Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

DisneyGentleman

In comparison to the fat hat they threw in front of it?
In comparison to where they threw the hat relative to the forced perspective of the street.
5l39qpf.jpg

Last edited:

articos

According to other sources, it was built to be temporary but could stand for 15 years. So theoretically even if all of you weren't complaining about it they would eventually have to take it down this year or next year.
Kind of, but not necessarily. Let me explain, since I stated the 15 year lifespan initially. When we build attractions, the general timeline we look at is building for a 15-20 year lifespan before it will be replaced with something else. Some rides are removed well before that, others last long after, but we never know. So most all structures that are going to be in place permanently, i.e., anchored in or built like a building would be, which needs to withstand weather or other harsh conditions, would generally be built to a 15 year standard. As designers/ride engineers/architects/show producers, we know plans change all the time, and we know something that is only a 15 month project may be there much longer, so it's best to simply build in a way that will last. That's not the case for something like a temporary tent or a kiosk like the Food and Wine kiosks, but a structure like the Hat requires engineering and was looked at as a more permanent structure, even though it was planned only for the 12-15 month timeframe.

Now, regarding needing to take it out after the 15 years, here's why that's not accurate: after the engineered life expectancy is up, there would need to be a solid inspection of the structure. Chances are it would be fine and would last a number of years longer if properly maintained. There may be some parts that need replacing, or rust that needs removal, but that doesn't mean it needs to be removed. Most steel structures or buildings would last much longer than 15 years, of course. The decision to remove is not because there's any danger of it failing, it was just time to remove it as part of the planning for the future of DHS.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I'd also like to point out that on DisneyStore.com that the merchandise they are selling from the park is showing more and more of Earffile Tower being the icon for the park..Also Notice that Epcot is being called Epcot Center......Hmmm?
7505055880545-1

Well Disney has been on a nostalgic kick the last five years. Would be on Par with the Poly returning to the nostalgic retro name The Polynesian Village Resort.

Now if Disney would just go retro and return the parks to their quality state....

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom