Survivor: Worlds Apart

TheOriginalTiki

He's probably talked about it on Paetron-casts before but never on the main show, probably because he doesn't want to step on production's toes by talking about the casting process so openly. Colton and Caleb ended up being their replacements. I remember there was rampant speculation going on when that cast was set to fly out. People were watching his Twitter like a hawk to see if he'd disappear off of social media.

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
Interesting! Although, people often get people to post for them on social media so it might not have made a difference. Colton was nuts. Like, seriously. And I loved Caleb. My heart goes out to him and his family.
I was reading about this some more...it turns out RC and her father actually flew to location, but then her father was deemed unhealthy to play. Candice and Cody were flown last minute from DC to the Philippines...

TheOriginalTiki

Did you follow all the drama that went down with RC after she won Miss Survivor? Probably one of the craziest controversies in the history of the podcast. Essentially she tried to start her own "rival" podcast to compete with Rob thinking she could pull in listening from his fanbase who voted for her. And then there was that bizarre swimsuit calender project she tried to get off the ground with a bunch of female Survivors who immediately turned her down. She's one of those rare people where I honestly don't know if anyone besides maybe Skupin has actually had positive things to say about her, either from during the game or her antics post-game.

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
Did you follow all the drama that went down with RC after she won Miss Survivor? Probably one of the craziest controversies in the history of the podcast. Essentially she tried to start her own "rival" podcast to compete with Rob thinking she could pull in listening from his fanbase who voted for her. And then there was that bizarre swimsuit calender project she tried to get off the ground with a bunch of female Survivors who immediately turned her down. She's one of those rare people where I honestly don't know if anyone besides maybe Skupin has actually had positive things to say about her, either from during the game or her antics post-game.
:confused: :p:hilarious: No, I didn't...but that's kind of ridiculous (and hilarious!). Speaking of which...I was about to post that the next Mr. and Mrs. Survivor voting is up! I put mine in for Spencer, Keith, Josh, Jefra, Baylor, and Kass (Kass and Keith just for fun:D:p)

TheOriginalTiki

I really don't get Spencer's appeal, but that's just me. He was basically at the mercy of Tony's gameplay throughout the entire season and really never pulled off a "move" by himself. And frankly his elitist personality REALLY rubs me the wrong way. Having said that...he's going to win hands down.

My votes will go towards Jon/Tony/LJ for Mr. and Jefra, Natalie, and Jacalyn for Ms.

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
I really don't get Spencer's appeal, but that's just me. He was basically at the mercy of Tony's gameplay throughout the entire season and really never pulled off a "move" by himself. And frankly his elitist personality REALLY rubs me the wrong way. Having said that...he's going to win hands down.

My votes will go towards Jon/Tony/LJ for Mr. and Jefra, Natalie, and Jacalyn for Ms.
I really liked Spencer. I found him a very fun person to root for and a great hero. However, I do agree that his strategic game play was over rated, as he didn't make too many moves to keep himself and Tasha alive. However, he did have some good moments.

TheOriginalTiki

The new cast was just released!! My initial first impressions (going in order of the bios)

Max (White Collar)-Definitely the most "well known" person in the cast. I'm rooting for him, if only because he makes the astute point that a large chunk of the Survivor community is actively rooting AGAINST him. He seems really genuine and strategic at the same time. Will defintely be a big character for as long as he's around.

Rodney (Blue Collar)-Another Boston character, and he claims he's going to be the best Boston survivor ever. Good luck with that one, buddy. I don't think this guy is going to be taken very seriously at first glance. Seems too full of himself.

Tyler (White Collar)- Someone with my name is finally on the show! In all seriousness, not at all what I was expecting based on pre-game reports that he was a football player (he does mention football in his video, but obviously the Hollywood stuff is a much bigger deal to him) Kinda worried for him. Not sure he's going to be the most socially graceful. We'll see what happens.

Nina (No Collar) I instantly like her. Only the second deaf contestant ever and she automatically seems a thousand percent more socially graceful than Chwisty Smith from Amazon. Definitely will be rooting for her!

Jenn (No Collar) Winemaker from Sonoma. INSTANTLY have to root for her on a "home team" basis!

Dan (Blue Collar) Sent in over 100 applications, jack-of-all-trades, seems like a HUGE fan who was dying to get on the show. For that alone he definitely seems like a likeable guy. Not so sure how well he'll do in a social setting.

So (White Collar) Doesn't stand out too much. Always nice to have a strategic Aisan female, I guess. Surprised the fact that she had to drop from SJDS wasn't mentioned.

Joaquin (White Collar) Definitely talks a lot about being the "alpha male" (not the best Survivor strategy...) but was a bit more humble and self-deprecating than I thought he'd come off as. I was really expecting him to be a total tool and was kinda surprised by how "nice" he seemed in his quest to be the alpha :p

I'll comment on the rest when I have time.

TheOriginalTiki

I won't be watching live because I'll be in class, but yea should be a fun show. Of course the one I'm REALLY looking forward to is the pre-season "Corrine talks smack about the new people" podcast. Those are always GOLD and should be especially good with her elitist "white collar" attitude by nature.

IDI-Have you checked out any of Rob's "The Evolution of Survivor Strategy" audiobook? I highly reccomend it. Hours upon hours upon hours for every season and talking at length about each individual player and their role in the game. It's really great stuff and has established a sepperate identity from Mario Lanza's "Historians" podcast (another terrific show if you haven't checked that out.) The chemistry Rob has with Josh Wiggler is absolutely impeccable. The way they carry their in-jokes through all the chapters is an honest-to-god inspiration for me as a podcaster :p

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
I have listened to the free episodes, but I haven't quite got it all. It's really good though so far, and I have heard good things about it, so I'm thinking about it.

TheOriginalTiki

I got the first volume for Christmas (along with Rob and Stephen's "39 Laws of Survivor Strategy" which was kind of underwhelming...) one thing I'll say is that it's definitely a big time investment. I've still only listened to two of the five chapters for Pearl Islands and All Stars respectively, and Vanuatu is being released on Friday. (Less than two weeks until "Worlds Apart" premiere!!)

DinoInstitute

Original Poster
First trailer is up. Get's me excited the show is under one week away! But I have to say, I'm really not digging the people in the water graphics and commercial logo.

Also, what Jeff says at about 1:10 in this next video gets me even more excited...Could this season really be the re-birth of Survivor into pop-culture? I feel like for a while it hasn't so much been real popular or advertised, but more of a special gem for those of us who knew about it:p:D I feel like this could be good.

TheOriginalTiki

I really hope this isn't another Caramoan situation where Jeff hypes the heck out of the season but it ends up being somewhat lackluster. Wasn't "Cagayan" a big hit with casuals? I mean, it didn't pull Pearl Islands/All Stars numbers or anything like that, but it was probably the most talked about season since Heroes vs. Villains (then came SJDS which is an under-rated gem that got completely burried...)

The very fact that Survivor has had 30 iterations is reason for people who haven't watched since the pre-All Stars era to take note of that. The show is becoming a Wheel of Fortune/Price is Right style juggernaught that most likely is going to be on air another ten seasons from now

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom