PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

Incomudro

Considering It was MY post, I've been there in May AND October when it's exceeded 100 degrees so it's more than 2 months of the year and It's plenty hot on a regular basis the rest of the year.

My family and I have taken week long vacation to WDW the second week of May for the past four years, 2015 will be our 5th year taking that week.
I can't stand heat and humidity, so let me tell you - that for those past four years that particular May week has had some fantastic weather!
Occasionally maybe two days of the week might get a bit uncomfortable - but still very manageable.
As for the rest of it, we've had some of the most glorious days I've ever seen.
Clear bright blue skies, breezy and essentially no humidity.
I noted this especially, because I thought Florida (all of it) was disgustingly hot and humid all of the time.

Granted, we're talking about weather here - and you can always get a bad week or an unusually good week.
My experience has me sold that early May is a good time to go.

WDWtraveler

does anyone know if the statue and water from the concept art was canceled or is this the final product?

P.S. I failed to post this photo on lobby opening day, Friday, Dec 19. The water feature was operating that day in the lobby.

IMG_4277.JPG

flynnibus

Premium Member
Gaylord Palms is a wide open space with skylights letting sunshine in. Poly's lobby was close, dark and always damp feeling. Two different things completely.

By wide open you simply mean BIGGER.. yes. It's as indoors as the Poly is. it's surrounded on all sides by the hotel wings and convention center.

Edit: I seem to remember a glass wall facing the pool side... so I think one side is maybe all glass... but its not open by any means.. It's all indoors.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
The reality is that it was built long before the public became acutely aware of problems with mold and mildew. With the enclosed space there is hardly any way to prevent moisture from invisibly dispersing throughout the building, but, mostly in the lobby area.

You are completely talking out of your rear. There are plenty of ways to handle humidity. Where it becomes a problem is when you DON'T DO ANYTHING.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Somebody on this site I think lives by the designer and builder of the original fountain. The guy said when built it was only supposed to last 10 years and would have had to be completely torn out and rebuilt. Disney let it slide to just now. So it wasn't just adding dehumidifiers.

Material lifetime is not the same thing as saying there is long term effects of having it in place. The guy's comments were about how quickly/cheaply they did it... not that after midnight everyone turns to pumpkins.

note2001

What do you think he was thinking/feeling about two seconds before this moment?

PVR.jpg

I personally don't think the actual fountain looks anything like this depiction. Aside from the Tiki missing, which we are assuming is still on it's way, where's the flat top, the cascade of water, the rounded base?

The initial concept was a hard pill to take, but then it looks to me as though they attempted to make the rock look more volcanic and instead ended up with something which, in my opinion, just looks bad.

Last edited:

majortom1981

Material lifetime is not the same thing as saying there is long term effects of having it in place. The guy's comments were about how quickly/cheaply they did it... not that after midnight everyone turns to pumpkins.

yeah still he said that it would have had to be completely rebuilt as per the guy who designed it. So Disney decided to just take it out instead of rebuilding it from scratch. People think they tore it out just for they hell of it.

Father Robinson

I mean this question with all sincerity, so please, I ask you, please no sarcasm, but they do read these and other boards occasionally,do you think all this bashing has caused them to think even for a moment that maybe this was a bad move? Do you think it's enjoyable to them to know that 98% of people have such strong opposition to this outcome? How'd you like to be the manager of the Poly reading these threads...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom