Measles Outbreak

BuzzKillington

From what I have read, DL is sending their non-vaccinated CMs home WITH PAID LEAVE so they don't get the measles. These CMs should be terminated on the spot and never been hired in the first place.

alissafalco

From what I have read, DL is sending their non-vaccinated CMs home WITH PAID LEAVE so they don't get the measles. These CMs should be terminated on the spot and never been hired in the first place.
Since Disney hired them unvaccinated, Disney should not fire them on the spot. They should however change their policy and only employ people who are up to date with their vaccines. They should give these CMs the chance to get vaccinated if they want to come back to work. You are not allowed to attend the public schools in NY if you aren't vaccinated. Work should be no different.

lazyboy97o

Since Disney hired them unvaccinated, Disney should not fire them on the spot. They should however change their policy and only employ people who are up to date with their vaccines. They should give these CMs the chance to get vaccinated if they want to come back to work. You are not allowed to attend the public schools in NY if you aren't vaccinated. Work should be no different.
School vaccination requirements are easy to get around. That is why vaccination rates in parts of Southern California have plummeted.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

That's not true New York has exemptions to being vaccinated for medical and religious reasons. Just like pretty much every other state.

TP2000

That clearly needs to change.

You can exempt your children in public school from vaccinations by claiming "religious beliefs" or "personal beliefs" in California. And 48 other states too. And I think religious belief is a valid excuse and no business of government agencies. But that said...

There is no proof required of what religion or what belief you subscribe to (nor could proof be reasonably checked by government entities), so it's basically young mothers of your generation who listened to Dr. Jenny McCarthy and spend a lot of time on Mommy Blogs who feel their children are too cool to be immunized against communicable diseases. And they fraudulently claim "personal beliefs", or worse, "religious beliefs", because they know the local school board can't say a thing about it.

Anything you might be able to do to reach out to your generational peers would be appreciated. :)

The easy ability to claim "religious beliefs" won't change any time soon, but I think a few good outbreaks like this one might change their minds.

Last edited:

TP2000

Yeah, but California is just a mess of a state. They're exempt from common sense.

I've lived in several other parts of the country and I understand that it's always fun for Non-Californians to bash California (especially in the depths of a grey, depressing winter when tomorrow's forecast for Disneyland is sparkling sunshine and 81 degrees) but there are only two states in the Union that allow school children to be exempt from vaccinations for documented medical reasons only; West Virginia and Mississippi.

The other 48 states allow "religious belief" exemptions from vaccinations for public school children, just like California does. 20 of those states also allow "personal belief exemptions" for parents of public school children whose religion, or lack thereof, doesn't forbid vaccinations. California is one of those 20 states that also allow "personal belief exemption", along with;

Washington
Idaho
Utah
Arizona
Colorado
Texas
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Louisiana
North Dakota
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan
Alaska
Hawaii
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Vermont
Maine

It's a shame it's still not the 1970's, you could've followed that bad vaccination joke up with a smog joke. But now we don't even have smog to make fun of. :oops:

mtc102009LARGE.jpg

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I've lived in several other parts of the country and I understand that it's always fun for Non-Californians to bash California (especially in the depths of a grey, depressing winter when tomorrow's forecast for Disneyland is sparkling sunshine and 81 degrees) but there are only two states in the Union that allow school children to be exempt from vaccinations for documented medical reasons only; West Virginia and Mississippi.

The other 48 states allow "religious belief" exemptions from vaccinations for public school children, just like California does. 20 of those states also allow "personal belief exemptions" for parents of public school children whose religion, or lack thereof, doesn't forbid vaccinations. California is one of those 20 states that also allow "personal belief exemption", along with;

Washington
Idaho
Utah
Arizona
Colorado
Texas
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Louisiana
North Dakota
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan
Alaska
Hawaii
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Vermont
Maine

It's a shame it's still not the 1970's, you could've followed that bad vaccination joke up with a smog joke. But now we don't even have smog to make fun of. :oops:

mtc102009LARGE.jpg

Gotta love the California bashers! We wouldn't be California without them.

Interesting that no one has mentioned the fact that measles is also in 5 or 6 other states, as well as Mexico. Looks like other states are "exempt from common sense," too.

TP2000

I love California! I lived in La Jolla for 3 years and I would move back in a heart beat if i could! At any rate, this religious beliefs BS needs to stop! No immunizations then you must be home schooled! Things need to change.

And yet this latest outbreak wouldn't have been prevented by home schooling the un-vaccinated. It started in a busy theme park at Christmastime.

If you are the type who doesn't want your kids vaccinated, and all your fellow Mommy Bloggers don't want to vaccinate their kids either, then the solution is to keep your children at home forever and never let them go to Disneyland, or the mall, or the movies, or a birthday party, or Gymboree, or the Apple Store, or anywhere past your front door really.

drew81

How long till someone sues WDC claiming they got the disease from the Disneyland employees? Even though it's not the company's fault, I see this happening.

They will seek a suit for loss of wages or time off from work, medical treatment and bills etc.

tribbleorlfl

Original Poster
You can exempt your children in public school from vaccinations by claiming "religious beliefs" or "personal beliefs" in California. And 48 other states too. And I think religious belief is a valid excuse and no business of government agencies. But that said...

There is no proof required of what religion or what belief you subscribe to (nor could proof be reasonably checked by government entities), so it's basically young mothers of your generation who listened to Dr. Jenny McCarthy and spend a lot of time on Mommy Blogs who feel their children are too cool to be immunized against communicable diseases. And they fraudulently claim "personal beliefs", or worse, "religious beliefs", because they know the local school board can't say a thing about it.

Anything you might be able to do to reach out to your generational peers would be appreciated. :)

The easy ability to claim "religious beliefs" won't change any time soon, but I think a few good outbreaks like this one might change their minds.
Fyi, the religious exemption laws vary
from state to state, as does the actual exemption process. Some states refer to vaccination violating personal religious convictions, others refer to vaccinations violating religious tenants and practices. Some states only require signing an exemption form, others require a statement from the applicant exactly how vaccination violates their religious beliefs.

The problem with all of this is, NO MAJOR RELIGION today advocates against vaccinations. This is an excellent scholarly study on the topic and found that many "religious objections" rose out of a group of like-minded people within a faith community rather than the teachings from the faith itself. It's VERY common in the AV community to cloak their views in religion, and you better believe they know which states have the most AV-friendly exemption laws. In states that require a little more documentation, they know which religions to (fraudulently) claim in order to get their exemption approved.

While I'm generally a pro-faith and freedom kind of guy, I do not believe a religious objection not supported theologically is a valid religious exemption. I do agree with you the government has no business determining what is theologically valid, which is why many states are starting to require a statement or signature from a priest/pastor/religious leader (someone who IS qualified to determine if an objection is theologically valid) confirming the religion has an objection to vaccination and the applicant is a member of the religion. This protects the small minority of people who have valid religious objections while eliminating the massive amounts of fraud that goes on.

If you're worried about getting the measles and old enough for the vaccine, then get it. It does take 2-3 weeks though to become immune to it. Also, if you are extra concerned, you can get the vaccine at 6months and older. We got it for our 7 month old because we live in SoCal and didn't want him to get the measles. We have gone back to Disney 3 times in the past 2 months and it hasn't been a problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom