Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Fantasmicguy

I'd also like to point out that on DisneyStore.com that the merchandise they are selling from the park is showing more and more of Earffile Tower being the icon for the park..Also Notice that Epcot is being called Epcot Center......Hmmm?
7505055880545-1
It says EPCOT Center because the shirt is using the parks classic designs. They can't do that for Hollywood Studios because it was MGM when it first opened.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

I love how even from outside the park the Earful Tower is still photobombing the hat - only this time it's the topiary one.

I don't understand all these people who say the tower isn't very visible. Almost every shot I see of the Studios has it in!
I'd say it's all about the tower's placement towards the back and the park's consistent use of soundstages in its architectural design blocking the pedestrian views of the structure. Sorcerer's Hat going up just made things worse.

Seabasealpha1

For that matter, does anyone else wonder if they might move the water tower? maybe a little closer...does it have a purpose now that the back end of the park and the studio tour have catastrophe canyon closed out? Will the new stuff they're building require them to move it?

BrerJon

For that matter, does anyone else wonder if they might move the water tower? maybe a little closer...does it have a purpose now that the back end of the park and the studio tour have catastrophe canyon closed out? Will the new stuff they're building require them to move it?

I'd be very nervous about any talk of moving the tower, seeing as how 'moving' the hat has worked out for that!

Goofyernmost

I think that before any of us can make that determination we have to see what they do with the "new" DHS. It might very well be very accessible by the time they are done. It's only good for photo ops anyway so moving it to the crowds will not have any positive result. Besides numerous photos have shown that Earful is as visible from the entrance and the park, in general, as the Tree of Life is. Plus it is very visible from World Drive. It's OK where it stands. Not to mention, can you imagine how much it would cost to move that thing. I'm pretty sure that if you go back there 100 years from now, it will be right where it is standing right at this moment.

Phil12

True, but Disney Design Group knows what's happening long before announcements are officially made. They were told to stop putting the wand on SSE ahead of time; they were told to use the water tower instead of the hat for 2014 merchandise; they've been told—

Oops, can't go there yet.
I knew it! They are putting another huge icon in front of the Chinese theater to replace the BAH.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
No need for pictures today, last night was Saturday they would not be working. I know a lot of people are in a hurry for it to be gone, but, you all are going to get ulcers carrying all that anxiety around until this project is done. I'd say, at best, there will be at least another 5 weeks before the walls come down, if not longer. As much as we would like to see it gone, there is no emergency to remove it and they are not about to pay overtime to demolish this critter.

Thinking we would be paying far less attention to the removal of the hat if Disney was Wow'ing us with some construction builds. This is far more exciting than the New Hub ongoing construction that will end in nothing new to experience. Even the Tangled Potties were more exciting of a build than the Hub mess.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
This is last years vinylmation which included the water tower as the icon instead of the hat. Was that because the hat was already on it? Also if they were to change the icon back to the water tower... They should make the park look like a working studio. All attractions should be housed in soundstages and wait time screens could be say "film running time" or something like that. And fast pass could be the "VIP Lounge" or something. If they weren't to do all that it would make sense to keep calling it Hollywood studios. It would be better to call it Hollywoodland and change the icon to Gramans theatre.
View attachment 80278

I am missing your correlation of a water tower to the necessity of a working studio for the water tower to be an icon. There are iconic watertowers throughout the world that have no correlation to a working studio.

The WineGlass watertower is one of my favorites.

ATDW_Portrait__BH19_Wineglass_large.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom