A Spirited Perfect Ten

BrerJon

How many of the 4 children will he have to give up to pull this off? @ParentsOfZero. It's not like kids need their parents these days what with the internets and YouTubes and Minecrafters.

Maybe the board would just make him ParentsOfFive instead - Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, Donald...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think I'm like 22 pages behind, maybe more, so please excuse me, but I'm jumping ahead because it's either that or not taking part at all right now.

I see the topic du jour is the Huff Po business column from today. I have a lot of thoughts about it. It reads a lot like a NYT piece and I say that with admiration.

The one thing that absolutely had me on the floor (much like Menken's music in Galavant) was the writer's descriptions of Jay Rasulo as ''an often puckish glad hander'' and Tom Staggs as an ''oddly waifish man of anemic personality'' ... I gotta admit that I've never heard them described that way before yet it rings so accurate. And you know damn well, it will be water cooler talk all over Burbank (and beyond) tomorrow. Shots like that tend to stick and last.

I'm sure Bob, who I believe is part of Obama's delegation in India right now (he was supposed to be going), loved seeing his weatherman roots out there again as well as the comparisons to Walt and Michael. You could also add the Card Walker/Ron Miller days too.

More thoughts to come ... hopefully.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The Huffington Post has published an article on our favorite multinational media conglomerate earlier today. It's primary concern is if Disney is Marvel and Pixar and Lucasfilm and ESPN is Disney still special or relevant? This could be called an assault on Iger The Acquierer's legacy at TWDC. The author makes a shout out to our beloved @wdwmagic too.

Yes, interesting that both this site and Micechat got props. I'm sure that's not because these sites actually attract a considerable audience of everyone from analysts to journalists, from creatives to execs, and not simply fanbois wanting to discuss why moving Small World to EPCOT would totally fix WDW!

The point as to "What is Disney?' today is a very interesting one (as I've stated before). A collection of BRANDS and franchises and IPs? Excuse me, but I thought that was a criticism of UNI?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Seriously after reading that I hope they do look outside the company and get someone really good. Anyone have any ideas?

Don't you know, the ONLY two men (forget the ladies!) in the world that could run TWDC are Rasulo and Staggs!

BTW, there are folks ignorant enough to believe that. There are far more folks out there that could run Disney than the two dolts who have been pitted in a duel to the death by The Weatherman to replace him. Disney is like a cult. Outsiders need not apply. Except ... the last (and only) time Disney went outside resulted in both the most growth (much of it organic, Eisner didn't buy things to grow the business ... everything from DCL to Disney Sports to the Disney Stores to Disney Theatrical came about from the inside. The biggest thing Eisner bought was also the smartest: ABC/Cap Cities) as well as a creative renaissance. He didn't simply go and buy other businesses and turn their IPs into vinyl 'collectables' ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Is it just me, or should the CEO of the Walt Disney Company have better posture and be wearing a suit and tie for public interviews? I'm sorry maybe I'm old fashioned, but when you're the face of a multi-billion dollar company, you should sit up straight and you should look more presentable than jeans and no tie.

Heck even Eisner in @Mike S 's meme above is wearing a suit and tie...

Paging @TP2000 to the thread ... (but, yes, you are quite right!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Let's try not to get stuck in the weeds here. One of the key points of the article is that a good leader UNDERSTANDS his company. Does the weatherman make unaccompanied midnight runs on construction sites and talk to his employees, regardless of paygrade? Did Walt and Roy need to spend millions of dollars on customer analytics to understand the things they -the customer- never knew they wanted? Bob Iger feels that's somebody else's job, not his own. Bob Iger has little true ownership over the current and future success at the various branches of TWDC. Should Disney have someone like that running the show? Do you want Disney to BE Disney or General Motors, because that's what this company looks like nowadays.

That's just a great comparison. ... I just wonder why people view Iger so positively, even Wall Street types. What chances has he taken? What bold risks?

Buying Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm were decisions that required very little thought or deliberation (one could argue with all the messy contract deals, that Marvel should have required more).

What showed vision? What showed ingenuity? Where have the bold moves been?

Spending two billion plus on NGE? Billions in stock buybacks? Bringing Rosie back to The View?

Where are the great moves that a fanboi living in Mom's basement in New Jersey couldn't have thought of?

PhotoDave219

Don't you know, the ONLY two men (forget the ladies!) in the world that could run TWDC are Rasulo and Staggs!

BTW, there are folks ignorant enough to believe that. There are far more folks out there that could run Disney than the two dolts who have been pitted in a duel to the death by The Weatherman to replace him. Disney is like a cult. Outsiders need not apply. Except ... the last (and only) time Disney went outside resulted in both the most growth (much of it organic, Eisner didn't buy things to grow the business ... everything from DCL to Disney Sports to the Disney Stores to Disney Theatrical came about from the inside. The biggest thing Eisner bought was also the smartest: ABC/Cap Cities) as well as a creative renaissance. He didn't simply go and buy other businesses and turn their IPs into vinyl 'collectables' ...

Thats the problem in their thinking: They refuse to bring outsiders in and reject their ideas.

The corporate culture is essentially (stealing from the lego movie) "Everything is Awesome".... when their results couldnt be farther from the truth. Look at the stagnantion thats occurred over the past 10-15 years. They continue to reinforce that numbers driven, CYA culture with people whom have never worked anywhere else.

TP2000

Paging @TP2000 to the thread ... (but, yes, you are quite right!)

You rang?

I had just stumbled a few minutes ago, by pure accident, onto that wonderful HuffPo article everyone is already talking about here. Wow.

And the surprise mid-article explanation of Al Lutz and his online work to save Disneyland 15 years ago was utterly fascinating. I take it Al Lutz isn't entirely retired, as he obviously contributed to the HuffPo article as a "contributor". Then a second shout-out to this website where I spend too much time was icing on the cake. What a surprisingly fun yet scary read!

HuffPo's descriptions of Jay Rasulo and Tom Staggs were so good, and so accurate, that I had to put down the glass of Scotch cause I was laughing so hard. I'm sure executive egos are bruised in West LA tonight, the poor dears.

As for Iger's recent sloppy dress. Yeah, it's not good, especially on an older man like Bob. As much as I love my iStuff in my life, I blame Steve Jobs for that sloppy corporate dress code. Jobs is the one who convinced every late middle aged white guy executive that they could appear on TV and launch major stuff wearing Dad Jeans and a cashmere top. Gross.

Linking the absolutely fascinating Huffington Post article about Bob Iger here, in case later folks missed it. Run, don't walk, to go read this. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gary-snyder/disney-ceo-iger-readies-m_b_6520290.html

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
You rang?

I had just stumbled a few minutes ago, by pure accident, onto that wonderful HuffPo article everyone is already talking about here. Wow. And the interesting mid-article explanation of Al Lutz and his online work to save Disneyland 15 years ago was utterly fascinating. I take it Al Lutz isn't entirely retired, as he obviously contributed to the HuffPo article as a "contributor".

As for Iger's recent sloppy dress. Yeah, it's not good, especially on an older man like Bob. As much as I love my iStuff in my life, I blame Steve Jobs for that sloppy corporate dress code. Jobs is the one who convinced every late middle aged white guy executive that they could appear on TV and launch major stuff wearing Dad Jeans and a cashmere top. Gross.

Yeah, I just stumbled on it on accident too. Currently, about 25 minutes ago the "Spirit" is being ripped on twitter as possibly being the author and linked the article.

tissandtully

Yeah, I just stumbled on it on accident too. Currently, about 25 minutes ago the "Spirit" is being ripped on twitter as possibly being the author and linked the article.

Spirit is a Redstone? Figure he wouldn't have to worry about all the CM discounts. Haha. Also, I guess full disclosure, Willow Bay (Iger's wife) is a founding member of Huffington Post, not really involved much anymore but still on the masthead.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

The difference between Iger and Jobs is Iger looked totally sloppy. Jobs owned his trademark wear unlike Iger just showing up looking like a slob for no reason. It isn't any part of his mantra or identity. He is waffling and grasping and it isn't working.

yensidtlaw1969

That's just a great comparison. ... I just wonder why people view Iger so positively, even Wall Street types. What chances has he taken? What bold risks?

Buying Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm were decisions that required very little thought or deliberation (one could argue with all the messy contract deals, that Marvel should have required more).

What showed vision? What showed ingenuity? Where have the bold moves been?

Spending two billion plus on NGE? Billions in stock buybacks? Bringing Rosie back to The View?

Where are the great moves that a fanboi living in Mom's basement in New Jersey couldn't have thought of?

Perhaps that's it -- a man who 'found a way' to make obvious decisions that presented virtually no risk creatively or financially and still made millions and billions for his company and its shareholders is exactly the kind of person I'd expect Wall Streeters to look up to.

John

Don't know if he wrote it but I would bet he has a copy of this article proudly displayed on the wall of his office.

There is a scary similarity of the article to Mr Spirit, more ways then one could even imagine;)

A more accurate article has never been written to date. Tonight a dark cloud has fallen on the halls of Burbank, stuff like this doesn't go unnoticed. There are probably a Tigger or two around here not to happy with the article as well. Even though Mr. Spirit has said many times that he has no interest in becoming the Al Lutz of WDW I think that him and a couple of other posters not named PO4.....ok yes named PO4 has had maybe not the same cause and effect but certainly the same conversations.....if there really is some CEO's here maybe they could pool together and pay the two?

What I will say is this article illustrates that this site is read by more people then just the few of us that post here. Steve must be a happy guy today....being "name dropped" in a article like this has to be good for business.
I suspect there will be a lot of IP addresses emanating from a California zip code here in the near future.

BrerJon

The corporate culture is essentially (stealing from the lego movie) "Everything is Awesome".... when their results couldnt be farther from the truth.

I've never thought of the Lego Movie/WDW parallels before. A world where everyone in it thinks it's awesome when it could be so much better, controlled by an unimaginative Lord Business, while the Master Builders, capable of coming up with amazing innovative ideas if given the freedom, are restricted and held back and forced to build boring things that could be found anywhere.

Mike S

I've never thought of the Lego Movie/WDW parallels before. A world where everyone in it thinks it's awesome when it could be so much better, controlled by an unimaginative Lord Business, while the Master Builders, capable of coming up with amazing innovative ideas if given the freedom, are restricted and held back and forced to build boring things that could be found anywhere.
Quick, someone photoshop Iger's face on to Lord Business!!! :hilarious:

BrerJon

A more accurate article has never been written to date. Tonight a dark cloud has fallen on the halls of Burbank, stuff like this doesn't go unnoticed.

I wish it was NYT or Wall Street Journal or something money men take note of a bit more than HuffPo, but it's a good start, and nice that it's written by someone on 'their' side of the fence instead of just being another self-commissioned puff piece from Jim Hill.

Hopefully as more and more people come to understand what it is many of us want to see changed things will start to snowball, as they did in the early 80s, as they did during SaveDisney.

Maybe this could this be the start of the Disney Spring (not to be confused with the mall!).

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
An article that pointed will make its rounds. It might spur discussion even with those on the street. The real analysts of DIS will read everything as Bloomberg terminals will have that article. That being said it wouldn't surprise me to see the WSJ and NYT offer their take on the Disney CEO position.

Just remember HuffPo might not be the times or journal but it sure isn't some shrug it off blog.

asianway

I think I'm like 22 pages behind, maybe more, so please excuse me, but I'm jumping ahead because it's either that or not taking part at all right now.

I see the topic du jour is the Huff Po business column from today. I have a lot of thoughts about it. It reads a lot like a NYT piece and I say that with admiration.

The one thing that absolutely had me on the floor (much like Menken's music in Galavant) was the writer's descriptions of Jay Rasulo as ''an often puckish glad hander'' and Tom Staggs as an ''oddly waifish man of anemic personality'' ... I gotta admit that I've never heard them described that way before yet it rings so accurate. And you know **** well, it will be water cooler talk all over Burbank (and beyond) tomorrow. Shots like that tend to stick and last.

I'm sure Bob, who I believe is part of Obama's delegation in India right now (he was supposed to be going), loved seeing his weatherman roots out there again as well as the comparisons to Walt and Michael. You could also add the Card Walker/Ron Miller days too.

More thoughts to come ... hopefully.
After reading the article I changed my mind on my shareholder question:

Bob, I have a 7am tee time in Burbank tomorrow. Can you let me know what the weather is going to be? #shinebox

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom