I almost cancelled... Would You? (WDW vs. UO)

R W B

Speaking as a Baton resident....if you aren't here for an LSU game, and aren't here to shop, there's nothing much here to offer anyone.
That's the only reasons I go to BR lol. Always there for football games and when my fiancé wants to go to the mall of La.

I was meaning more along the lines of swamp tours, plantation tours and things along that line down the bayou and river parishes.

heath.sneyd

Original Poster
Good arguments all around. I had thought about Cali, but we live in Tennessee, and I prefer driving, plus she's been to LA already and seen all that. Honeymoon is the Bahamas, so that one's out, and if we cruised, she's royal Caribbean all the way and swears she wont take another one until she can go on the Alaska cruise. Regardless, I decided Orlando because she's never been anywhere there, and it's a total surprise. She's clueless on where we are even going.

i ultimately stuck with WDW because of all the adult stuff it'll be practically impossible to do once we do have kids. Although I'm still thinking about bumping our WDW tickets down to 4 days and hitting up Universal for 1 or two.

And really, this is my first time there on my schedule. Last time, it was the High School band's schedule, only two days in the park, and the time before, we just went to MK. I've NEVER stepped foot in Epcot or AK. I've NEVER seen fireworks or parades, and I honestly don't think I've seen all of either park I've been to that I can remember. Likewise, I can navigate both Universal parks without a map, even though I haven't been since before HP arrived and Jaws was removed.

Awesome conversation. Love the points being brought up. Please continue! :)

MissingDisney

Well in that case, go to both if you can swing it, see every parade and firework show there is, step BOTH feet into EPCOT and AK, do what you want to do on your time! Disney has plenty to offer the adults-only/kid-free crowd. While I thoroughly enjoy this stage in life with the kids and making Disney memories, I regret my husband and I did not go by ourselves before we had kids, and look forward to going there together in our golden years if our kids do not put us in the poor house first.

CP_alum08

Good arguments all around. I had thought about Cali, but we live in Tennessee, and I prefer driving, plus she's been to LA already and seen all that. Honeymoon is the Bahamas, so that one's out, and if we cruised, she's royal Caribbean all the way and swears she wont take another one until she can go on the Alaska cruise. Regardless, I decided Orlando because she's never been anywhere there, and it's a total surprise. She's clueless on where we are even going.

i ultimately stuck with WDW because of all the adult stuff it'll be practically impossible to do once we do have kids. Although I'm still thinking about bumping our WDW tickets down to 4 days and hitting up Universal for 1 or two.

And really, this is my first time there on my schedule. Last time, it was the High School band's schedule, only two days in the park, and the time before, we just went to MK. I've NEVER stepped foot in Epcot or AK. I've NEVER seen fireworks or parades, and I honestly don't think I've seen all of either park I've been to that I can remember. Likewise, I can navigate both Universal parks without a map, even though I haven't been since before HP arrived and Jaws was removed.

Awesome conversation. Love the points being brought up. Please continue! :)
You make a lot of really good points here. I'd say keep the Disney trip but try and focus on more "adult" things that will be more difficult with kids. Nice meals. A few choice beverages in Epcot. Maybe a round of golf if you're into that. And most importantly...relax! Make it a point to not stress or let little things upset you while in the parks.

Magenta Panther

I'm a huge movie fan. Almost twelve years ago, the last time I was at WDW, we barely spent any time in "MGM" and I was super steamed. Before I started doing my planning for my first trip back to Disney since 2003, I was really looking forward to DHS and what all it had to offer... Until I realized that half of it is either gone, or so stagnant that everybody hates it. It's just not the park I remembered from the past, and not looking to be what I expected.

With that said, I've been to Universal twice since 2003, and loved every minute of it (even the ones from my 21st birthday that I can't remember). Now with the new Cabana Bay hotel, all the Harry Potter expansions in the two parks, and the RRR coaster, I almost cancelled everything Disney and started booking Universal, and thought I'd plan Disney again when we had kids.

If you were a couple, 29 & 24, going for the last vacation before a wedding, kids, etc., and you love movies & music, what would you have done?

I love Disney, but if I were you, I'd choose Universal. That's where all of the cool new stuff is right now.

BrerJon

Any movie buff would be really, really missing out if they skipped Universal - the park since the first Wizarding World opened is transformed and definitely the highlight of any Orlando trip.

In my view it knocks overpriced and poorly maintained Disney out of the park and is definitely the higher quality option - and there's just not much better in life than a ride on Forbidden Journey followed by a Frozen Butterbeer!

But definitely stay in WDW if you haven't seen much of it before, especially if you have seen lots of Universal, but I'd really try to take a day out to do Universal, even if you just do the Potter stuff - it's just so awesome, and DHS is no longer mainly a movie park really so you're unlikely to want to spend more than a day there, which may free up some time. DHS is still worth doing though, as The Great Movie Ride and Star Tours are pretty much the best movie attractions that aren't Harry Potter themed in Florida, and Lights! Motors! Action! is a great stunt show for film fans, so that park is still worth your time too.

heath.sneyd

Original Poster
I think the revised plan I'm looking at is 4 days in WDW staying on property and 2 UO park-hopper days in the middle, probably Thursday and Friday since Dimirti Martin is at HRL on Friday night (we love good stand-up comedy). Just gotta move around some ADRs and I should be set to go if we go this route.

The other part I didn't mention is that she is totally clueless on where we're going. She knows "1 week vacation" and that's it. I'm driving all night, aiming for rope drop at MK on Day 1, so when she wakes up, we'll be in Orlando.

yensid67

My advice for you is this...

...Since you are young, in love and getting married soon, I would take this time to take your special lady on a Disney Cruise. I think you mentioned that you will be proposing? I would most definitely plan this at The Magic Kingdom, this way you will have a place to visit on your anniversaries, instead of just going on a cruise every year.
IF you plan proposing in the Kingdom, you have a variety of things you can do at a cost, but would make your proposal MAGICAL! Start by calling Disney Florist an see what they have to offer. Go on Youtube and search for Disney Proposals to get some ideas. It can be something simple and intimate, to very public and expensive! Disney will work with you to make your proposal everything you want it to be to make her feel like she is a princess.

Hockey89

You have a lifetime to go to WDW. For a last vacation before marriage, kids etc...I would head to the Bahamas, Rocky Mountains, New England or maybe Washington, D.C.. Maybe even Europe.
Bahamas sucks.... I live in New E and shocked when people come to visit.... Go to Napa...

epcotisbest

Bahamas sucks.... I live in New E and shocked when people come to visit.... Go to Napa...
Why are you so negative? We have had wonderful, multiple trips to the Bahamas and New England. A generalization like "Bahamas sucks" is mostly meaningless and certainly not helpful to the conversation. Care to give some reasons for your opinion?

Chef Mickey

Since we are being negative, Napa sucks, seriously. For a true beach experience, you need to get outside of the US to a more exclusive area. I suggest the Cayman Islands or Turks and Caicos. More exclusive, much warmer water, and some of the best restaurants in the world. The Ritz in the Caymans is just ridiculously good.

BrerJon

I think the revised plan I'm looking at is 4 days in WDW staying on property and 2 UO park-hopper days in the middle, probably Thursday and Friday since Dimirti Martin is at HRL on Friday night (we love good stand-up comedy). Just gotta move around some ADRs and I should be set to go if we go this route.

I think that sounds perfect - you can always leave Universal early and head back to the Disney parks if you find you've done what you need on the second day and want to maximise your Disney time.

Definitely get up early for your Epcot and DAK days, as if you've never been there before you will need all day. And don't worry about the negativity you hear on these boards - on a first time, one-day visit, you won't notice any of the things people moan about!

freediverdude

If you haven't seen Diagon Alley, you absolutely have to. I know you said you're not a Harry Potter fan, but even non-fans rave about it. It really has set a new bar for theme park areas/attractions. And also the Transformers ride is really really good, you get off saying "I wanna ride that again!" and run around to the entrance again to see how long the wait is. So even if you feel you must visit Disney, at least take a couple of days out to go over to Universal, you won't regret it.

TXDisney

Why not do both? When we go to my parents timeshare we do 5 disney days and 3 universal days. 2 of those days are travel days so really 1/2 days. But when you stay onsite you're not gonna go to the other place. Just bc it doesn't make sense. I've only stayed at UO once and to be honest it's a day maybe a day and a half place. We stayed 2 nights and did the parks both days and I think we rode every ride 3-4 times and that was with nice dinners and doing happy hour at margaritaville. Where if you stay at Disney you will never get bored. You'll actually still want to do more stuff after a whole week. My dad loves HS, and us very disappointed they're ting down a lot of the stuff he loves. But there's still plenty to love. My advice is to book both if u can afford it and if you're staying a good amount of time. Do 2 days at universal at RoyalPacific hen go to Disney for 5 days. And stay at whatever resort is in your budget.

heath.sneyd

Original Poster
Scratch that, honeymoon is in Jamaica. http://www.sandals.com/main/ochorios/or-home/

I just noticed that we're fans of package deals...

My advice for you is this...

...Since you are young, in love and getting married soon, I would take this time to take your special lady on a Disney Cruise. I think you mentioned that you will be proposing? I would most definitely plan this at The Magic Kingdom, this way you will have a place to visit on your anniversaries, instead of just going on a cruise every year.
IF you plan proposing in the Kingdom, you have a variety of things you can do at a cost, but would make your proposal MAGICAL! Start by calling Disney Florist an see what they have to offer. Go on Youtube and search for Disney Proposals to get some ideas. It can be something simple and intimate, to very public and expensive! Disney will work with you to make your proposal everything you want it to be to make her feel like she is a princess.

Oh, that's 100% planned already to the T. (Never really understood that saying, but whatever.) I'll share those details a little later on.

If you haven't seen Diagon Alley, you absolutely have to. I know you said you're not a Harry Potter fan, but even non-fans rave about it. It really has set a new bar for theme park areas/attractions. And also the Transformers ride is really really good, you get off saying "I wanna ride that again!" and run around to the entrance again to see how long the wait is. So even if you feel you must visit Disney, at least take a couple of days out to go over to Universal, you won't regret it.

Oh, no, I AM a HP fan (as I look at all 8 movies and 7 books on a shelf above my computer). Just like I'm a Disney Villans fan, i'm pretty sure I belong in the house of Slytherin.

sjhym333

I find the Universal hotels are much nicer, better service and more reasonable in price then Disney. I would stay at Universal, hit those 2 parks, CityWalk and make day trips over to WDW. We have stayed at most of the resorts at Disney but Royal Pacific is our new favorite out at Universal. We also loved Cabana Beach.

Kosmo1986

As much as I do love UO, my heart still lies in WDW. I am 28 (and so is my BF) and we have no kids. I love planning my trips to Disney. If you have never really been on your own schedule then you cannot miss out!

IMO HS is the best. It may seem like the park is closing things but there are some great things to do! The shows are good, the animation academy is great and tower of terror and the best ride on property. AK is always worth it, try Yak and Yeti for lunch, Everest is great and I love the safari.

Pixie VaVoom

I say to hell with marriage and kids! Keep your life YOURS!

Yeah, but none of our studios offer tours as far as I'm aware.

Also, outside of New Orleans, there's not much for tourists to do.

Yeah!!! I am on to your old tricks there, brother...you are just trying to HOG all the BEIGNETS and ETTOUFFE for yourself !!! Shame on you - - Just kidding of course. Dang it, now I am HUNGRY !!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom