The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I get that. I don't eat a lot of carbs but I do have some daily, we have a pancreas thing in my family and there is nothing worse for that than to mess with that organs job. I eat lots of veggies, love them and meat but as I age I can't eat that much meat either at one sitting. I did at Thanksgiving and had a glorious time but payed for that later. lol. What do you get for $150 a week?

I remember Dr. Bernstein from when my kids were small.
61cZJfAlhQL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
For $150/week, you get:
- Three weekly visits which include being weighed, seeing the nurse, reviewing your diet sheet, and a B6/B12 injection.
- Your urine is tested 2-3 times per week, depending on your level of ketosis.
- Blood is taken once/month, as are measurements and vitals.
- You visit with the clinic doctor once every 2-3 weeks.

You eat regular food (just not very much of it), as well as take a B-Complex multivitamin and potassium every day.
It was originally designed as a diabetic diet.

It's only brutal for the first 3-4 days; once the headache and hunger go away, then it's just boring.
Plan includes: 2 proteins, 2 servings of veggies, 2 fruit (which I seldom eat) and 2 bread/bread substitutes.

No starch, no starchy vegetables, no dairy, no fat, no alcohol. No fun.
But it works. And like I said, no hunger.

MOXOMUMD

Wow! Your daughter must be excited about the two fancy dinner evenings on the ship. It's so nice to have this trip to look forward to. Both she and you will have wonderful memories of the time you'll spend together on the cruise. We all only go around once in this life, and it's important to have special, treasured moments in time.:happy:
Amen on that. I told her some people never leave Ohio so she's lucky to be able to visit four different countries. :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
One of the times I broke my wrist, I signed my name with my right hand. The lady at the front desk thought it was brilliant :rolleyes:. Which I admit it was better handwriting than with my left hand but it took me forever.

For the life of me, I can not open a can left handed.

Even with a left handed can opener?

I am right handed and I was a left handed/left foot gymnast . Go figure.

My sister was going to be left handed and my Mom believed being left handed was a disability kept taking forks, toys, crayons, you name it out of her left hand (abruptly) and putting it in my sisters right hand until she conformed. Likely why she can use both. It is rather creepity when she was in a hurry and she'd be multitasking using both hands at once to do different things.

My DD was left handed until about 5 years old when she traded for her right, she was creepity too. She wrote everything in Mirror image. I saved her preschool stuff and everything she wrote you could hold up to a mirror and read. Still she was self taught to read and was reading basic chapter books like 2nd 3rd grade level at age 4. She was a spooky kid.

Gabe1

For $150/week, you get:
- Three weekly visits which include being weighed, seeing the nurse, reviewing your diet sheet, and a B6/B12 injection.
- Your urine is tested 2-3 times per week, depending on your level of ketosis.
- Blood is taken once/month, as are measurements and vitals.
- You visit with the clinic doctor once every 2-3 weeks.

You eat regular food (just not very much of it), as well as take a B-Complex multivitamin and potassium every day.
It was originally designed as a diabetic diet.

It's only brutal for the first 3-4 days; once the headache and hunger go away, then it's just boring.
Plan includes: 2 proteins, 2 servings of veggies, 2 fruit (which I seldom eat) and 2 bread/bread substitutes.

No starch, no starchy vegetables, no dairy, no fat, no alcohol. No fun.
But it works. And like I said, no hunger.

And when people go off this diet does the weight stay off?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
And when people go off this diet does the weight stay off?
There's an 8-week Maintenance phase, where regular food like pasta, bread, cereal, pork, milk etc. is reintroduced.
I think they claim 75% of patients are within 10 lbs of goal-weight at the one year mark - IF they completed the Maintenance phase. Those are unheard of stats.
Because of their success rate, part or all of the plan may be covered by some health insurance plans. Not mine, of course, but some.

Gabe1

There's an 8-week Maintenance phase, where regular food like pasta, bread, cereal, pork, milk etc. is reintroduced.
I think they claim 75% of patients are within 10 lbs of goal-weight at the one year mark - IF they completed the Maintenance phase. Those are unheard of stats.
Because of their success rate, part or all of the plan may be covered by some health insurance plans. Not mine, of course, but some.

If it stays off for them yay! Money and time well spent. 10 pounds is acceptable. What is the exercise component? Do they work with trainers or what?

Cesar R M

Thank you, thank you very much. :inlove: My DD is a several inches taller than me and my DS was happy with his growing streak at 16 years old 11 inches in a year and almost caught up to his Dad at 6 foot. He was among the shortest boys when graduating in middle school.

My Gran well she was 4'9" know who I take after.
yikes, remind me.. the older you get.. the more "compressed" by earth gravity you get :eek:

Cesar R M

These are from the German specialty store where we get our Christmas ham.
Sadly, I know that they taste even better than they look and smell.
None for Fatty McFatterson.

View attachment 80313
HAH, reminds me of how some people hate the delicious "Bacalao a la Vizcaina".
It smells bad and doesn't looks very appetizing.. but ITS DELICIOUS!
I always pest my mother to make it. Its a forced dish for christmas :>

Cesar R M

I am on a zero starch diet. For $150/week, I'm not going to stray from plan.
Also, no ground meat is allowed either.

I could, however, eat the cabbage and some sauce.

And yes, I know I can lose weight without joining a clinic, but the beauty of Dr. Bernstein is that it's quick and effective - 15-20 lbs/month. Results ARE typical.

I've got approx. 7-8 weeks before going back to work. Being down 25+ lbs would mean not having to buy a whole new work wardrobe.
Are you lowering weight due of medical reasons?

Gabe1

I'm kind of ambidextrous in that I can't write worth a damm with either hand. I do, however, excel in that particular lack of skill.

My DH nor my son can write in cursive. My DH was hit by a car when taught in school and was hospitalized for a long long time. They told him the next year it was OK just print.

My DS had a rebel teacher that believed they didn't print well enough to learn cursive so while the other classrooms learned they did not unknown to parents or other staff. (she wasn't asked to return the next year) 33% of his grade never learned cursive. The teachers next year sent home work sheet for us to teach what the school didn't.
Sooooo many reasons I ran to be a school board member.

OSUgirl77

Seeing her being left handed was the second thing I saw.

Being a left hander myself, I notice others. It's like a club. You meet others and you care about them. Even rarer are ambidextrous folks.
I'm sort of ambidextrous. I write and eat with my left hand, but play all sports right-handed. I also cut with normal scissors, I can't use the left-handed ones. I can write and eat with my right hand if I need to, it just doesn't come as easily.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
If it stays off for them yay! Money and time well spent. 10 pounds is acceptable. What is the exercise component? Do they work with trainers or what?
No strenuous exercise is recommended, beyond walking, yoga, etc.
At its absolute peak, it's 800 calories/day. Very few people eat that much.
It is a ketogenic diet, meaning that fat is burned, rather than muscle - that is why urine is tested 2-3x/week. If you are not burning at least a +2, minor adjustments are made - usually the reduction/elimination of fruits.

When my dad got sick, I blew up like a balloon, gaining 40 lbs. I went on this diet then, and lost 55 lbs. I kept it off for almost 4 years, until I had my hysterectomy. Since then I have been yo-yo'ing like crazy; which of course is worse than just carrying around those extra 30 lbs.

I have a large boned frame, very broad shoulders, narrow waist, curvy hips.
My ideal weight is 140.

A couple of years ago, I weighed just less than 125.
When I joined the clinic last week, I weighed an astounding 188. Nobody believes me, as I carry it well.
My brother accused me of lying. Seriously, what woman claims to weigh almost 190 lbs, if it were not true.

And now that I have confessed my shocking weight, y'all are going to be subject to weekly updates.

130 lbs:
image.jpg
180 lbs:
image.jpg

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
My DH nor my son can write in cursive. My DH was hit by a car when taught in school and was hospitalized for a long long time. They told him the next year it was OK just print.

My DS had a rebel teacher that believed they didn't print well enough to learn cursive so while the other classrooms learned they did not unknown to parents or other staff. (she wasn't asked to return the next year) 33% of his grade never learned cursive. The teachers next year sent home work sheet for us to teach what the school didn't.
Sooooo many reasons I ran to be a school board member.
Neither of my kids can write cursive, despite hours of practice at home.
Our school had a new principal come in when they were in grades 2 and 3, and he was the Board "techie". Our school, despite being one of the smallest, poorer schools, became the most technologically advanced overnight.

When I went in to complain that both teachers had abandoned teaching cursive (yes, I spoke to the teachers first - they sent me to see him), he said that in the future all that would matter would be key-boarding skills.

I persisted in trying to teach them at home, to no avail. After two years, I said to heck with it.

Son #1 has sort of developed a cursive signature. Son #2's signature is completely printed.
But hey, they can type really well. :banghead: :banghead:

Last edited:

Gabe1

No strenuous exercise is recommended, beyond walking, yoga, etc.
At its absolute peak, it's 800 calories/day. Very few people eat that much.
It is a ketogenic diet, meaning that fat is burned, rather than muscle - that is why urine is tested 2-3x/week. If you are not burning at least a +2, minor adjustments are made - usually the reduction/elimination of fruits.

When my dad got sick, I blew up like a balloon, gaining 40 lbs. I went on this diet then, and lost 55 lbs. I kept it off for almost 4 years, until I had my hysterectomy. Since then I have been yo-yo'ing like crazy; which of course is worse than just carrying around those extra 30 lbs.

I have a large boned frame, very broad shoulders, narrow waist, curvy hips.
My ideal weight is 140.

A couple of years ago, I weighed just less than 125.
When I joined the clinic last week, I weighed an astounding 188. Nobody believes me, as I carry it well.
My brother accused me of lying. Seriously, what woman claims to weigh almost 190 lbs, if it were not true.

And now that I have confessed my shocking weight, y'all are going to be subject to weekly updates.

130 lbs:
View attachment 80345
180 lbs:
View attachment 80344

Yep. A few years around our age makes all the difference though. The metabolism starts to slow and the weight starts to pack on.

I'm in a different camp of weight control, I eat meals but smaller portions and I think part of the key is exercise to boost the metabolism.

No matter what route we all go it is sucidoodles.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Yep. A few years around our age makes all the difference though. The metabolism starts to slow and the weight starts to pack on.

I'm in a different camp of weight control, I eat meals but smaller portions and I think part of the key is exercise to boost the metabolism.

No matter what route we all go it is sucidoodles.
My mom, on the other hand, lost 30 lbs when she went through menopause, and continued to lose another 2 or 3 every year. All of her adult life, she hovered between 130-140 (an inch and a half shorter than me, though).
By her 60's, her weight was in the mid-high 90's, and she primarily did her shopping in the girls' section.
When she was living with me, after my dad died, she weighed 92-95.

Her sister, Missionary Auntie, also lost about 20 lbs during menopause.

Maybe, I'll get lucky a couple of years from now. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom