AVATAR land construction progress

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
as our friend @danlb_2000 always says....this should go up fairly quickly now they re are on to vertical construction and then slow down again when details begin to emerge...hope to see big changes by the time I visit in early June
Yes, steel work goes very fast for the most part but the devil is in the details and there should be a lot of them with this build.

flyerjab

One thing that I am extremely curious about is the natural aspect of this project. The main point of this expansion is to make you feel immersed in the rain-foresty world of Pandora. Since the entire area has been bulldozed and cleared out, a large component of this construction project at some point will include the addition of a HUGE amount of trees/plants/grasses/bushes/etc. - of both the real and AA varieties. I am still trying to figure out how imagineering is accomplishing this so that it appears lush and fully grown by the time this expansion opens. Maybe it won't and will take the slow passage of time to achieve that type of overgrown forest appearance.

The other thing I wonder is the bioluminescence and reactivity of some of the Pandora flora. I recently watched the movie again, specifically the portions that introduce you to the flora and fauna of Pandora. If WDI really goes for it here, I would imagine that it will take a lot of energy to power this expansion. I mean a large percentage of the foliage illuminates at night, including the ground where people are walking. There are also numerous plants that respond to touch (and I am assuming that WDI will be attempting to ape that activity as well to really work on the immersion factor). This is potentially a very different and difficult overall effect to achieve and I can only imagine the type of wiring/programming/etc. it will take to pull this off. If they do though, as I have stated previously this should pretty much blow every other Orlando park - and not just WDW parks - out of the water in terms of immersion and uniqueness.

Slowly ticking off the days...

brittanyyyy

Just left WDW 12/22 and noticed the entire lake area in Asia is blocked off for construction... perhaps the water ride they have mentioned will have outdoor elements rather than an entirely inside attraction a la PoTC.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
One thing that I am extremely curious about is the natural aspect of this project. The main point of this expansion is to make you feel immersed in the rain-foresty world of Pandora. Since the entire area has been bulldozed and cleared out, a large component of this construction project at some point will include the addition of a HUGE amount of trees/plants/grasses/bushes/etc. - of both the real and AA varieties. I am still trying to figure out how imagineering is accomplishing this so that it appears lush and fully grown by the time this expansion opens. Maybe it won't and will take the slow passage of time to achieve that type of overgrown forest appearance.

The other thing I wonder is the bioluminescence and reactivity of some of the Pandora flora. I recently watched the movie again, specifically the portions that introduce you to the flora and fauna of Pandora. If WDI really goes for it here, I would imagine that it will take a lot of energy to power this expansion. I mean a large percentage of the foliage illuminates at night, including the ground where people are walking. There are also numerous plants that respond to touch (and I am assuming that WDI will be attempting to ape that activity as well to really work on the immersion factor). This is potentially a very different and difficult overall effect to achieve and I can only imagine the type of wiring/programming/etc. it will take to pull this off. If they do though, as I have stated previously this should pretty much blow every other Orlando park - and not just WDW parks - out of the water in terms of immersion and uniqueness.

I think to get it to look like Pandora they are going to need to do a lot or artificial plants mixed in with some real tropical plants. Since it was announced three years ago and plants won't start going in for at least another year they have had some time start growing some of what they will need.

doctornick

I think to get it to look like Pandora they are going to need to do a lot or artificial plants mixed in with some real tropical plants. Since it was announced three years ago and plants won't start going in for at least another year they have had some time start growing some of what they will need.

Yeah, I'm picturing that most of the foliage will be fake. With a lot of "real" plants, it would have trouble resembling Pandora effectively.

flyerjab

Yeah, I'm picturing that most of the foliage will be fake. With a lot of "real" plants, it would have trouble resembling Pandora effectively.

With the size of this expansion, that would be a ton of fake foliage. There has to be an appreciable amount of real foliage to help balance that out to some degree. That to me is the real interesting part of this build. How is the immersive environment of Pandora going to be recreated? That, and the floating mountains, are what I am really interested in seeing. Also because the forest should also play a key role in how impressive the boat ride will ultimately be.

RSoxNo1

With the size of this expansion, that would be a ton of fake foliage. There has to be an appreciable amount of real foliage to help balance that out to some degree. That to me is the real interesting part of this build. How is the immersive environment of Pandora going to be recreated? That, and the floating mountains, are what I am really interested in seeing. Also because the forest should also play a key role in how impressive the boat ride will ultimately be.
I would expect the greatest concentration of fake foliage to be in the boat ride.

flyerjab

I would expect the greatest concentration of fake foliage to be in the boat ride.

I am also betting on some being on the walking paths as well. If they are working towards a feeling of full on immersion they will have to. Looking at the concept art it is noticeable that the walking areas depicted are not heavily covered in foliage.

kap91

Well they managed to get AK at opening day to look fully grown in and it was largely just a cow pasture before they started building. So I imagine they have the ability at least.

Last edited:

RMichael21

Just left WDW 12/22 and noticed the entire lake area in Asia is blocked off for construction... perhaps the water ride they have mentioned will have outdoor elements rather than an entirely inside attraction a la PoTC.
As @IDInstitute said, I think you're thinking off the Rivers of Light seating. AVATAR Land is set to have a boat ride, and there are rumors of an outdoor portion, but it's all just speculation. :)

DisneyCane

You can buy mature trees from a nursery. They are just more expensive than smaller trees. When they did AK, they bought out the entire inventory of a nursery somewhere.

twebber55

Surprised a photo hasn't popped up yet.
B6h_L0xIMAAlY_1.jpg

saw this on twitter

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom