3D Overkill?

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
3D screens are able to produce depths and effects than physical sets and animatronics cannot replicate. The interior of Gringotts bank is of a far greater scope than physically possible. Same with Forbidden Journey.

3D attractions are able to provide thrills than physically sets cannot because physical sets lack the ability to effectively interact with passengers, in most cases. Otherwise, it's just a show. Some examples of a show are great (Pirates, Haunted Mansion). Others are awful (Little Mermaid).

The technology used to create excitement and fun is mostly irrelevant. It all depends on how well they are used within the context of what is trying to be accomplished.

The mere presence of physical effects doesn't make the attraction great. Peter Pan, Stitch, and Little Mermaid aren't better than Transformers or Despicable Me.
Yes but saying that actual sets is just a show is like saying 3D is just a movie. I am not saying there is no place for 3D. But actual sets, when done well are just preferred by me. I know I am seeing a screen and that is not as visually pleasing to me always as an animatronic. I like a balance with both. I enjoy the final scene of Poseidon's Fury more than anything on Transformers.

Tony Perkis

Now you got me thinking where are these screens throughout the Mummy??? I don't remember many at all?? I have been on that ride enough to have memorized it so ......
The giant face at the start of the ride is a big one. The 3 sided screen with the bugs in the middle is another biggie.

champdisney

Speaking of Revenge of the Mummy... Does anyone know the status of the Imhotep AA that we first encounter on the ride? I was there this past Tuesday when I noticed this. I would assume it's under repairs, right?

JoeCamel

Speaking of Revenge of the Mummy... Does anyone know the status of the Imhotep AA that we first encounter on the ride? I was there this past Tuesday when I noticed this. I would assume it's under repairs, right?

I was there the week before and the AA was working perfectly

orlando678-

That's a really cool AA, some people I know have never been to Orlando and they were like wait so that's not a real person? I hope it returns. It is one of the few AAs from Universal

Skip

I actually wrote an extensive piece about my mixed feelings on Universal's continued implementations of 3D, and how it fits into the overall theme park landscape on my personal blog. (It's also a review of Escape from Gringotts, but hey.) Read up if you'd like.

IAmFloridaBorn

Screens. Screens are becoming apart of our lives. Tablets, and Ipads and all that are everywhere. Ease of access. Ability to choose what is displayed and what it does.
I Love full sets on rides, but in roller coasters or extreme motion based rides, who really has time to look at physical sets?

Maybe because we are theme park freaks, we notice these things but I wonder if the average goer who may come from a place where they have a thrill park instead of a theme park would even care to put on 3d glasses 10 times through-out their 1 or 2 day visit in a park they wont come to for another 2-5 years? They probably don't mind as long as they are immersed into the attraction.

There are 14 attractions not including shows at USF that require a wait time (not to be confused with a pre-scheduled time). Of those 15 attractions, 11 use screens.
MIB, ET, Woody Wood , and Kang and Kudos are the only attractions that do not use screens. Of those 11 that use screens of any type, 4 of those attractions are 3D. Not overkill IMO.

Now if you want to say that screens are over used, sure okay. But 3D technology, not at all. The fact that 3D rides have been most of the recent additions should let you know that theme park technology is expanding and too bad your local six flags can't get on board, but UNI can.

orlando678-

Harry potter and the forbidden journey, Gringott's, Despicable me, Transformers, Terminator and Shrek are 3d right? Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a four years or so since my last visit.

Jahona

Universal Studios Orlando 3D Rides
Transformers 3D
Despicable Me Minion Mayhem
Terminator 2
Escape from Gringotts.
Shrek 4D

Island of Adventure 3D Rides.
The Amazing Spider-Man

So 6 Rides total.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Transformers 3D
Terminator 2
Escape from Gringotts.
Shrek 4D

The Amazing Spider-Man
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey

So 7 Rides total.
HPatFJ is not 3D. Only Spider-man is 3D at IOA. So, 6 rides total.

At WDW you have:
Philharmagic
Muppets
Star Tours
TSMM
EO
ITTBAB

So, 6 attraction total.

JordanNite

Screens are fantastic, but they do need a few more physical experiences - although i'm not talking about scarily crazy fast paced type experience.

The Harry Potter Foribbiden Journey combines both beautifully. I think Despicable Me is a little too much overkill, bit then i think something like ET or Peter Pan is a little too stale and out of date.

IAmFloridaBorn

Transformers 3D
Terminator 2
Escape from Gringotts.
Shrek 4D

The Amazing Spider-Man

So 6 Rides total.
Terminator isn't a ride.
I specified my post precisely with rides at USF although i didn't say rides i said not to include shows which terminator is a show. I should have worded it better, sorry!
There are a total of 5 rides and UOR with 3D Screens and 1 Show (Terminator).
4 of the rides are at USF and 1 at IOA. I was emphasizing the fact that there aren't that many rides with 3D like some people like to exaggerate about lol. 5 rides out of 31 rides with 3D. Not overkill lol. 6 attractions out of 42 attractions isnt bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom