really needed covered cars? The rest I can agree with. Makes me wish it was still open over there.
Yeah, not really. Roof is kind of a Florida necessity. They can still run the PeopleMover during a thunderstorm with the roof. So the cars didn't need to be covered.

Only thing I'm unsure I would have liked with the DL Peoplemover was the lack of railings. If there were an emergency, how would you get off? Would you fall off the tracks?

It would still be neat if they were able to bring it back, though.

TP2000

Only thing I'm unsure I would have liked with the DL Peoplemover was the lack of railings. If there were an emergency, how would you get off? Would you fall off the tracks?

The indoor track portions had walkways alongside. About half of the outdoor track portions had a platform or walkway alongside, like this.
Tomorrowland%2B1%2Bcopy.jpeg

But then there were lengthy stretches of track that were narrow and had no platform or walkway to speak of, like this...
KSTPBK_9_67_N198R.jpg

twidh_0817_peoplemover_500.jpg

The PeopleMover went way out to the edge of the Fantasyland Autopia (there were two separate Autopia attractions in those days), and along the new It's A Small World expansion area. It was a 15 minute long ride!
WayOverTomorrowland2.jpg

When the ride opened in 1967 the cars were wide open above the fuselage, as seen in the photos above. Safety rails were quickly added to each car in 1968, and there were a couple different versions of these railings over the next 20 years. Here's an early 1970's version of the safety rails on each car. Also notice that the propulsion Goodyear tires and mechanisms in the track were covered up by the early 1970's, for both safety and aesthetics.
056-PM.jpg

And finally, here's about the only photo of Walt on the PeopleMover. Or in this case, the mock up PeopleMover under development and testing at Imagineering. This was taken on WDI's Glendale campus in 1966, before Walt passed away in December of that year. The PeopleMover opened at Disneyland in July, 1967.
4562298-19979467-thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:

Figments Friend

What a great overview of the PeopleMover, TP.
Nice photos too...as usual!
;)

Although i missed my chance to ride DL's version of the Attraction, i would say if i were to choose one element to 'bring back' to the Park my vote would be for the PeopleMover for sure.
Not only does it look great and provide a nice scenic ride around different areas of Tomorowland and beyond, it also created that appealing kinetic movement to the area that is sorely lacking now.
Even though i did'nt get to attach any 'memories' to DL's version, it still makes me sad when i look up at those tracks and see...well...nothing moving.

When i see those great old films of Disneyland back in the late 60s, the movement of the PM really adds a lot to the area.
So wish that element was still there...in some form or another...even if it was just 'fake' vehicles traversing the track. Some kind of activity...

I love the WDW PeopleMover experience. Sit back, relax...and let the world below you pass by as you view from above.
Wish the views to had from inside 'Space Mountain' were as they were before ( instead of just blackness now..) but at least Florida still has it active.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom