Route for WDW, Sanford, and Anna Maria Island

OnTheGo

Original Poster
On our spring trip, we will be doing Disney 4 nights, Anna Maria Island 4 nights, and a conference for 2 nights in the middle. We are flying in and out of Sanford and renting a car. Our incoming flight arrives at 3:10 PM on a Friday and our outgoing flight departs at 7:00 AM on a Monday. I'm trying to plan the most efficient itinerary and routes to maximize our time and avoid rush hour pain. We really aren't familiar with the routes there and there's not much traffic where we drive on a daily basis.

Ideally, I'd like the order of the trip to be Disney, conference, beach because I think that would be the most relaxing. However, I know that AMI is a 2.5 hour drive from SFB, meaning we'd have to leave our beach resort at 2:30 AM to make our departing flight. :(. Yet, if we do the beach first, will be in rush hour the whole way upon leaving Sanford airport around 4 PM? Because we already have to pack and move 3 times during the trip. I don't want to spend the night before the early flight at a Sanford hotel.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any input from those who know the area regarding routes, best itinerary, etc. We've made many trips to Disney before, but this is the first time renting a car--I'm excited to have it for flexibility and for our toddler.

lazyboy97o

A hotel in Sanford for the last night is probably your best option, even if it is not desirable. Without traffic it is still about an hour between Walt Disney World and Sanford. While you may be traveling before rush hour begins on you day of departure, the I-4 Ultimate construction project will be underway for about twenty miles heading north from Universal Orlando Resort and who knows what sort of delays that will cause.

OnTheGo

Original Poster
Bummer. I think we may be trying to fit too much travel into this trip with a toddler. Maybe I'll take a look at beaches closer to orlando and/or north, like St Augustine. It doesn't solve the early morning drive to SFB completely, but would cut down on some of the back and forth travel time during the trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom