Do you think it is time to update our nighttime spectacular parade? Possibly Paint The Night Parade?

MerlinTheGoat

I'm quite new to the whole WDW thing, what happened to Spectromagic? My first visit to MK was after MSEP came back.
Spectromagic was placed in storage in 2010 while MSEP was being cycled instead. Unfortunately, a few years later when they went to refurbish and bring back the parade it was discovered that the floats had been seriously damaged from improper storage conditions (apparently in a non climate controlled environment, exposed to the elements as well as insects). Someone decided the floats had sustained too much damage to repair (at least within the budget they were given anyways) and had all the floats destroyed. To add insult to this, they sold pieces of the scrap attached to pins for keepsakes. Disgusting...

DisneyManOne

My possibility is very simple: bring back SpectroMagic (I don't care if the floats are destroyed, they can re-build them!) and move MSEP back to Disneyland (once they decide to get rid of Paint the Night).

TTA94

My possibility is very simple: bring back SpectroMagic (I don't care if the floats are destroyed, they can re-build them!) and move MSEP back to Disneyland (once they decide to get rid of Paint the Night).

They will probably ship Paint The Night to WDW in a couple years lol

tigger1968

Spectromagic was placed in storage in 2010 while MSEP was being cycled instead. Unfortunately, a few years later when they went to refurbish and bring back the parade it was discovered that the floats had been seriously damaged from improper storage conditions (apparently in a non climate controlled environment, exposed to the elements as well as insects). Someone decided the floats had sustained too much damage to repair (at least within the budget they were given anyways) and had all the floats destroyed. To add insult to this, they sold pieces of the scrap attached to pins for keepsakes. Disgusting...

It amazes me that after 40+ years of operating a massive entity like WDW in the environment that is Florida, the powers that be can still not have the foresight to properly store something like a parade float so as to keep it from deteriorating. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I'd like to see a new parade come to WDW. I love MSEP actually, (Baroque Hoedown is one of my favorite earworms :)) but it's been around forever, and it's really run it's course. Put it in mothballs and drag it out every once in a while, like they did when we had Spectromagic.

4disneylovers

I think the Paint the Night parade looks cool. I wasn't very fond of Spectromagic. I think it was the music that I didn't care for. I was thankful to see MSEP return. This is probably because it is what I remember as a child. I would be fine with a new parade as long as the music is good.

Dgeek

Here's a new and radical thought. Why not come up with something New and original for a nighttime parade instead of cloning something from other parks or rehashing an old idea?

Magenta Panther

Yeah, it's like when the Disney Store suddenly featured Maelstrom T-shirts just before the Maelstrom-into-Frozen announcement. My uncle bought a Maelstrom T-shirt to show his support for the attraction. He felt that he got used. I refrained from saying "I told you so..." :cautious:

Monkee Girl

That's awful what happened to Spectro! I never heard that before. :oops:

I love the MSEP. It's so nostalgic and I love that it features characters that you don't see spotlighted enough in the parks. It's the only place you can see Pete and Elliot! And features all of my favorite stories like Peter Pan and Pinocchio. The music is great too and I think the characters interact with the audience the most with with parade. There is just something so special about it. I make sure I get over to the MK at night to catch the 11pm showing. And a little thing: I love the patriotic costumes the girls wear at the end. Down to the shoes. I look forward to that part of the show just to see them in the outfits.

Sure, a new show would be cool too. I enjoyed SpectroMagic very much and would like to see what else they can do. But I would be completely happy if they kept MSEP as well. They have changed so much of my favorite park elements to appeal to the 'younger' generation...it's nice to have something nostalgic like this just for people like me. And all the kids I have sat around for the Parade love it.

rodserling27

I haven't posted here in forever...so Hi agin everyone!

My favorite topic! The MSEP is, and always will be, THE highlight of a trip to WDW for me. It screams "classic Disney" to me. From the opening fanfare to the lights out, the music, the classic floats...safe to say it's definitely my favorite attraction. Sure the old music was better and even the old version of the parade may have been a little better, but I like it just the way it is. I never got the fanatical love for SpectroMagic. Yeah, it was a cool parade and all, but took itself way too seriously. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

Personally, I find the Dreamlights version in Tokyo to be a little too gaudy and outlandish looking vs the charming look of MSEP (or even Spectro!). It's too much for me to handle. That being said, I wouldn't mind an upgrade or modern treatment refurb of the MSEP. Maybe a new float here and there, upgrade the lights once more on existing floats, add some new effects. and boom, you've got a little more contemporary version of the parade.

Everything I've seen from pain the night I absolutely dislike. But I will be in Disneyland for the 60th this year so I will reserve judgment!

JustInTime

I LOVE this. My only complaint is that I wish ALL the costumes had lights. Like Buzz and Woody. And I feel like it needs one more huge float. Possibly another princess float. For sure needs something more classic in there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Paint the Night is a bit..... Brash.

It seems to appeal to the eastern pop culture as opposed to being more refined for the classic western Mk setting.

How well it's adjusted for Disneyland will be interesting to see.

Sage of Time

Paint the Night is a bit..... Brash.

It seems to appeal to the eastern pop culture as opposed to being more refined for the classic western Mk setting.

How well it's adjusted for Disneyland will be interesting to see.
Something tells me there won't be much "adjustment". Sadly.

Figments Friend

DLR's version of 'Paint The Night' will be slightly different from what you are seeing overseas right now.
Disneyland is getting additional floats added to there version, and the Parade will include much less 'Pixar' and far more traditional classic 'Disney' references.
That alone should make a big improvement to the overall Show.

Also, the soundtrack for the US version is said to be slightly different.
Will be interesting to hear how different it will be when all is said and done.

SnarkyMonkey

That's awful what happened to Spectro! I never heard that before. :oops:

It's interesting because I would never have imagined that Disney would be so careless. But, as meticulous as things are on-stage, things look quite disshelved often off stage. I was just in another thread about the former Fort Wilderness Railroad. Apparently, when they were finished with it, they just threw the cars in a shed and most of them ended up badly damaged.

imagineer boy

I think MSEP or Spectro should be updated with better floats and the latest LED lights and other special effects.

I agree that paint the night is a little too over the top with its visuals and flashiness. But I think some of it's moments were interesting and I think if some of that technology was put to use in one of the older shows I think it could be great.

Last edited:

Walter Elias Disney

Original Poster
I haven't posted here in forever...so Hi agin everyone!

My favorite topic! The MSEP is, and always will be, THE highlight of a trip to WDW for me. It screams "classic Disney" to me. From the opening fanfare to the lights out, the music, the classic floats...safe to say it's definitely my favorite attraction. Sure the old music was better and even the old version of the parade may have been a little better, but I like it just the way it is. I never got the fanatical love for SpectroMagic. Yeah, it was a cool parade and all, but took itself way too seriously. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

Personally, I find the Dreamlights version in Tokyo to be a little too gaudy and outlandish looking vs the charming look of MSEP (or even Spectro!). It's too much for me to handle. That being said, I wouldn't mind an upgrade or modern treatment refurb of the MSEP. Maybe a new float here and there, upgrade the lights once more on existing floats, add some new effects. and boom, you've got a little more contemporary version of the parade.

Everything I've seen from pain the night I absolutely dislike. But I will be in Disneyland for the 60th this year so I will reserve judgment!
Welcome back and thanks for posting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom