Thoughts on TCM's Disney Vault presentation

wdwgreek

Original Poster
Hey All! Having just watched much of TCM's Sunday 12/21/14 evening presentation from the "Disney Vault." I was just looking to hear your opinions on the program and its general reception. I found it particularly interesting that they had an imagineer panel one of the talk backs. Any insight or observations are welcome!

wdwgreek

Original Poster
I liked watching Disneyland and found it great they didn't cut anything like showing scenes from Song of the South. Keep the show to its original form.
I actually thought the same thing! I wonder if in the structured this is historical film context, with discussion before and after Song of the South could be showcased?

SosoDude

I thought it was great. When Leonard Malton mentioned that TMC didn't believe in censoring anything, mu first thought was "they will show Song of the South in the future".

Also, did anyone catch that the host called DHS "Disneyland's Hollywood Studios" at the beginning?

On a side note, I wake up this morning and my 8y.o. son was watching Davey Crockett on the dvr. When asked how he likes the movie, he says its "pretty good" and ask if he can shoot his bb gun when I get home from work. Guess he is going bear hunting.

216bruce

I was 7 years old again! Sat in front of the TV watching Walt on a Sunday night. I just needed my mom to tell me "Don't sit so close to the TV, it's bad for your eyes". Needed a Pepsi, chips, chunks of cheese and lunch meat and it would have been 1964 all over again. Great to see, loved it, etc.
If they show Dr. Syn at some time, I'll even peek from behind the couch.LOL.
Biggest wish to see- "Prince and the Pauper". Haven't seen that since it's original broadcast.

wdwgreek

Original Poster
I thought it was great. When Leonard Malton mentioned that TMC didn't believe in censoring anything, mu first thought was "they will show Song of the South in the future".

Also, did anyone catch that the host called DHS "Disneyland's Hollywood Studios" at the beginning?

On a side note, I wake up this morning and my 8y.o. son was watching Davey Crockett on the dvr. When asked how he likes the movie, he says its "pretty good" and ask if he can shoot his bb gun when I get home from work. Guess he is going bear hunting.
I did hear that! I thought it may have been a mistake, but with DHS name up in the air who knows, although I think adding land to the name won't really make too much sense...

prberk

Really wish I had seen it. Had plans to, but would you believe that I completely forgot?! Even after my posts here. I actually drove home from something last night thinking, "There was something I was supposed to do tonight, and I just can't remember what it is...". How funny is that?

This should teach me to program the DVR early and often!

Hope they repeat parts of it. Love hearing your reports.

Animaniac93-98

Apparently they did edit some of the more obvious racist jokes from Santa's Workshop, despite what Maltin said.

Having all the content in HD was great. A very pleasant surprise since most of it is not available on Blu-ray.

Animaniac93-98

What was presented in "The Disneyland Story" that might have been objectionable? (Just asking, did not see it.)

Probably the True-Life Adventure footage ("primitive cultures" and all that). Or the Song of the South clip.

I think PC concerns is the main reason we never saw a WDT DVD of People and Places.

prberk

Probably the True-Life Adventure footage ("primitive cultures" and all that). Or the Song of the South clip.

I think PC concerns is the main reason we never saw a WDT DVD of People and Places.

What part of Song of the South did they show?

But you know, overall, people understand the historical context of film, especially in a "Treasures" type of archival DVD context.

And for things like "People and Places," assuming you are talking about the travelogue type of vignettes featured on the Mickey Mouse Club and some Disneyland shows, for example, the ironic thing to me was that those vignettes were usually meant to show diversity and pluralism of cultures; and yet to many, now as the clips are dated, seem to be off-putting or labeled offensive. But to me there is value even in that, seeing not only the people and cultures filmed but also the choice of narration and presentation. In its historical context it actually sometimes teaches us as much about the editors, writers, and producers of the time as it does of the subject matter. So, I appreciate having these historical references, and I even did as a child watching reruns. I got it then, and I think most people would get it today (in context).

prberk

The third cartoon segment ("Laughing Place") with a brief bit of Uncle Remus and the two kids before hand.

Don't you sometimes find it ironic that so much from that movie ("my Laughing Place" which shows up on the web as a major Disney site but also in other references; of course "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" and Splash Mountain, and more) has survived so persistently as culturally relevant while the movie has been nearly unseen for so many years.

To me it speaks to the quality of the film overall, including the music and heart of it. Yes, it came from a different time, but there was quality and heart and transience in it also.

216bruce

Next TCM night in March will have "Darby O'Gill", the "King of the Leprechauns" TV episode, "Three Caballeros", "El Grupo", "Fighting Prince of Donegal" and more. Too bad it's not until March!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom