Oscar-Calibur film discussion

Matt7187

I can't wrap my head around the appeal of this film. Credit to anyone that likes and loves it, but outside of Carell (who was great but not nearly on the same level as Keaton/Redmayne/Cumberbatch, and even Oyelowo), everything about the film felt....off. The writing was solid, the acting was impressive, the director clearly had a good command of the material, yet there was something completely disconnected about the film. I much prefer Bennett Miller's work on Moneyball over this.
For me, the thing is just how chilling the movie is. With the lack of background music to Carrel's chilling performance, even as someone who was familiar with the source material, I still jumped at the climatic ending

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
So I thought, for the hell of it, I'd compile my soon-to-be complete list of the top films from 2014, as judged by me. Keep in mind that the top 10 films are pretty set in stone, though some of the order may be off considering I've only seen some of these once. 6-10 are incredibly close.

Best Films of 2014
1. Interstellar
Christopher Nolan's most visually ambitious and emotionally gripping film to date. A wonderful mesh of 2001: A Space Odyssey and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The best pure theatre experience I've ever had in my life (IMAX 70mm).

2. The Lego Movie
The most kinetic film of the year is also one of the most ambitious animated films in the past 10 years, even more shocking considering its mostly corporate origins. A wonderful message for adults. Robbed of a Best Animated Film nomination.

3. The Grand Budapest Hotel
Wes Anderson's best film to date. Quickly paced, hysterical, and a great lead turn by Ralph Fiennes. One of the most rewatchable films of the year.

4. Guardians of the Galaxy
Marvel's best film, easily. Outstanding characters to root for with a great sense of humor. In the hands of anyone beyond James Gunn, this film likely is nowhere close to my top 10.

5. Gone Girl
David Fincher's best film since The Social Network. Fantastic pacing, a wonderful lead actress performance, and a generally unpredictable plot (for people like me who never read the book). Robbed of a Best Adapted Screenplay nomination.

6. Nightcrawler
A super intense crime thriller with a career-defining performance by Jake Gyllenhaal. Robbed of a Best Picture and Best Actor nomination.

7. Birdman
The best performance of Michael Keaton's career, plus the ingenious one-shot editing, make this an immensely rewatchable and darkly hilarious film. Robbed of a Best Editing nomination.

8. 22 Jump Street
The best comedy sequel ever made. Further proof that anything Phil Lord and Christopher Miller touch will turn into gold, as well as the fact that Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill are two of the best on-screen duos in film today.

9. Whiplash
Powerhouse performances by Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons produces an incredibly intense, highly satisfying drama. Simmons's performance has award winner written all over it.

10. The Imitation Game
The breakout dramatic performance (on film, everyone knows he's amazing on Sherlock) for Benedict Cumberbatch. Enthralling story.

Honorable Mentions
11. Boyhood
Incredibly ambitious and beautifully editing. Wonderful, heartfelt performances and a touching story about life's imperfections in a "broken" home being the cause of many of life's greatest triumphs and heartbreaks. Unfortunately doesn't hold up wonderfully on a rewatch, but there's no doubt this is a great triumph in filmmaking and dedication.

12. Chef

A very entertaining, very light film with excellent chemistry between the two leads. Great human story with a feel-good ending that feels rightfully earned instead of being the product of shameless emotional manipulation.

13. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

The best CGI I've ever seen in a film. A perfect blend of amazing technology complementing the intriguing human and emotional elements, not shadowing them. The best film in the Planet of the Apes series.

14. Selma
The first good, if not great, MLK film. It suffers a bit for blatantly, and very falsely, revising the history of LBJ and tarnishing his efforts, but the direction and acting is outstanding. Robbed of a Best Director and Best Actor nomination.

15. The Theory of Everything
A standard biopic that hits every predictable story element greatly enhanced by a career-defining performance by Eddie Redmayne. A bit overpraised as a film, but that lead performance is good enough to overcome most shortcomings and propel it to my Honorable Mentions list.

Just Missed the Cut
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
While the focus on all-out action in its climactic finale is a bit overkill, this sequel surpasses the original in most ways.

Edge of Tomorrow

Great first 2/3 of the film, standard action movie in the finale. Shame, because if the finale was landed a bit more creatively, this would be in my top 10.

Into the Woods
Clearly neutered from the original stage production. The changes to appeal to a more PG-friendly Disney crowd is ultimately what holds this film back. Shame, because the music is great, the performances are fun (though Streep doesn't deserve her nominations; if anything, Chris Pine steals the film), but there is a more risque version of this film out there that would have been superior to the final product.

Most Overrated Films of the Year
American Sniper
Not a bad film in the slightest, but I can't put a film with the worst fake baby scenes in the history of cinema in my top films of the year. Glosses over Chris Kyle's PTSD a bit too much (you can tell his family had a hand in the story and execution), but the gripping war scenes make the domestic scenes a drag.

Foxcatcher
The oddest film of the year. It's well acted, well directed, and well written, but the parts separately are greater than the final product. The pacing and emotional connection the audience needs to have in a film like this is severely lacking.

Unbroken
Standard, ambitionless biopic that got more mileage out of its director (Angelina Jolie) than what the film truthfully deserved. Predictable life story, but without the incredible lead performance to elevate it.

X-Men: Days of Future Past
Fun film with entertaining performances and a creative plot. Unfortunately, other than one scene during Magneto's breakout, there's nothing particularly special or memorable that would put it above X2 and X-Men: First Class.

Biggest Disappointments
Jersey Boys
One of my favorite Broadway musicals, known for its use of the Four Seasons songs telling the story instead of presenting them in real time and quick pacing, turned into a very slow, biopic drama that refuses to be a musical. Eastwood ruined what could have been a great adaptation.

The Giver
My favorite book as a kid and the original young adult, post-myopic societal allegory. Unfortunately, this film was dumbed down and the love aspects were played up to appeal to the Hunger Games/Twilight/Divergent crowd.

Godzilla
Definitely league's better than Sony's embarrassing attempt to bring the franchise over to the USA in 1998. However, with the exception of Bryan Cranston, every human character lacks any sort of depth and merely serves as a plot device. Great, great Godzilla battles, though.

Films Still Needing to See
Under the Skin
Inherent Vice
St. Vincent

Last edited:

Matt_Black

Regarding the Jump Street franchise, hopefully everyone who made the first two movies good will stay on board when the corporately mandated Men In Black crossover happens.

Matt7187

Regarding the Jump Street franchise, hopefully everyone who made the first two movies good will stay on board when the corporately mandated Men In Black crossover happens.
I probably won't see it if the MIB crossover actually happens. I don't think anyone could salvage that. It totally contradicts the whole series; they are undercover cops, not alien hunters. :banghead:

Tony Perkis

Original Poster

Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are the only few who can make good out of this horrible concept. That said, I'd still avoid. MIB is a fairly tame PG-13. Jump Street is a hard R. MIB has a better history of international box office success, so taming the JS series down to PG-13 could effectively kill it.

FoozieBear

Added "Godzilla" to my most disappointing films of the year.

Couldn't agree more. I really loved the build-up in the first fifty minutes, but once the monster is revealed, the train completely derailed and I couldn't wait for it to be over. They built it up great, but there was literally no story during the second and third act of the movie.

Matt_Black

Couldn't agree more. I really loved the build-up in the first fifty minutes, but once the monster is revealed, the train completely derailed and I couldn't wait for it to be over. They built it up great, but there was literally no story during the second and third act of the movie.

And he wasn't friend to children in this either! There was also a tragic lack of Rex Dart, Eskimo Spy!

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
Three notes:

1) I saw A Most Violent Year on Friday. Very good film. Outside of my top 15 of the year, but an interesting character study that is generally unpredictable. Great acting. Oscar Isaac is going to be a star soon, after Star Wars and the next X-Men.

2) Another screw you to the Oscars: The Lego Movie won best animated film at the Producers Guild of America awards last night.

3) Life Itself, the documentary based on Roger Ebert's memoirs, was on CNN tonight. Very moving stuff. One of the more personal documentaries I've seen in a while. Curious why Richard Roeper wasn't even mentioned. Either way, glad I was able to watch this one.

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
The build-up was entertaining, because of a certain Walter White being integral to the plot.

The film wanted to have the Jurassic Park build up to make the big reveal that much more entertaining, but when many of Godzilla's big moments were spoiled in the trailers, the impact of the build up is completely lost.

Again, great fights, but not much else going on for it. The sequel needs to have well-written characters to make us actually care about the destruction and despair happening around them by the giant monsters. Otherwise, it's Transformers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom