Apple Pay to be available at Walt Disney World by end of the year

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A couple of days after ApplePay was released in late October, the CVS and Rite-Aid chains turned off their contactless payment services that had been previously been in operation. It's too complicated to get into all the details here but it's tied to a consortium of companies that signed onto another platform called CurrentC (not available until some time in 2015) that prevents them from supporting competing platforms. In doing so, they also disable the Google Wallet support they previously had.

You REALLY want to avoid CurrentC because it demands all of your personal information including SSN and it collects and forwards to HQ any health information it finds on your phone.

It also requires you to fund the account with cash (and it has access to your bank account) in short CurrentC is a ID thieves DREAM COME TRUE.

It's also a merchants dream because all liability for fraud has been moved to the user - so when CurrentC is hacked and bank accounts drained, CurrentC can say to it's shareholders 'we are not liable, consumers accepted the risk when they signed up...'

http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/25/currentc/

FutureCEO

Why? The entire CurrentC endeavor is emblematic of the member retailers' views towards the security of their customers' financial information.

Why not? It's simple really. I won't use any method of payment with a phone. I don't do anything personal related that requires a password or anything on a phone. ie....banking, etc.

It does amuse me when I see people with a wallet full of store credit cards and loyalty cards.

lazyboy97o

Why not? It's simple really. I won't use any method of payment with a phone. I don't do anything personal related that requires a password or anything on a phone. ie....banking, etc.

It does amuse me when I see people with a wallet full of store credit cards and loyalty cards.
The attitude of the retailers regarding the information of customers goes beyond those who chose to use contactless payments (which are not limited to just phones and are more secure than mag strips).

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
I'm wanting to move everything I can over to ApplePay specifically because I'm tired of my Debit card getting compromised. I've had to replace it 3 times in 2014 alone because of companies like Home Depot and Target and I'm just tired of it. The fact that ApplePay uses a different number every time and that number expires right after the transaction is a major benefit to me. Even if a merchant has sloppy data protection the number they get is useless. In addition, since it's a different number every time it can't be used to track my purchases which is a secondary benefit.

After having done a whole lot of research on how the whole system and service works, I'm comfortable that it has all the types of protection I'm looking for and will actually be significantly more secure than swiping my debit card.

donsullivan

Premium Member
You REALLY want to avoid CurrentC because it demands all of your personal information including SSN and it collects and forwards to HQ any health information it finds on your phone.

It also requires you to fund the account with cash (and it has access to your bank account) in short CurrentC is a ID thieves DREAM COME TRUE.

It's also a merchants dream because all liability for fraud has been moved to the user - so when CurrentC is hacked and bank accounts drained, CurrentC can say to it's shareholders 'we are not liable, consumers accepted the risk when they signed up...'

http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/25/currentc/

I'm very much aware of what that mess does and nothing in this world will get me to use it. The app will never even be installed on my phone. It's the worst data grab I have ever seen. Not to mention you can't even use a credit card with it. Bottom line, I have a sense as people truly understand it, it will become a non-starter in the marketplace.

wendysue

I have never had a desire or need to own anything made by apple. not so much that I don't like anything they make, I just feel they are over priced and to proprietary.

It's crazy to say they are too expensive... I've had a MacBook for 8 years with NO virus protection software on it and it has always worked great without fail. My sister on the other hand, has gone through 3 laptops with Microsoft products AND virus protection, to no avail.. Give me a mac any day. I don't own a smart phone and have no plans to, so don't care about Apple Pay.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Huh? SSN required? They've already said that's not to be the case when it goes live. You 'fund' your credit cards with cash too... the difference is if you send a check or use ACH.

What you outlined could very well be paypal which most people have tolerated... and as for your fears.. anyone who wants to be a bank like figure requires those exact things (patriot act baby!).

The liability angle is sticky... but that can be addressed (like paypal has).

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm wanting to move everything I can over to ApplePay specifically because I'm tired of my Debit card getting compromised

The #1 question is.. why on earth are you using your debit card for POS transactions. Take that target off your back and avoid that extra hassle and use a real credit card (preferably one that pays you to use it too).

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Huh? SSN required? They've already said that's not to be the case when it goes live. You 'fund' your credit cards with cash too... the difference is if you send a check or use ACH.

What you outlined could very well be paypal which most people have tolerated... and as for your fears.. anyone who wants to be a bank like figure requires those exact things (patriot act baby!).

The liability angle is sticky... but that can be addressed (like paypal has).

Ah yes the SSN - it's not 'required' unless you pay for medical items (prescriptions etc)

It will REQUIRE your SSN as that is the link to the HEALTH information it collects from your smartphone (fitbit users beware). As for funding CurrentC is a ACH transfer system so the merchants can bypass the swipe fees.

It has nothing to do with being a bank and everything to do with swipe fee avoidance and health information collection.

It's also explicitly designed to transfer all fraud risk to the user. That's not a bug its a FEATURE.

Hopefully this thing goes the way of DivX.

NMBC1993

The #1 question is.. why on earth are you using your debit card for POS transactions. Take that target off your back and avoid that extra hassle and use a real credit card (preferably one that pays you to use it too).

I agree 100%! I have no idea why anyone would use a debit card to make POS purchases these days when a credit card allows you to deny fraudulent charges that a person did not make, it really is helpful. To be fair, I think the big reason is that certain people have had it drilled into their heads that if they obtained a credit card "They'll be in SO much debt, they'll never be able to pay it off". There was even one person I talked to who said "credit cards are evil..."

Take it from me @donsullivan , that's not the case. As long as you keep an eye on your balance, do NOT borrow more than you have in the bank, you'll be fine. It's these people who run out an immediately buy an over expensive TV system or car who run into credit card traps.

Also, like flynnibus said, there are many credit cards who pay YOU to use them. For example thanks to my current card, I use my points to pay for my Manga obsession....very helpful on my budget indeed.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'm interested to see whether the POS system will accept Canadian "wave-to-pay" cards. We've had RFID credit and debit cards here for a few years now [all with the 'wifi'-looking symbol that the Disney POS terminals have]. I assume since I can use the credit cards in swipe mode, they'll work in RFID mode as well, but you folks in the US aren't always logical... ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
It has nothing to do with being a bank and everything to do with swipe fee avoidance and health information collection.

My point was your two 'gotchas' of needing to provide a SSN and fund with cash.. is exactly what every bank does :) I know they aren't trying to be a bank... but you act like someone just reached into your chest and just pulled out your soul by having those requirements.

I don't know why people have all this hard on about health info your stupid phone is gathering. If it freaks you out, TURN IT OFF. A stupid fad that will die out eventually on its own.

And besides... the whole notion is kind of dumb anyways. Who makes the money with Credit Cards? BANKS TOO.. so if you try to bypass credit cards enmass with ACH... whos to say ACH stays free to use?? Just a never ending cat and mouse...

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
why would someone at WDW get their phone out of their pocket to pay with when they could use the band on their wrist? What am I missing here other than people pee their pants for anything apple? :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom