How do you keep Disney fresh?

TinkerTara

I recently went on an adult trip to WDW and was able to try some new experiences I would not have thought of with my family. Mostly they centered around food. I tried new restaurants, my favorite was Raglan Road. This was the one restaurant I was least excited about prior and quickly made it to my favorite list. Each time I visit Disney I have to look at it as its own unique trip. If I compare it to a prior trip then I am sure to be disappointed. I find a lot of the Magic comes from those around me. If I enjoy the company then we can make the most out of anything. On my adult trip we had a day full of downpours, not Florida's 10 min rains then sunshine, but downpour all day. After a while you just give up trying to stay dry and enjoy what you can. This experience allowed me to try some Crème brule in France in Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie, which is a little bakery tucked away in the back. I never even realized it was there because I was so busy with my agenda. It is nice to have an agenda and want to plan what you are going to do and where you will be but sometimes the experience forces you to do something different. These unexpected changes often work out for the best. Often when I am away from Disney I imagine it as perfection, no other local park can compare, no other firework display even comes close to giving me that warm and fuzzy feeling. So it is sometimes difficult to look away from the walls around the construction zones and enjoy the rest of the surrounding, but that is something I had to force myself to do. I also looked closer at the walls. I know this sounds weird but what other company will put facts pertaining to the area on the construction walls, who else will decorate it to match the surrounding area, who else will make their construction walls educational and functional at the same time. I am excited to see and experience what comes from behind those walls. There is always something new and different to do I just have to be willing to try them and find them.

BoarderPhreak

Photography is a big thing with me at WDW. The rides, the atmosphere, everything else Disney will always be what it is - which I enjoy tremendously. But it doesn't change that regularly. So to keep things "fresh" as it were, I do that through photography. Each time I go, I explore a different goal; "details" on one trip, "signs" on another, "holiday decorations," etc. It's fun - and a challenge. Alongside, I experience the parks as I always have. :)

BoarderPhreak

Tara; yes! I did that too the last several trips... Determined to "see things I hadn't seen." Rides, restaurants, etc. Because no matter how many times you go, or how much you think you've seen - there's always that one place you've never been in, on or eaten at.

Clamman73

Photography is a big thing with me at WDW. The rides, the atmosphere, everything else Disney will always be what it is - which I enjoy tremendously. But it doesn't change that regularly. So to keep things "fresh" as it were, I do that through photography. Each time I go, I explore a different goal; "details" on one trip, "signs" on another, "holiday decorations," etc. It's fun - and a challenge. Alongside, I experience the parks as I always have. :)

Interesting...I challenged myself this past trip to do better fireworks pictures and to be able to push low light limits with my particular camera and lenses that I brought without the use of flash in any picture. Since I'm there generally on my own, learning photography while on "vacation" keeps things interesting while I'm there.

jiminy.cricket

Original Poster
I actually did not even want to go on our most recent trip which was at least #23 in the past 19 years. The parks seemed stale and realized after all of these years that we are nothing but $ signs to Disney. A funny thing happened, it was probably our best trip to date! We relaxed, quickly realized that FP+ was not going to keep us off attractions if not booked 60 days out, and did not rush thru without taking it all in. I have gone from not caring if we ever went back to planning a trip for spring.
There is always something new to see or do, we still have not seen every show or movie in WS nor have we eaten at many food locations (food is a huge part of the trip for us). We also realized that there is some value to spending time at the resort (we stayed at YC). We figured that if we are paying all of that money for the room we might as well spend some time walking around instead of going crazy running all over the parks every day for 8am-midnight. We also take at least one day off from the parks on a 6 night trip. Going for F&W or F&G is also enjoyable. The trip although about average in length felt much longer which was another plus.
With Disney Springs opening soon followed by Avatar Land (which I hate the idea of but it will probably be cool) and anticipated additions to HS we will keep going. I am one of those people who feels compelled to go see whatever is new as soon as possible.

I recently went on an adult trip to WDW and was able to try some new experiences I would not have thought of with my family. Mostly they centered around food. I tried new restaurants, my favorite was Raglan Road. This was the one restaurant I was least excited about prior and quickly made it to my favorite list. Each time I visit Disney I have to look at it as its own unique trip. If I compare it to a prior trip then I am sure to be disappointed. I find a lot of the Magic comes from those around me. If I enjoy the company then we can make the most out of anything. On my adult trip we had a day full of downpours, not Florida's 10 min rains then sunshine, but downpour all day. After a while you just give up trying to stay dry and enjoy what you can. This experience allowed me to try some Crème brule in France in Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie, which is a little bakery tucked away in the back. I never even realized it was there because I was so busy with my agenda.

It does feel staler now that I've seen most of it all, and am an adult. Sometimes I do feel like a $ being herded. It is true that FP+ didn't keep us from doing what we wanted! We had our priorities and were able to get into places I didn't think we could, just by lining up and without a FP+. I guess FP+ is distributing the crowds. I'm glad you rediscovered the joy! What were your favorite parts of the trip? I do concur...food is becoming an increasingly larger part of each trip. Maybe trips should be centered around food. There is much to try and I've been meaning to try Les Halles! I'm thinking about Raglan Road as well. I've heard so much about it but have never tried it. We may try Sanaa and my family loves O'Hana (It's a bit much food for me!). We won't be doing Epcot this trip, unfortunately. Yes, do enjoy the resort if you're paying for those rooms! Heck, maybe spend the majority of your time there, around the Boardwalk area and Stormalong Bay. We usually only visit the parks 1-2 days. I too am excited about Avatar and Disney Springs. I've not seen the film but the prospect of bioluminescent forests excites me. Yes, it probably will be spectacularly done. I do wonder if I should try vacationing with a group of stoked peers! I do feel like enthusiasts can make the day.

jiminy.cricket

Original Poster
I think my plan is to wait a while until things at WDW start to come together. Right now there's just so much construction and renovating going on that it just ruins it and makes everything seem so...unmagical. In the recent past, we've gone once a year, but I think if I don't get a PI in Orlando this next fall, we are going to probably hold off for a few years (maybe around 5?) and try some other things (Disneyland anyone? :)) in the meantime.
Yes! Construction seems to abound and won't be finished until, well, almost the end of the decade. I too am wondering if I should wait a while...I'm just not sure if I can wait that long! Good luck on your PI application!
Whenever you doubt WDW, ask yourself this: if someone gave you free tickets tomorrow, would you take them?
You bet I would!
Wait a minute...the mickey head lighting up green with each purchase or when you scan your FP+ has not put you into a magical overload and made you feel all tingly inside??
I actually didn't give this much thought, but I do enjoy the green glow. I did feel short of a tingle, though. Maybe I'd be overwhelmed if it sparkled and dispensed money.
I chose one item of clothing from vacation when unpacking (no...not underwear or socks...ewww) usually a T-shirt and put it my closet. The smell of sunscreen, air conditioning, ocean and general smells of wherever we have vacationed (pleasant ones) that have clung to it stay for quite some time and each time I go into my closet I am reminded of wherever I have vacationed and it just kind of relaxes me as I am rushing to get ready in the morning.
I usually put my suitcase in our home office so when I walk in there it smells like our resort room. I occasionally just put my nose into and snort up the smell like a pixie duster attempting to overdose.
I totally get it. This sounds like a great idea! Smells always get me nostalgic.
Honestly it depends what you're into. My wife and I we like to do the rides during the day but relax in the evenings so we do nice dinners and watch the fireworks to finish off the nights. Bc we like to enjoy a few drinks normally we end every night beside the MK days at Epcot to eat dinner and have drinks in WS. But we make sure we so mostly everything when we go for a week. Try new restaurants, hang out in DTD a lil more, try new rides bc there's always a few new ones every trip usually. Walk around the resorts is a new one we've started and we love that.
To keep things fresh we usually head over to a resort we haven't seen in a while or ever been to. We also discovered the magic of DCL. The wife and I will stay in the bubble on both ends of the trip but don't hit the parks. My next trip will be with my (by then ten month old) twins. Seeing it through their eyes will make a difference.
Try going at different times of the year, when they have some seasonal festivities. One year, go at Halloween, next year go at Christmas, etc. (Doesn't hurt that those two specific holidays I mentioned don't have the oppressive Florida heat & humidity.)
These are all great ideas. I'm wondering if I should just come solo or with friends during Food and Wine, the Halloween Party, Flower and Garden, race weekends, etc. when there are fewer crowds and newer things...or yes, at different times each year. I definitely avoid summers! I do wonder if maybe I should stay in the Disney bubble; it would be a new experience. I'm sure seeing the World through your new twins' eyes will be revolutionary! I wonder if I should take people along and introduce them to the magic. I do like the idea of meandering around Epcot, drinking and eating. I also enjoy the resorts; I try to hop among a few favorites each time. We will probably pay the Polynesian Village and Animal Kingdom Lodge visits before we leave. I have to keep finding new experiences; maybe tours too!
That is interesting, theming each trip differently so my focus is on a different objective each time!
saran-wrap-product-detail-page.jpg
Beat me to it. But I would add to refrigerate it. Left out in the heat it will go bad very quickly.
Cryogenics. Duh.
bath, followed up with baby powder.
:hilarious:
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Keep it fresh and keep 'em coming!
keep-fresh-07212012-1_1.jpg

MaxsDad

We have been on property for vacation at least 15 times in the last 10 years, as many here have as well I am sure.

Each trip there has been some new experience: food, resort, attraction, or otherwise.

I can not think of one attraction I would not get on right now (maybe stitch, ok one) if I could.

Chef Mickey

I'm not really sure why one would need to force themselves to keep it fresh. If you fall out of love with it, just do something else. When you're ready to come back, you'll get the urge again.

It's not a crime to not enjoy it as much as you used to. I happen to always love it even after 40+ trips, but everyone is different.

I've seen several threads like these and I still can't understand why people don't like admitting Disney is no longer for them. Just take a breather and make it less crowded for me. :) Seriously though, it's normal.

If nothing else, try to do things a little differently each time. Enjoy more walks in the park. Mix up the park/ride order you take. Enjoy the resorts. Enjoy the water parks. Enjoy some different restaurants. Notice the details. If all that doesn't sound appealing, go to the Caymans instead.

jiminy.cricket

Original Poster
We go on different tours to keep it fresh.
This is a really good idea! We did Keys to the Kingdom tour a few years ago and it was SO cool. We went before I was a CM, so everything was still new and exciting to me as far as backstage goes. I'd like to do the Seeds tour at the Land!
This is a great idea. It occurred to me last night that maybe I need to fill each trip with new experiences, including tours. I also sense that I'd like to be immersed in the magic over saving money off-site. We actually visited the Polynesian last night (O'Hana) and viewed the new lobby, and the Grand Floridian. I loved the experience! I loved the Grand Floridian (and the new flooring), especially the smells and Basin bath products. I would love to take a bath at the Grand! I wasn't too crazy about the Polynesian. Anyway, I also think I need to travel with Disney enthusiasts in the off-season and really make these my trips. My family is sort of half-hearted about the trips. So what are some new experiences I can try? I've read many here:

On-property resorts: Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Swan, Dolphin, Art of Animation, Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge (probably a reach because most of these rates are outrageous for my budget). Magical Express.

Eats: Hoop-Dee-Doo, Sleepy Hollow, Monsieur Paul (although I could probably also find a similar experience off-property), Kringla Bakeri, Les Halles, Rose and Crown, Via Napoli, Raglan Road, Cooke's of Dublin, Brown Derby, Il Mulino, Bull and Bear, Victoria and Albert's, Narcoosee's, Olivia's, House of Blues. We are trying Sanaa tomorrow!

Tours: Safari/Wild Africa, Marceline to Magic Kingdom, Wilderness Back Trail

Attractions: Escape from Gringotts, Disney Springs, Liberty Belle, Test Track, Star Tours, Pandora

Events: Food and Wine, sleigh rides, Fort Wilderness parades and lights, Halloween Party, Marathon, Flower and Garden

Spa day

A few of these thrown together with old favorite activities with the right people may make for a magical vacation! I'm already contemplating...

jiminy.cricket

Original Poster
I'm not really sure why one would need to force themselves to keep it fresh. If you fall out of love with it, just do something else. When you're ready to come back, you'll get the urge again.

It's not a crime to not enjoy it as much as you used to. I happen to always love it even after 40+ trips, but everyone is different.

I've seen several threads like these and I still can't understand why people don't like admitting Disney is no longer for them. Just take a breather and make it less crowded for me. :) Seriously though, it's normal.

If nothing else, try to do things a little differently each time. Enjoy more walks in the park. Mix up the park/ride order you take. Enjoy the resorts. Enjoy the water parks. Enjoy some different restaurants. Notice the details. If all that doesn't sound appealing, go to the Caymans instead.
Thanks! Most of my family could take or leave Disney, I feel. Some actively dislike Disney. I feel strange because I feel the nostagia and the pull back to the experience, but once here, I don't feel a draw to anything specific. Maybe I'm just drawn to the idea of coming? Maybe the magic wasn't there because of the crowds and because we've noticed the level of service at Disney declining. I think we've done just about everything. Hmm. Maybe it's time to start looking at Disneyland and Tokyo.

TXDisney

Go on multiple trips a year if it's in your budget. Don't make every trip to Disney. My wife and I make sure we go to Carribean every year, up to NY every year bc we have family there, and Disney. The perk of Disney is you can book 499 days in advance so you can save while getting excited for your trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom