Level of thrill of DLP rides

JillC LI

Original Poster
So I am the chicken in a family of thrill ride lovers. I know they will want to try all the DLP thrill rides, and I hate to miss out, but I can only handle so much. I enjoy Rock n Roller coaster, Big Thunger Mountain, and can tolerate Space Mountain in WDW. I was miserable when I tried ToT and Everest (I like speed but can't tolerate big drops). Given that, how do you think I would fare at DLP on Crush, Ratatouille, Indiana Jones, and DLP's version of RnRC and BTMRR? Are there chicken escapes on those rides like there are at WDW?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Rock n Rollecoaster is identical both layout and physics-wise to DHS.

Thundermountain has a slightly more thrilling feel but is very similar. Almost identical.

Space Mountain in Paris as you know is very different. Similar to Rock n Roller but with a slower launch. It does have inversions but is well worth it for the experience, if it's open when you visit (shut until late July maybe August)

Crush is similar to Primeval Whirl at DAK but more wild. And in the dark. With high banked turns.

Rat is a milder version of Spiderman at Universal. Not a coaster.

Tower has similar drops to Orlando.

Indy Jones has harder drops than WDWs Space Mountain, though similar in style. Also has a loop.

All rides have chicken exits. Just tell the CM at load.

JillC LI

Original Poster
Rock n Rollecoaster is identical both layout and physics-wise to DHS.

Thundermountain has a slightly more thrilling feel but is very similar. Almost identical.

Space Mountain in Paris as you know is very different. Similar to Rock n Roller but with a slower launch. It does have inversions but is well worth it for the experience, if it's open when you visit (shut until late July maybe August)

Crush is similar to Primeval Whirl at DAK but more wild. And in the dark. With high banked turns.

Rat is a milder version of Spiderman at Universal. Not a coaster.

Tower has similar drops to Orlando.

Indy Jones has harder drops than WDWs Space Mountain, though similar in style. Also has a loop.

All rides have chicken exits. Just tell the CM at load.

This is so helpful. Thank you. I was able to ride Spiderman so I'm very happy that it sounds like Rat will be enjoyable for me. I think I'll skip Crush based on that description (is the queue worth seeing?), and I'll see if I'm feeling brave enough that day to try Indy but I'm thinking with a loop rather than just an inversion, I'll probably pass. I don't think Space will reopen in time so that's a moot point. Thanks again.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You're welcome.

The Crush load scene is quite nice so you have the option of queueing with your party to see it and then leaving. Given what you said I think you'd be wise to avoid this one.

Indy is very similar to WDWs Space Mountain in track type and ride system and thus has dippy drops before the one into the loop. The good thing is you can see it without queueing and judge.

The Empress Lilly

Crush always has a long line. You can see the indoor loading area simply by walking into the exit, although there is often a CM there, who may or may not need some convincing. This saves you an hour to go see stuff yourself if you don't want to face a lengthy queue that consist of the outside wall of a warehouse and some bird's nests. (Actual birds)

Indy's got a nice queue though. The ride is very rough, but the queue is fun to walk through. The same goes for Space, for the sake of interest.

HolleBolleGijs

From what you've said, I would recommend against Indy, since it's a particularly rough coaster. Easily my least favorite attraction in the park; it always gives me a headache when I'm fine on other ones like Space Mountain or RnR.

JillC LI

Original Poster
Crush always has a long line. You can see the indoor loading area simply by walking into the exit, although there is often a CM there, who may or may not need some convincing.
The Crush load scene is quite nice so you have the option of queueing with your party to see it and then leaving. Given what you said I think you'd be wise to avoid this one.

If we arrive at DLP by train before opening, would it make sense to start in Studios, grab a FP for Rat, then have the rest of my family proceed to Crush? Would the line for them be most manageable at that time? What fun thing could I do in the vicinity while they wait for Crush? (not another major ride because they will want to do that as well)

We don't mind running back and forth between Parks to maximize attractions. How long is the walk from gate to gate? Should we NOT start at Studios? We don't feel the need to start with the awe-inspiring view of the castle in DL - our goal is to maximize attractions that are different from or not at WDW or DLR in the one day we have.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If the family want to ride Crush, get to WDSP BEFORE it opens. It has been known to open upto half an hour before the listed time. Absolutely head for Crush first. After that, assuming no wait, I'd recommend seeing what standby at Rat is like.

I'd suggest you take everyone's passes to ToT and get Fastpass whilst they ride Crush.

Then head for DLP next door (literally two minutes walk gate to gate) and head for BTM. If the line is huge get a FP and go for Phantom Manor. Then either return to BTM or queue for Pirates. Indy is in a dead end and as such getting a FP for it can be a pain. I've never had to queue any great time for it.

The Empress Lilly

If we arrive at DLP by train before opening, would it make sense to start in Studios, grab a FP for Rat, then have the rest of my family proceed to Crush? Would the line for them be most manageable at that time? What fun thing could I do in the vicinity while they wait for Crush? (not another major ride because they will want to do that as well)

We don't mind running back and forth between Parks to maximize attractions. How long is the walk from gate to gate? Should we NOT start at Studios? We don't feel the need to start with the awe-inspiring view of the castle in DL - our goal is to maximize attractions that are different from or not at WDW or DLR in the one day we have.
That is pretty much my set routine. Arrive by train, hit WDSP first. In the vicinity of Crush the Animation building is a fun place to while away half an hour or so. On your way to getting those ToT fastpasses too.

You could also, being that this is maybe your only opportunity to do the ride, if your party decides to do Crush first thing in the morning, hop over on your own and do Rat through the single rider line. That way you get to see the ride twice. Or walk a bit further and squeeze in a ride that your party will skip on their one day visit. If you have a long Crush line and great timing yourself you might do the Backlot Tour, or Animagique or Armageddon.

Bolna

If you miss Crush first thing in the morning, the other option is to get in line 3 minutes before park closing. They will still show a very long wait, but usually the wait is much shorter by then. Crush has a line that it easy to judge the length of the wait of from just looking at it. If the outside queue that is under the roof is full, you are looking at about 50 minutes. Once you get inside the building, it will be another 20 minutes. If they are queuing in the part of the line that is not under the big roof, the wait will be really long!

The nice thing about Crush is that the line is constantly moving, it is not the stop and go of most lines as Crush has no FP.

JillC LI

Original Poster
Thanks guys. @Bolna, I know there is no way that my family will want to risk waiting until just before closing to try Crush. They will probably want to see it first thing even though I'm sure you're right about the wait being short at the end of the day.

@The Empress Lilly, I like your idea of squeezing in a Backlot Tour, Armageddon or Animagique because the rest of my family probably wouldn't care about missing one of those. I also tend to like the "kiddie" rides that my teenage kids are now "too mature" for - are there any of those in the vicinity of Crush?

Bolna

I suggest the before closing strategy as a back-up plan in case Crush is down all morning or something like that. I understand not wanting to take chances! ;)

Of all the flat rides in the area, I would suggest the Cars Rally spinnerthingie (as the Empress called it...). It is by far the most fun ride of them all. Or go on the parachute jump in TSP for the views.

phrog

I've been so busy planning honeymoon stuff at DLP I forgot about it having rides. Eeekkk. Are there any rides that are not large friendly? I am six foot tall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom