Do you think it is time to update our nighttime spectacular parade? Possibly Paint The Night Parade?

Walter Elias Disney

Original Poster
SpectroMagic was definitely groundbreaking. It is time to offer our guests with the very best. Yes, Goofyernmost this post is applicable. Our parks deserve the best nighttime parade too.

Sage of Time

Disneyland is getting Paint the Night, this summer, for their 60th.

I'd rather Disneyland get something new while we keep the more classic version of the MSEP.

Matt_Black

I vote something new. Maybe call it Nocturnalia, a portmanteau of "nocturnal" and "bacchanalia", because Disney loves portmanteaus.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Oh my god, yes.
As for MSEP...
5d058bfff1b0b3a378c8288ae74449e15793c742e9f2923dba1f5397a57961c0.jpg

Walter Elias Disney

Original Poster
I agree James122. It wasn't my intention to say we needed the same parade as Disneyland. I feel the current MSEP is definitely showing wear and tear. Watched it again the other night and felt we can do much better.

MerlinTheGoat

MK's MSEP is a mess in its current condition, it definitely shouldn't continue to be run in such a state without either a massive upgrade or replacement in the plans for the very near future. That being said however, I don't care for Paint the Night much. It's short, some of the float designs aren't great and the music is obnoxious (not even memorable or endearingly annoying like MSEP's music). I also think the LED tech went a bit to waste here. I was excited about it given that the Asian parks usually do a fantastic job, but it ended up being a disappointment. The one thing I think it nails are the costumes. Otherwise however I found it to be a very meh night parade and a waste of LED technology. While Magic Kingdom's parade is unquestionably in bad shape and in need of either a massive upgrade or replacement, I actually do still enjoy it more than Paint the Night. Don't get me wrong, i'm definitely NOT proposing we keep MSEP as-is and ignore its ever increasing problems. But I am saying that I would not be satisfied with a Paint the Night clone as a suitable replacement.

A FAR better implementation of the new lighting is Dreamlights at Tokyo Disneyland. Besides the inherently better float design, many older and newer floats have been updated to new programmable LED lighting tech. Particular examples being the floats based off Aladdin and Alice in Wonderland. Incidentally, Dreamlights is also the perfect example of how to upgrade a classic attraction without it getting stale and outdated. I'm not much of a fan of the MSEP soundtrack, but Dreamlights even makes improvements there (though my heart will ALWAYS be with Spectromagic's gorgeous score). Dreamlights appeases nostalgia and people who want something fresh. I'd be in absolute favor of a Spectromagic rebuild (mixture of old and new floats and the original soundtrack) with the Dreamlights LED tech involved. Fantillusion as well.

I'm not proposing cloning it (because i'd rather the parks be unique and different from one another as they used to be), but Dreamlights IMHO is basically the model of EXECUTION for what all other night parades should strive to be. The other unique parades should take note and follow how it has continually improved and upgraded itself over the years.

Last edited:

SnarkyMonkey

I think Paint the Night looks kind of cool. But I haven't met a Disney nighttime parade that I haven't liked.

I always enjoy new things so for that reason, I'm all for a change.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I'd like to see MSEP 200 more times before I expire. I don't care how much future termite, bat, fire, or electrical damage occurs. Never replace it I say!

Reverse psychology is clearly the way to go, because being all straightforward doesn't seem to have much impact

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Paint the night might be up to date but I think the older parades fit the setting of Main Street and frontier land allot better. Something modern like Paint the Night just doesn't fit in with parts of the park that are based on the late 1800's and early 1900's. If there is anything Disney World does right it is making the parades fit the theme of the surroundings. In that case I think whatever they make next is going to be totally different and probably live up to Spectromagic standards, maybe even the same music. I would really like to see Both coasts get Dreamlights, that parade is a combination of Spectromagic and the Electrical Parade

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom