Deluxe vs. AoA For Family with Small Kids

Tom P.

Original Poster
Hi folks,

We're in the process of planning our vacation to Disney World this year. We've taken our family twice before, and both times have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. While we were satisfied with it, we didn't feel that the "theme-ing" was really that appealing for small children. And now that our family has grown -- 2 adults and 5 children -- we're pretty much out of the moderates anyway, just in terms of size.

Assuming we don't want to book multiple rooms, that leaves us two choices, as far as I can see -- the family suites at Art of Animation or a deluxe resort. Money is always an issue of course, but that's not what I'm focused on right now. What I'm wondering is what folks think will make a better experience for little kids.

At the time of our visit, our children will all still be young -- 8, 6, 5, 3, and 1, to be exact. I've never personally stayed in a deluxe resort before, but I read so much saying how awesome they are and how if you can afford it you should definitely experience it. Yet looking at them online, while a place like, say, Wilderness Lodge does look very nice, honestly Art of Animation looks like it might be more fun and exciting for our children.

So my question basically boils down to this: the perception is that deluxe is always better than value. It's deluxe after all! But do you think that's necessarily true with children the ages of ours? Or are they going to have more fun and find things more exciting over at Art of Animation, despite it being in the lower value tier?

Thanks,
Tom

stevehousse

Your kids will definitely have a more fun time at AOA. So much theming that appeals to their ages and their something for everyone there! They may not have a monorail service, but the resort does not share busses with anyone else which is nice and I have heard nothing but good things about their food court. Why type of room would u be getting at a deluxe resort? I would imagine the suite at AOA to be comfortable for a family of your size. If you are thinking about getting a 1 or 2 bedroom at a deluxe, the cost of your trip would probably double since they are so expensive. I know money isn't an issue you said, but if I could shave off thousands from a vacation I would do it. More extr money for dining and souvenirs!

Tom P.

Original Poster
Thanks! I didn't exactly say money wasn't an issue. :) Just that if we could swing a deluxe, and it was going to be some majorly better experience for our family, that we might consider it. I'd definitely prefer the cheaper prices at AoA.

As for the specific room type at the deluxe, it would have to be something that would accommodate our family size. For example, at the BoardWalk Inn, the only room that will hold all of us is a deluxe club level room. The same with the Wilderness Lodge. At the (even more expensive) Contemporary, it would pretty much have to be a suite. Etc.

habuma

We're in the process of planning our vacation to Disney World this year. We've taken our family twice before, and both times have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. While we were satisfied with it, we didn't feel that the "theme-ing" was really that appealing for small children. And now that our family has grown -- 2 adults and 5 children -- we're pretty much out of the moderates anyway, just in terms of size.

We've almost always stayed at POR, but I can see your points about theming and family size. IMO, POR has some of the best theming on property, but yeah...not all that appealing to children. And with a family of the size you have, POR is not a good option.

We just stayed in a Lion King family suite at AoA a few weeks ago and it was very nice. Not at the same level of niceness as POR, but certainly a fantastic place to stay. Plenty of room and the theming is perfect for children. You might also consider the Cars or Nemo suites, depending on the interests of your kids.

The deluxe resorts are certainly awesome, but you'll run into the theming problem there. Except for *maybe* Savannah rooms at AKL, the theming at most deluxe resorts will be very nice, but generally unappealing to kids.

Given your situation, I'd lean toward a family suite at AoA.

DisneyJoe

With a family of 7, even though 1 is an infant, I'd go with 2 rooms at a Value resort (even if it is 2 rooms at AoA in 2 Little Mermaid rooms).

Here is why:

- an AoA family suite can sleep 6 plus the infant in a crib. 2 in the "master" bedroom, 2 on the sofa bed, and 2 on fold down bed, 1 in the crib. With the bed folded down, the sofa bed folded out, and the crib in place, things will be tight.

- 2 rooms at a value resort would still give you 2 bathrooms but have enough beds to sleep 8 plus the infant in the crib - more room. You'd still have 2 bathrooms. With 5 kids and 2 adults, you'd be guaranteed a connecting door.

The only thing you would lose by not having the suite would be the small kitchenette.

Tom P.

Original Poster
You say "you'd be guaranteed a connecting door," but everything I have been told is that they won't guarantee connecting rooms. That, essentially, we won't know if we have connecting rooms -- or even two rooms in the same general vicinity -- until we check in. Is that not true? Having us all in a single room/suite, or at least two connecting rooms, is an absolute must for us.

Thanks!

Kamikaze

You say "you'd be guaranteed a connecting door," but everything I have been told is that they won't guarantee connecting rooms. That, essentially, we won't know if we have connecting rooms -- or even two rooms in the same general vicinity -- until we check in. Is that not true? Having us all in a single room/suite, or at least two connecting rooms, is an absolute must for us.

Thanks!

If you get the family suite, obviously it would be connecting. If you buy two rooms, there is no guarantee, but they will try their best to accomodate.

DisneyJoe

With 5 kids under the age of 9, I've always been told that a connecting door is guaranteed. That being said, they will never put it in writing to cover themselves legally, but I have never seen a family with 5 young children put in 2 rooms without a connecting door; and I am the owner of a travel agency that specializes in Disney and am in 11th year in the business and we've booked a ton of families in 2 rooms.

Tom P.

Original Poster
Thanks for that! That's good information to have. Back to the original question, though, as someone who's planned many of these trips for people, would you agree that Art of Animation would be a better choice for our children than a deluxe resort?

DisneyJoe

Thanks for that! That's good information to have. Back to the original question, though, as someone who's planned many of these trips for people, would you agree that Art of Animation would be a better choice for our children than a deluxe resort?
Depends on you and the kids, you know them better than anyone. My family has had great trips at both deluxe and value resorts, I have awesome memories of my 3 year old loving the Wilderness Lodge at Christmas time, and he loved Saratoga Springs AND Pop Century at age 5 1/2.

Have you let them see photos of the different resorts? They may surprise you. They also pick up impressions from you and what you like.

Weather_Lady

If your focus is on what the kids will enjoy most, I think Art of Animation is a no-brainer. If you didn't think the theming at PORS was "kiddy" enough, you'll find even more restrained theming at most of the deluxe resorts. I would save the deluxe experience for when the children are a little older and better able to appreciate it. (The differences you get for the money: classier theming, pool slides, full kitchens with washer and dryer (in the 1 and 2-bedroom villas), improved transportation options (typically at least one park will be available by monorail, boat launch and/or walking path, in addition to the usual buses), balcony/patio access, fitness centers (some), childcare centers (some), spas (some), and on-site table service dining (often with a signature restaurant). Whether those pluses are worth it to you is a something only you can decide, but they'll most likely be lost on little ones. :)

slappy magoo

AoA is a visual feast, especially for the kids. There are approximately eleventy thousandteen photo ops. All the pools are great but the main pool with its underwater speakers is amazing...

But the food court could very well be a new circle of Hell. Loud, spread out which makes it hard if every kid has a different meal choice, loud, hard to find tables, loud, and loud. We stayed one night there before a week stay at BLT. We intended to eat our lunch and dinner there as well as breakfast the next morning. Lunch was a 90-minute nightmare. We opted to get reservations ANYWHERE (got lucky with Whispering Canyon ressies). Still decided to give breakfast a go, being that we weren't going to a park until afternoon, and instantly regretted it. Food itself was OK, no worse than most food court fare. But the noise factor alone still causes nightmares to this day. If you plan on staying there, stock that fridge, make as many reservations elsewhere as possible and minimize food court trips, staggering them for off-hours when possible.

pluto77

I think it depends on which deluxe resort, how much you want to spend, and how "Disney" (as in cartoonish) you want it to be. I think Animal Kingdom Lodge would be very exciting for kids, but it's probably pricey getting room that would hold that many. Then there's Yacht and Beach Club, which probably has the best pool area on property, but it may be better to save that experience for when your kids are collectively a little older.

I'm not sure if you have already considered this and turned it down, but, don't forget there is at least one other more "moderate" place to stay that would fit a family your size. The Fort Wilderness Cabins can fit 6 people and a crib for a young child. They also have full kitchens instead of kitchenettes in case you guys wanted to eat in a little more. It is, obviously, themed like a campground so it's not overly kid themed. Although, there are some extra kid friend activities if you wanted to partake in those, such as Mickey's Backyard BBQ. The only problem is transportation may be a little more inconvenient. You usually have to take a bus to either another bussing area, or a boat, to get to the parks. Anyway, I just wanted to throw that out there as another option since you only mentioned deluxe resorts and AOA as your only options.

I think, as far as overall theming, AOA or the suites at All a Star Music would be the most kid friendly. Probably more so with AOA. They have the "in your face" theming with giant icons of animated characters. I have not been there yet so I can't comment on any specifics. I know that the rooms themselves are supposed to be pretty well themed at AOA also. Anyway, I wanted to at least being up the Fort Wilderness Cabins as a 3rd option of you haven't considered them yet.

HouCuseChickie

My kids are now 6 and 8, but were 2 and 4 on their first trip and have been to WDW four or five times. We have only stayed deluxe with them, but they've seen the values. Every kid is different, but my kids weren't all that interested in the blatantly obvious Disney themes at the values. Yes, they thought they were neat...but even in seeing pictures, they'd rather go to the majority of the deluxe pools. Ultimately, they like a lot of the things that make the deluxe a deluxe. They love having boats and monorails connecting to their hotel (because something other than a car is cool to a kid), they love being able to see the parks from their hotel- especially fireworks from said parks, and with AKL...animals off of the balcony was a huge perk.

Scott10

Having stayed at all 3 levels of resorts, we too love POR. With that said, my then 5 year old absolutely loved AOA on our trip last summer. The theming both inside and outside of the room had her super excited each day. We especially enjoyed strolling through the Cars section. However, my 2 girls have always enjoyed whatever resort from The Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge with Savanna view, POR, Coronado, and finally AOA...it seems to be their view that you just can't go wrong at Disney!!!

Dwarful

We have stayed with the girls at deluxe, mod and values...they LOVED the stay at AoA suites in the Cars section. The rooms are spacious and if you put the 'beds away' which is very, very easy...the oldest of your children can do it easily you will be fine plus their is far more storage in the suite vs. two rooms. In addition the suite will give you a micro kitchenette (microwave, sink, fridge, coffee maker and all basics (coffee, sugar, bowls, spoons, paper towels, etc). I'd probably put the crib in my room with the bed as it will more out of the way and you will have a little bit of wiggle room to move it around.

I think the 8 yr old would love Yacht Club (that is our girls first choice) but it might be nerve wracking with the other four keeping a close eye on them at the pool as it gets very busy.

polynesiangirl

I am a total deluxe snob, haha, but in your case I think I'd go with AoA. Your kids are at good ages to really love it, and the idea of paying for a room or rooms that will comfortably accommodate your group at a deluxe makes me feel queasy even with my resort snobbery, hahaha.

That said, if you can swing the deluxe cost, you'd indeed be set up for a truly amazing vacation, and your kids will still have a great time at a deluxe property too. I have yet to meet a kid that didn't have fun at any Disney resort hotel so it's not like there's a bad choice here. :)

dreamfinder

Well, look at it this way. AoA family suite for value season would be $303/$336 per weekday/weekend. Or you could look at renting points for a 2BR villa at SSR for 33/37 points during the same time period. Using a rental service would start at $14 per point, so $462/$518 per night. Other properties may have slightly different point costs, I think AKL would be 30/35 for standard view. So it would roughly $150-170 more per night, but you do have things like a full kitchen, and in room washer/dryer. If you deal direct with an owner, you could pay closer to $10-11 per point, so $330ish/$370ish for that 2BR, which isn't much more than the AoA suite. So do keep in mind the possibility of renting DVC points to get that larger room and more amenities without paying the significantly higher rack rates WDW charges. Check out the DVC section for lots of posts on point rentals.

newsies

If you could "swing" a deluxe, I would definitely do it :)

The Grand Floridian is especially fun for small children IMO, they have a very cute water play area with an Alice in Wonderland theme. Grand Floridian is also home to 1900 Park Fare, which is a really great character meal for small children! The Contemporary is also good for children because it's home to Chef Mickey's. It's also home to the "Pirates and Pals Fireworks Voyage" which is a really fun experience. I think all of the deluxe resorts have playgrounds as well. Plus, transportation to the parks is often better, the resorts are often quieter and more serene, and you can see Cindy's castle from the hotel- sometimes from your room! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom