Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

dstrawn9889

I'm at The Land. Soaring, at the moment is at 115 min wait. This expansion needs to happen sooner than later.
reality check... the wait times will not go down when they open a third screen. more people will be able to see the attraction, but it will still sell out of FP weeks before the day. and the queue will be lengthened(more than likely) to hold 1/3 more capacity. so no tier changes, no standby time reduction.

dstrawn9889

reality check... the wait times will not go down when they open a third screen. more people will be able to see the attraction, but it will still sell out of FP weeks before the day. and the queue will be lengthened(more than likely) to hold 1/3 more capacity. so no tier changes, no standby time reduction.
EDIT::: EPCOT needs to have a people-eater... if you cannot have omnimovers holding people off of the concrete outside, you rack-em' into queues

Mike S

Yup, frozen is gonna be a nightmare queue..
image.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is true at very busy times of the year like now. At less crowded times the standby line should decrease. Using rough estimates if the current FP+ distribution averages 80% of capacity and they decided to make the new layout 2 FP dedicated theaters and 1 standby dedicated theater they would still be increasing FP+ capacity by 25% (from 80% of current capacity to 100%) and increasing the available standby 150% from 20% of existing capacity to the equivalent of 50% of current capacity.

Putting some numbers in (from the Internet so take em with a grain of salt); Soarin had a maximum ride capacity of 1,600 per hour which is about 19,000 riders per day. Adding a 3rd theater brings it to 2,400 per hour or 29,000 riders per day. That's on par with the capacity of SSE, Imagination and Seas in EPCOT and is about the same as the daily average attendance. If only 300 people an hour or less were going through the standby line and it typically averaged 60 min+ waits and they can increase that to one whole theater or 800 per hour it should decrease waits to under 30 mins standby on all but the most crowded days.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
This is true at very busy times of the year like now. At less crowded times the standby line should decrease. Using rough estimates if the current FP+ distribution averages 80% of capacity and they decided to make the new layout 2 FP dedicated theaters and 1 standby dedicated theater they would still be increasing FP+ capacity by 25% (from 80% of current capacity to 100%) and increasing the available standby 150% from 20% of existing capacity to the equivalent of 50% of current capacity.

Putting some numbers in (from the Internet so take em with a grain of salt); Soarin had a maximum ride capacity of 1,600 per hour which is about 19,000 riders per day. Adding a 3rd theater brings it to 2,400 per hour or 29,000 riders per day. That's on par with the capacity of SSE, Imagination and Seas in EPCOT and is about the same as the daily average attendance. If only 300 people an hour or less were going through the standby line and it typically averaged 60 min+ waits and they can increase that to one whole theater or 800 per hour it should decrease waits to under 30 mins standby on all but the most crowded days.

I agree with your math and find no way that the standby line will not decrees on must days. I would like to see the math from those that say it is not going to change. Also my gut feeling is that you can not increase capacity by 50% without a change in wait times.

dstrawn9889

we will see... i say that it will not change because i see people just turn around whan they see the queue, and not come back. so with people that want to see it with two screens turning away and not waiting, those people will be more encouraged to actually stop and wait for a screen instead of finding something else to do. same problem with increasing capacity with TSMM. likely no decrease in wait times(on the whole).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree with your math and find no way that the standby line will not decrees on must days. I would like to see the math from those that say it is not going to change. Also my gut feeling is that you can not increase capacity by 50% without a change in wait times.
The x factor will be if a new movie comes with the expansion. A new movie could increase demand (at least temporally) enough to offset the added capacity.

Horizons...World of Motion...please?...anyone?
The average Disney guest got bored with them and stopped riding. Epcot needs a people eater that people also want to ride over and over again.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
With the exception of WoM the replacements for the older rides haven't proven to be that much more popular. Makes you wonder if ripping them out was the right decision over giving them proper updates.
Both run at near max capacity on a daily basis and are fairly decent draws to the park. I don't know what more you could ask of them.

Mike S

Both run at near max capacity on a daily basis and are fairly decent draws to the park. I don't know what more you could ask of them.
I'm talking about Imagination and Mission: SPACE. One of them is always a walk on and basically empty while the other is also almost a walk on and never gets long waits except in the busiest of times.

Kman101

There's only so many rides. Of course they'd run at capacity. Add in more rides, maybe better rides, and then we'd see. I don't think Test Track and Mission: Space are all that spectacular, to be honest. Spaceship Earth gets my repeat visits. I can't say the same about the rest. I honestly don't even remember the last time I went on Ellen's Energy Adventure or Figment. People ride them because they're there. And it's not me knocking them, people do love them, but I think Epcot is lacking more than some want to admit. Just because it makes money doesn't mean the park doesn't need a lot of help. I also think Soarin', while fun, doesn't exactly inspire repeat visits. I've ridden it once at Epcot and once at California Adventure. Twice. But again, that's me. People love it. But a lot of the Epcot rides, IMHO, are overrated. And that's not me trying to 'live in the past' with Epcot, but I think the park, again, needs more help and it's really not that far off from the needs of Animal Kingdom and ESPECIALLY DHS needs the help the most. So yes, Epcot ISN'T a priority, but it's another case of the parks being ignored for so long that it's becoming tired. I know Dave and others insist it doesn't, but the park needs help.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm talking about Imagination and Mission: SPACE. One of them is always a walk on and basically empty while the other is also almost a walk on and never gets long waits except in the busiest of times.
No one in their right mind could defend what has happened to the Imagination pavilion, but M:S is doing ok. I think Disney wanted it to be more popular, but the combination of too extreme for a Disney crowd and the lack of a decent post show has been the problem in making it more successful.

Haymarket2008

The x factor will be if a new movie comes with the expansion. A new movie could increase demand (at least temporally) enough to offset the added capacity.

The average Disney guest got bored with them and stopped riding. Epcot needs a people eater that people also want to ride over and over again.

I'm not quite sure that was the cause of their closing. This is another conversation entirely, but in terms of World of Motion it was GM who made the call to make a thrill ride in its' place. And in my opinion "the average Disney guest" is content with Stitch's Great Escape. If Spaceship Earth wasn't housed inside the iconic geosphere and was located somewhere else in the park it probably would have gotten the axe as well. But SSE is a popular attraction to this day, and deservedly so. I think a Horizons/WoM omnimover is exactly what Epcot needs.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm not quite sure that was the cause of their closing. This is another conversation entirely, but in terms of World of Motion it was GM who made the call to make a thrill ride in its' place. And in my opinion "the average Disney guest" is content with Stitch's Great Escape. If Spaceship Earth wasn't housed inside the iconic geosphere and was located somewhere else in the park it probably would have gotten the axe as well. But SSE is a popular attraction to this day, and deservedly so. I think a Horizons/WoM omnimover is exactly what Epcot needs.
You are correct about GM and I believe their desire to change the attraction was due to low numbers. The sad reality is that thrill rides attract a lot more repeat riders than AA heavy masterpieces like WoM and Horizons.

When it comes to SSE, be thankful that the omnimover track is necessary part of the building's structure. Had they been able to put a roller coaster in it that is most likely what would be there now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom