NFL 2014 Discussion Thread

NYwdwfan

Ballgazi...

b72kjpriiae3olc.jpg

More fun at - http://bustedcoverage.com/2015/01/21/patriots-deflated-balls-memes-deflategate-ballghazi/

My favorite:

image.jpg

Pocahontas

A lot of people are saying that the improper inflation of the balls didn't make a difference in gameplay/didn't give the Pats an unfair advantage - and they could be right.

However, the fact that they KNOWINGLY and ILLEGALLY inflated the balls outside of the NFL's standards is embarrassing, to be honest. All of that to get a so-called "advantage" they didn't even need. It was a dumb decision and made them look bad. Especially because the Patriots are a legitimately good team and they shouldn't have to pull stuff like that.

Flower'sChild

It would be so nice if I could listen to someone from a sports TV broadcast or sports radio broadcast talk about something other than deflated footballs when they talk about the AFC Championship game. I just want to hear a sports show on TV or the radio talk about the actual game just one time. When they talk about the AFC Championship all they talk about is the deflated footballs.

I think people are making way too big a deal out of these deflated footballs. First of all I'm not so sure I even believe the story. Also even if this story is true I am sure all 32 teams have cheated one way or another at some time. The problem I have is people only seem to go after the New England Patriots when they think they are cheating and not the other NFL teams.

Some people are even saying that the NFL should tell New England that they can't play in the Super Bowl. What will people think of next?

Anyways one of the biggest problems I have with all of this is that this is about the only thing that people are talking about when they talk about the New England Patriots.

PUSH

Original Poster
This has to be the worst week in Mike McCarthy's life. Not only did he lose the most heartbreaking game in his career, but he lost his little brother, Joe, who died yesterday at the age of 47.

squidward

The rule states, a football must measure between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds of pressure per square inch. Tom Brady has said on multiple occasions, he prefers a softer football. Each team prepares their own footballs before the game for the officials to check. Given that Brady likes a softer football, he has the ball boys prepare the Patriots footballs to 12.5psi. Completely legal. Given that the balls then deflate when put in different weather conditions, if the ball drops 1psi, the ball would technically be under the limit. However, this isn't Brady or the Patriots fault. If the NFL has a problem with it, change the rule to say the psi must be 13.5.

As for the Colts footballs not deflating at all, nobody said that. It was just said that they all were in the average range of 12.5 to 13.5psi at halftime. So, if Andrew Luck likes a harder football (which most QB's do), he'd have his ball boy inflate the ball with 13.5psi. If it dropped 1psi during the game, when tested at halftime, it would still be within legal range.

NYwdwfan

From NFL mobile:

Published: Jan. 26, 2015 at 04:40 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 26, 2015 at 05:17 p.m.
FOX Sports: NFL zeroes in on locker-room attendant
_Sessler-65x90.jpg

Marc Sessler
Around the NFL Writer
The NFL's inquiry into whether the New England Patriots intentionally deflated footballs in the AFC Championship Game has taken a new turn.

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reported Monday that the league's investigation has Colts.

Glazer reported that the person of interest was already interviewed by NFL officials. The league is trying to determine whether any wrongdoing occurred.

Attorney Ted Wells, who is leading the investigation along with NFL executive vice president Jeff Pash, released a statement on the matter Monday:

"We are in the process of conducting a thorough investigation on the issue of the footballs used in the AFC Championship. This work began last week, stretched through the weekend, and is proceeding expeditiously this week notwithstanding the Tom Brady told ESPN during halftime of Sunday's doesn't expect to speak to NFL investigators until after the big game.

The new findings come just two days after Patriots coach Bill Belichickaggressively defended his team's integrity, while acknowledging that he was "embarrassed" at how much time he spent on the subject in the lead up to Super Bowl XLIX.

"We have a huge game, a huge challenge for our football team," Belichick said Saturday, adding: "I've spent more than enough time on this."

Belichick might not want to answer any more questions about deflated pigskin, but he isn't about to get his wish. This topic isn't going away.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast reacts to the Patriots' deflated footballs controversy and tells you whom to trust in Super Bowl XLIX. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

wdwfan4ver

Junior Seau,Will Shields, Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown, Charles Haley, Mick Tinglehoff, Boll Polian, and Ron Wolf are now 2015 members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class.

wdwfan4ver

I am not shocked Shields got in instead of Orlando Pace. I thought it was a 50/50 shot of that happening. I am mixed on Bettis getting in. Bettis getting inducted this year isn't that much of a shock to me. The amount of yard he has is hard to ignore despite averaging 3.9 yards a carry.

I thought Tim Brown was getting to get in this year because of a pattern at the Wide Receiver position in recent years in times for voting for Wide Receivers that wait longer.

Mick Tinglehoff getting in isn't a shock. He actually was a player that got overlooked despite being the NFL's best Center in the 1960's with Jim Otto being the best Center in the AFL. Mick being overlooked was caused by the Vikings losing 4 super Bowls when he played. The first thing you think of those Viking teams was the defense being known as the Purple People Eaters. The 2nd thing is Fran Tarkenton was the biggest name on Offense for 3 out of the 4 Super Bowls the Vikings went to.

This also helps the Senior Committee in terms of opening a spot for another Senior Committee Candidate to get on the Pro Football hall of Fame Ballot for Jerry Krame, Johnny Robinson, or Chuck Howley as examples.

Charles Haley getting in isn't a shock.

I know Brett Favre, Terrell Owens, Alan Faneca, and Clinton Portis is eligible for the 2016 Pro Football hall of Fame class. Clinton Portis doesn't hase a chance being a finalist for 2016. Brett is a First Ballot to me. Owens is going wait since Marvin Harrison isn't in plus his baggage as a player isn't going to help matters for him although he is likely to be a finalist next season. I see Faneca being a finalist next season, but he isn't a sure thing getting in since Orlando Pace is on the ballot for the 2016 class.

Last edited:

PUSH

Original Poster
Good day for Packers fans. Rodgers wins his second MVP, and Ron Wolf enters the Hall of Fame. I'm actually shocked Wolf made it in. But he deserves it. He turned Green Bay from the losing team it was in the 70s and 80s into the team it is today. He made the move for Favre and put Green Bay back on the map. He was able to sign Reggie White to a team nobody wanted to go to. He is the mastermind behind the success Green Bay has had over the past two and a half decades.

And while today is a good day, tommorow (which is technically today) is going to be a somber one. I already know every minute of the game tomorrow I'll be thinking "what if".

HakunaMatata89

this is all a consipriacy theory started by Seattle so they could sneak down to Arizona and returf the field with special grass to enhance their permformance.

might as well call off the game tomorow and give my Pats the trophy now.

wdwfan4ver

Good day for Packers fans. Rodgers wins his second MVP, and Ron Wolf enters the Hall of Fame. I'm actually shocked Wolf made it in. But he deserves it. He turned Green Bay from the losing team it was in the 70s and 80s into the team it is today. He made the move for Favre and put Green Bay back on the map. He was able to sign Reggie White to a team nobody wanted to go to. He is the mastermind behind the success Green Bay has had over the past two and a half decades.
I wasn't shocked that Ron Wolf made it. I actually had him making it. I looked the impact Ron did with the Raiders besides the Packers. I remembered how back the Packers were in the1980's and the people who were Gm's of the organization didn't help matters.

The Raiders were at their best when Ron was Al's right hand man. After Ron left the Raiders, the Raiders only went to one Super Bowl. The Raiders already had signs of problems before the organization completely fall apart after the Tampa Bay loss in the Super Bowl. The Raiders depended on free agent signings at key positions in terms of why they went to Super Bowl. Al Davis had some problems drafting at certain positions in the 1990's. They had to do the Free Agent route for Quarterbacks multiple times in the 1990's and explained why Tim Brown played with average or bad Quarterbacks in most of his Hall of Fame Career.

After Ron left around 1989 or 1990 for the Jets, the Raiders were usually a 8-8,7-9, or 9-7 club before 2000. The Raiders 4 year resurgence that ended with them losing to Tampa Bay in the Super Bowl was partly caused by the free agent signings they had.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom