Pre-Trip Birthday Surprises and Running Princesses

Hey everyone!
I realize that I just finished my last TR and this PTR is a little premature since I don't have anything super specific planned but I am so excited that I need to write about it :)
So lets get started:

Who?
So…I'm pretty sure the trip will be my Mom, myself, and my sisters Betta and Jill (I'm trying to convince my Dad to go so we will see how it works out!). We all were last at Disney in June 2014 (yes, just about 2 months ago)
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B%3C8%3B%3Dot%3E244%3A%3D54%3A%3D958%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B53992499246ot1lsi

From left to right: me (Megan), Betta, my mom and Jill at the Boardwalk!

When?
This is another detail I am working out. The original plan was to go from Feb 20 to Feb 25 but my residency schedule has changed a bit so I won't be able to go until the 21st and the more I think about it the more I can't only stay for a few days so I'm hoping to convince at least one person (*cough my mom cough*) to stay a bit longer

Where?
I had originally planned on looking into renting DVC points but something about not booking through the Disney website makes me nervous. I'm still pretty torn…I want to try new places (like the Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge) but we also love Port Orleans French Quarter so much that I can't think about staying anywhere else.
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8983%3Dot%3E2456%3D39%3B%3D59%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B546%3C8%3C%3A9246ot1lsi

Why?/the story behind it
I went into a major Disney depression after getting home from the last trip and really needed some motivation to get me through ICU and some of the other tough intern year rotations so I contemplated going on a Disney trip during my scheduled vacation in February. I even said I would go alone haha. In any case Betta and I discovered that the Princess Half Marathon happened to coincide with my vacation time so we decided it would be fun to do it! We talked about it and everyone thought I was joking but when the day came to register Betta and I registered! After thinking about it I really wanted to do something special for my moms birthday coming up (its her 60th so its a big one for her…shhh don't tell her I told you). At least in our house 60th B.Days are a big deal, and especially now that my mom is a cancer survivor. So we decided for her birthday present Betta, Jill, and I would pay for the hotel and the plane tickets and all she would have to pay for is the park tickets. Well, when I told my Dad the plan he wanted in so he said he would pay for the tickets for her so she wouldn't have to pay for anything (I actually find this funny sounding, as if my Dad and Mom don't share a bank account haha)! The whole thing happened so fast I kind of forgot to tell Jill until like 5 pm and told her that if she wanted to do it she would have to sign up fast but she was too late and the half was already full. :( Well, fast forward to about 2 weeks ago and she discovered that she could get in via a charity group so she signed up as well!
I am now just trying to work on my Dad coming even if he doesn't run :)

The Surprise
So I would love to keep this a secret from my Mom until we actually left but thats unrealistic since she obviously has to train haha Also, she's pretty OCD like me and it would drive her nuts if I didn't give her proper time to plan. So her official birthday is on Thursday, but since I have clinic until 10 pm I won't be around to celebrate. Instead, we will be going out to dinner on Friday and thats when we will tell her! I still can't decide how to tell her so any suggestions would be appreciated. We were going to wrap a magic band and give it to her but I wish I could think of something more creative!

I'm also like dying inside because my Mom keeps talking to me about planning a trip for 2 years haha

Ahh can't wait!
192 Days :)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
We get to pick fast passes tomorrow :) I wish I didn't work all day and could stay up and pick them at midnight but I will have to settle with getting up early to do them. All in a days work haha My mom told me (jokingly) that I am going to have to quit my day job to plan Disney trips and weddings! (Betta - my sister you may remember from my TR - got engaged yesterday and I already begged her to let me help plan her wedding :rolleyes:)

LisaBelle

Woo hoo! So excited you get to pick fast passes in the morning. Can't wait to hear what you choose. Congratulations to Betta! Loved your mom's comment about quitting your day job to plan Disney trips and weddings! Sounds like fun to me :). Could there be a Disney wedding pre trip report in your future?!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Woo hoo! So excited you get to pick fast passes in the morning. Can't wait to hear what you choose. Congratulations to Betta! Loved your mom's comment about quitting your day job to plan Disney trips and weddings! Sounds like fun to me :). Could there be a Disney wedding pre trip report in your future?!

I wish there was going to be a wedding PTR in my future but sadly I do not thing so..she told me she was saving that honor for me :) I will have to write up our fast passes soon..maybe tomorrow. I picked a few at midnight and the rest at 530 this morning so I honestly don't even remember what I picked haha

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Ok here are the Fast Passes/Dining we chose *by we I mean I obviously : Mind you I was literally half asleep making these so some are weird/I'm sure I will be doing some rearranging

Saturday Feb 21st: plan is to pick up packets then head to MK :
Space Mountain 2:15-3:15
Mine Train 3:15-4:14
BTMR 4:15-5:15
We plan on eating somewhere in the park so if anyone has any good suggestions for pre-race type food that we can find in MK let me know :)

Sunday Feb 22nd: RACE DAY then possible quick trip to DTD then MK:
Splash Mt 12:40-1:40
Cinderella and Rapunzel M and G 1:50-2:50
Mickey M and G 2:50 - 3:50 (I picked M and Gs so we could wear our race medals around the park and then have characters comment on them...because that made sense to me at 4 am when I made these haha)
California Grill 7:10 pm (hoping I can spread this to 9 pm for Wishes..I don't know why I picked 7:10 as a reservation time)

Monday Feb 23rd: HS
Tower of Terror 9:40-10:40 (My Mom and Betta hate this ride, I'm making them do it haha)
10:50-11:50 Toy Story Mania
12:10-12:25 - Frozen Sing Along
maybe do a quick park hop and then:
Sci Fi Diner 4:45 pm
Hopefully Fantasmic

Tuesday Feb 24th: Epcot
9:40-10:40 Character M and G
10:55 - 11:55 Turtle Talk with Crush
12:35- 1:35 Test Track
Tutto Italia 6:00pm

Wednesday Feb 25th: AK
9:40 - 10:40: Kilimanjaro Safari
10:45-11:45: Everest
11:45-12:45 Dinosaur
Hopefully some sort of eating will happen at Flame Tree BBQ

Thursday Feb 26th: Epcot with likely park hop to HS at some point
Soarin 9:45-10:45
The seas with Nemo: 10:45-11:45
Spaceship Earth 11:55 - 12:55
Hoop Dee Doo 4:00 pm

Friday Feb 27th: MK and park hopping
1900 Park Fare 8:30 am
7DMT: 11:25-12:25
Anna and Elsa! (I had this last year then dropped it in case I took it away from little kids...then this year I got greedy and got one haha) 12:50-1:50
Space Mount 1:50-2:50
Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party at night

Sat Feb 28th: Just my mom and I at this point, HS
Star Tours 9:35-10:35
Disney Junior Live: 11:00-11:15 - ok so honest opinion here: I know I'm 26 but I really wanted to see this so I could see Doc McStuffins...then I realized you sit on the ground for this...would be it be embarrassing for my mom and I to see this alone or no? Maybe we could blend in with the other families and not stick out for not having young children haha
Toy Story 11:45-12:45
BOG at 6:30 pm

Sunday March 1: AK
Lion King 10:30 -10:50
Everest 11:30-12:30
Disney Pals M and G 1:00-2:00 (yes I may have overdone it on the M and Gs...hey we are all kids in Disney right?)
Artist Point 7:00 pm - not sure if we will keep this reservation since my mom doesn't really like too much fancy food but we will see, she does like scallops has anyone ever had those there?

Monday March 2: MK
Winnie the Pooh 9:00 -10:00
Buzz Lightyear: 10:30-11:30
Tonys Town Square 1:30 pm
Festival of Fantasy Parade 2:45-3:05
Home :(

Why do I always feel like there isn't enough time to do everything before I even get there? We are going to try and fit in Typhoon Lagoon somewhere too

Last edited:

LisaBelle

I am so excited for you (and truth be told, a little jealous!)! Your plans look great! I am impressed that you will run the 1/2 marathon and then head to MK for a full afternoon and evening.
I don't have any personal experience with this, but I have read other TRs where people have dragged out an early California Grill reservation in order to be able to watch Wishes, so It's probably doable. Order a drink. Sip it while you read the menu, order an appetizer and take a long time eating it, savor your entree, take a long time time choosing dessert, you get the picture!
We went to meet Anna and Elsa and were very glad that we did it.
I say if you want to see Doc McStuffins you should go to the show. Most people are so wrapped up in what their kids are doing that they probably won't even notice you. Besides, Disney is all about letting your inner child come out, you should go and enjoy it.
I love Tutto Italia! I'm glad you get to go to BOG for dinner. I have only been there for lunch and can't wait to try it for dinner. Remember to try the pistachio creme brûlée for dessert at Tony's. It is yummy! Hoop de Doo looks like so much fun!
I know exactly what you mean about feeling like you won't have enough time even before you get there. I always feel that way, too. We all know that even the best laid plans won't allow for everything, but in a way that is good because it always leaves the door open to return for another trip to fit in all the things you didn't get to do the last time!!!!
Can't wait to read more. Before you know it, you'll be packing!!!!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I am so excited for you (and truth be told, a little jealous!)! Your plans look great! I am impressed that you will run the 1/2 marathon and then head to MK for a full afternoon and evening.
I don't have any personal experience with this, but I have read other TRs where people have dragged out an early California Grill reservation in order to be able to watch Wishes, so It's probably doable. Order a drink. Sip it while you read the menu, order an appetizer and take a long time eating it, savor your entree, take a long time time choosing dessert, you get the picture!
We went to meet Anna and Elsa and were very glad that we did it.
I say if you want to see Doc McStuffins you should go to the show. Most people are so wrapped up in what their kids are doing that they probably won't even notice you. Besides, Disney is all about letting your inner child come out, you should go and enjoy it.
I love Tutto Italia! I'm glad you get to go to BOG for dinner. I have only been there for lunch and can't wait to try it for dinner. Remember to try the pistachio creme brûlée for dessert at Tony's. It is yummy! Hoop de Doo looks like so much fun!
I know exactly what you mean about feeling like you won't have enough time even before you get there. I always feel that way, too. We all know that even the best laid plans won't allow for everything, but in a way that is good because it always leaves the door open to return for another trip to fit in all the things you didn't get to do the last time!!!!
Can't wait to read more. Before you know it, you'll be packing!!!!

Thank you! I'm not sure how well we will do with a full day of MK after a half but we will see haha I've heard recovery at Disney is pretty good because you are forced to walk a lot after the race so you recover faster. I tend to be a slow recovery but I will also not be running this race super fast so I think we will be ok...just sleepy.
I will definitely take your tips with me to CG so we can make it to 9:00 wishes. I tried to change our time but it was booked already. Last time we were there I think we were there for about 2 hours anyway so hopefully it works out...they don't rush you too much when you are there.
I told my mom what you said about Disney Junior haha she agreed she would go with me to see it!
You will have to remind me closer to the trip to try the pistachio creme brûlée :) I def want to try it but I'm pretty sure I will forget between now and then !

...I can't even think about packing yet...haha

LisaBelle

Thank you! I'm not sure how well we will do with a full day of MK after a half but we will see haha I've heard recovery at Disney is pretty good because you are forced to walk a lot after the race so you recover faster. I tend to be a slow recovery but I will also not be running this race super fast so I think we will be ok...just sleepy.
I will definitely take your tips with me to CG so we can make it to 9:00 wishes. I tried to change our time but it was booked already. Last time we were there I think we were there for about 2 hours anyway so hopefully it works out...they don't rush you too much when you are there.
I told my mom what you said about Disney Junior haha she agreed she would go with me to see it!
You will have to remind me closer to the trip to try the pistachio creme brûlée :) I def want to try it but I'm pretty sure I will forget between now and then !

...I can't even think about packing yet...haha

Another member posted a reply in a TR saying that she went to see the Disney Jr. Show by herself, so I think you and your mom will be fine.
I am really looking forward to hearing about your race experience. My sister and I got our crowns for the 2016 Princess 5k. I bought Elsa's crown for myself, then she was jealous and was trying to decide which Princess she most identified with. She finally decided on Jasmine, so I went to the Disney store and bought her a Jasmine crown for Christmas. That was my favorite gift I gave to anyone this year! I was so excited for her to open it! Are you ladies wearing crowns and special costumes in the race?
I will do my best to remember to remind you about the creme brûlée closer to your trip.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Another member posted a reply in a TR saying that she went to see the Disney Jr. Show by herself, so I think you and your mom will be fine.
I am really looking forward to hearing about your race experience. My sister and I got our crowns for the 2016 Princess 5k. I bought Elsa's crown for myself, then she was jealous and was trying to decide which Princess she most identified with. She finally decided on Jasmine, so I went to the Disney store and bought her a Jasmine crown for Christmas. That was my favorite gift I gave to anyone this year! I was so excited for her to open it! Are you ladies wearing crowns and special costumes in the race?
I will do my best to remember to remind you about the creme brûlée closer to your trip.

Oh thats so fun with the crowns! I bet she loved it! We are wearing glitter running skirts and we still haven't picked tops yet! I'm not sure if we will wear crowns I feel like at mile 13 I would probably pull it off my head haha There are some running shirts my sister found that are princess themed so we may look into that!

LisaBelle

Oh thats so fun with the crowns! I bet she loved it! We are wearing glitter running skirts and we still haven't picked tops yet! I'm not sure if we will wear crowns I feel like at mile 13 I would probably pull it off my head haha There are some running shirts my sister found that are princess themed so we may look into that!
Yeah, the crowns may be too much for 13 miles! I wondered about them even for the 5k, but decided that if it is driving me crazy I can carry it since a 5k is so short. Can't wait to see the photos of your outfits.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
We got another pin code...weird. The dates are for our dates for this trip again but the other dates happen to fall within my other vacation time..hmm...I already tried to convince my mom to go but she didn't go for it haha Also the pin code was sent to my sister and not me so that wouldn't work anyway...I can dream right? Also, my friend is getting married in California over the summer so I'm hoping maybe I can sneak in a quick trip to Disneyland so I suppose I should save my money for that! In any case I am going to call and see if perhaps this pin code will apply to our reservation since the last one did not. I know its all based on availability but I also know that sometimes different things happen depending on who you speak with :)

Sumrdog

After talking to you on my thread I came over here to yours. I love how you surprised your mom!!
I just read your plans and they look super fun! We will be there the same week. Sadly I am not doing the Princess Half. I am doing the Star Wars in two weeks so I can't afford to do the Princess too. I can't wait to read about your race!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
After talking to you on my thread I came over here to yours. I love how you surprised your mom!!
I just read your plans and they look super fun! We will be there the same week. Sadly I am not doing the Princess Half. I am doing the Star Wars in two weeks so I can't afford to do the Princess too. I can't wait to read about your race!

Thank you :) She was definitely super surprised she keeps talking about it :) Thats so fun that you will be there the same week...with your whole family? Is the Star Wars run in Disneyland? That one looked fun when I was looking at races. I think the next one I want to do is the Tower of Terror 10k that one always looked cool.

Sumrdog

Thank you :) She was definitely super surprised she keeps talking about it :) Thats so fun that you will be there the same week...with your whole family? Is the Star Wars run in Disneyland? That one looked fun when I was looking at races. I think the next one I want to do is the Tower of Terror 10k that one always looked cool.
Yes the Star Wars is at Disneyland which is an easy hop from Montana. We are doing a big family trip in February and my kids have no idea!!!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I can't decide which is worse...my pre-Disney nightmares (I'm always dreaming that everyone gets fed up with my planning and leaves me alone in the parks...which probably isn't a bad thing...haha) or my ICU nightmares. I start ICU on Monday :( Thankfully I have a Disney trip to get me through what is bound to be one long month! 6-ish more weeks...can't believe it!

mrdrift

All of the ADRs and FPs are really star picks. You seem to get everything you wanted with no issues. Can't wait to read the trip report. Following along.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
All of the ADRs and FPs are really star picks. You seem to get everything you wanted with no issues. Can't wait to read the trip report. Following along.

Thank you so much! I sometimes think I spend too much time planning these trips when no one else really gives me any input but in the end they all appreciate it so I try and pick good things :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom