Trip Report WDW Trip #8 - Insert Snappy Title Here

Well, I've decided I can't keep this under my hat for much longer. So, here we go.

Hello everyone, and welcome aboard this WDW trip report. Join me as I will relay to you the story of my next WDW trip before, during and after. Though this will be my eighth visit to WDW, it will also be my first since joining this forum. Furthermore, I have also posted trip reports from some of my previous trips (and you will find the links to these further down), I have never done a trip report "live" as it were. So, this will be new ground!

During my time here, I've learned of all sorts of things relating to WDW that I never knew about before, and hopefully as I plan my adventure and subsequently embark on it, I will discover further things. You readers out there may even be able to assist me and pass on some of the wonderful advice you've gathered over your visits. Perhaps by reading this report you may even learn something yourself. Or you might find it incredibly boring! At the very least, it is a place for me to gather my thoughts together. If you have any comments, queries, observations or whatever, just chuck them in. I'm always willing to listen to suggestions and answer questions. So, if you are sitting comfortably, por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas! Relax, enjoy and remember to keep your hands and arms inside the thread at all times. And please, no flash pictures.

As this is the main thread of the report, I will attempt to summarise here the salient points of my trip in it's various stages. I shall most likely go into further depth in individual posts.

And now, without further ado, let's get down to business.

The trip begins in   

Current Status

• 2014-10-21 - Accommodation and park tickets booked and deposit paid.
  • 2014-10-23 - Flights booked.
  • 2015-01-25 - Balance paid.
  • 2015-02-22 - Airport hotel booked for night before departure.
  • 2015-03-11 - ADR booked for San Angel Inn.
(Last updated: March 11, 2015)

Previous Trip Reports

WDW Trip #4 - Retro Disney (1997 Edition)
WDW Trip #5 - Retro Disney II (1998/99 Edition)
WDW Trip #7 - It Never Gets Old (2012 Edition)

The Who

The cast of this trip consists of four people:

• Me. This will be my eighth WDW trip. Also, I have been on a day trip to DLP.
  • My brother. This will be his sixth WDW trip, and he has been on two DLP day trips.
  • My folks, who will be on their ninth WDW trip. Additionally, my dad has visited DL in California at least once.

The Where

Coincidentally, both groups are planning to stay at Coronado Springs. We made our decisions independently of each other. My brother and I, having stayed at Value Tier resorts for the past few trips, sampling each of the All Star resorts, felt that we should move on up to the next tier. Since the DME bus passed through Coronado Springs on the way back to MCO last time and we liked the look of the place, we settled on that one. My folks on the other hand are seasoned Moderate Tier guests, but having stayed at Port Orleans/Dixie Landings twice now, they felt they wanted a change, so they too picked Coronado Springs.

Now, though we all wish to stay at the same resort, it is still quite likely that my brother and I will book our holiday separately to my folks. Officially, this is so that we can customise our trips and we may not necessarily want the same extras as each other. But, primarily it is for selfish reasons. You see, my brother and I are dual UK/US citizens, and past experiences with travelling to the US have shown that this allows us to get through the immigration procedure super-quick, and as long as our luggage arrives at the baggage reclaim in good time, we can be on the DME and on our way to WDW whilst the last few passengers are still getting their passports stamped. Last time, we clocked a Plane-to-Pirates time (i.e. the time taken from the plane arriving at the gate to boarding POTC) at 2 hours and 37 minutes; a record we want to try and break next time around!

However, due to the room type I preferred not being available at CSR at the time of booking, we've elected for Caribbean Beach instead.

The When

During our last trip, we experienced mostly good weather and low-ish crowd levels, so we are aiming for the same time of year again. Thus, we are planning our trip for September 2015, lasting for ten days. As yet, we haven't decided on dates, but due to things happening at home and elsewhere, it is likely to be towards the start of that month. Early indications suggested a possible departure date of September 07, 2015, which I believe is Labor Day in the US.

The What

Well, obviously the primary reason for the trip is to visit WDW. On top of that, there is talk of perhaps going on a day trip to Sea World, and maybe even further afield.

On the WDW side, I am insisting that each participant has to try an attraction they have never tried before. The new Fantasyland may help with this one!

The Why

You don't really need this one explaining, do you?

The How

It will be the usual transporation method. Fly from LGW to MCO and then get to the resort via the DME bus. The exact method of getting from home to LGW is an entirely separate matter and is probably of little or no interest to you readers.

Last edited:

The Mighty Tim

Original Poster
October 21, 2014

It is now official. Disney Trip #8 is a go! The accommodation and park tickets are booked, however I'm too far out to book the flights - that comes tomorrow. The reason the trip was booked today is that today was the last day they were running a special deal which includes free dining, $100 spending money and other bits and pieces.

Our choice of accommodation has also been switched. The room type I wanted was not available at Coronado Springs (presumably due to a convention?), so we've all decided to go to Caribbean Beach instead.

And now the countdown begins. 320 days to go...

The Mighty Tim

Original Poster
October 23, 2014

The flights are now booked. But I've still got a long wait.

Also, I posted this a few days later than I wanted to.

mrdrift

Congrats on taking the first step of booking the resort. Also you have the second step of booking air. Will be watching for more of the pre trip report.

The Mighty Tim

Original Poster
February 19, 2015

T-200 days and counting. Though it does mean that soon it will be time to book ADRs. I've never actually done that before, believe it or not. In past trips, I've either just munched my way around quick service restaurants, returned to the resort, gone to DTD or gone "off campus" as I like to say. In the past, we have successfully managed a walk up to a table service restaurant, though that was many years ago (and besides, on those trips, being a teenager or younger, I let my folks deal with the organisational side of things!). We tried on the last trip to do the same and get walkups, but we were unsuccessful.

As for actually where to go, well my brother has hinted that he might want to treat everyone to the restaurant inside the Mexico pavilion which overlooks the ride (the name of said restaurant escapes me). We were also thinking about the Japanese Teppanyaki place as well. Nothing has been firmly decided but we have just under three weeks until we hit the 180 days to go mark.

Interesting unrelated factoid: I'm going on a short getaway at the end of March, as I couldn't wait until September to get away for a bit. By sheer coincidence, the day that we leave for our March holiday is exactly half way between the day we booked the Disney trip and the day we arrive in WDW.

The Mighty Tim

Original Poster
February 22, 2015

Just booked a room at an airport hotel for the night before the departure. Makes the trip down to LGW less stressful. Besides, I had a whole bunch of Holiday Inn points that were going unused.

Also, it brings the holiday one day closer (though since I won't be in WDW any sooner, my actual countdown will remain as is!)

The Mighty Tim

Original Poster
February 25, 2015 (194 days to go)

So, POTC is going to be under refurbishment during the next trip. This affects the tradition that POTC is the very first and very last attractions of the trip that we ride at the MK. Not to mention that I now need to find a different attraction to measure my Plane-to-Pirates time against. But I'll deal with that later.

In other news, I found out today that there is a teeny, tiny, minuscule chance that my WDW plans may be disrupted due to work stuff. However, since I've already booked and paid for my WDW trip, if they desperately need me for this work thing, then they'll have to compensate me. Chances are my trip won't be affected though, so don't worry, readers!

The Mighty Tim

Original Poster
March 10, 2015 (181 days to go)

This probably sounds like a noob thing, but I just discovered that I can customise the colour of my Magic Band as well as the name that appears on it, all from the Disney website. I didn't know that was a thing. I thought we just got what we were given. Shows how much I know. Looks like I'll be playing with that later!

Anyway, tomorrow marks the 180 days to go point, meaning I can book restaurants. Decision time looms!

The Mighty Tim

Original Poster
March 11, 2015 (180 days to go)

Well, we only wanted one ADR for definite, and we got it. Dinner at the San Angel Inn is booked! We may yet add more ADRs in the future, but this is one we definitely wanted.

The Mighty Tim

Original Poster
May 31, 2015 (99 days to go)

I don't like this waiting game. Seems like I'm waiting forever. But now at least I'm in double figures in terms of days to go!

Last weekend, I selected my seats on the flights, so that's another thing crossed off the list of things to do!

The Mighty Tim

Original Poster
July 26, 2015 (43 days to go)

With a shade over six weeks to go, it's time to reveal my latest invention.

People who know me will know I'm a bit of a geek. One only needs to look at my geek out thread to see the sorts of geekery I get up to! My latest Disney/geek mashup has resulted in my Disney Ride Tracker, which I intend to fill out as I go. I've also designed it so that people can see it as I update it. If you're interested in that sort of thing.

Anyway, I field tested it with the notes I made about my previous trip when I got back, so you can take a look. What do you think?

You can find it here: http://bit.ly/1D3xu7p. Enjoy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom