The Spirited Back Nine ...

AEfx

This all assumes that the hackers will keep their word and can be negotiated with.

True, but would people be so willing to take that chance if it was your information they had and your family that was specifically threatened?

It's easy to say other people should take that chance, and not "cave" - but far different when one thinks about it being their family.

lazyboy97o

True, but would people be so willing to take that chance if it was your information they had and your family that was specifically threatened?

It's easy to say other people should take that chance, and not "cave" - but far different when one thinks about it being their family.
You're still assuming that a blackmailer would have one set of demands and stop once that initial set of demands is met. There is no basis for that assumption. Meeting the demands just shows your willingness to act as told, and therefore new demands can be added. Do the "Guardians of Peace" now get perpetual approval over all of Sony Pictures' films? Why not? They'll still have that information and still be able to release it if desired.

Cody5294

Big Hero 6 is most likely going to pass Tangled. A princess movie... How can it's performance be a disappointment? There goes its hopes for a sequel

Cody5294

On the other hand I did think Big Hero 6 was going to be make at least $230 mill due to strong critical reviews and weak competition. Frozen did a better job appealing to both boys and girls

AEfx

You're still assuming that a blackmailer would have one set of demands and stop once that initial set of demands is met. There is no basis for that assumption. Meeting the demands just shows your willingness to act as told, and therefore new demands can be added. Do the "Guardians of Peace" now get perpetual approval over all of Sony Pictures' films? Why not? They'll still have that information and still be able to release it if desired.

I'm not assuming anything.

There is no simple, or even good answer to any of this.

However, I'm illustrating the point that the people that have this chip on their shoulder about this wouldn't have acted any different if they were sitting at their computer at work and threats to their family came through their company email, from the same folks who seem to have perpetrated the biggest cyber crime we have ever seen and someone who helped perpetrate it was in the same building at some point they are sitting in now.

It's very easy to say they should have not "caved" - when it's someone else who's family being threatened and not their own.

It's easy to claim you would on some message board on the Internet (though I don't believe anyone has said "yes I would not have backed down!" yet) - but when faced with this situation in reality? Even if it's just a remote chance? I have no doubt they would have made the same decision.

lazyboy97o

I'm not assuming anything.

There is no simple, or even good answer to any of this.

However, I'm illustrating the point that the people that have this chip on their shoulder about this wouldn't have acted any different if they were sitting at their computer at work and threats to their family came through their company email, from the same folks who seem to have perpetrated the biggest cyber crime we have ever seen and someone who helped perpetrate it was in the same building at some point they are sitting in now.

It's very easy to say they should have not "caved" - when it's someone else who's family being threatened and not their own.

It's easy to claim you would on some message board on the Internet (though I don't believe anyone has said "yes I would not have backed down!" yet) - but when faced with this situation in reality? Even if it's just a remote chance? I have no doubt they would have made the same decision.
Why meet demands of a blackmailer if there is no assumption that the demands will stop? North Korea making violent threats is nothing new. Nor have they shown the ability to project force into the United States, which again is a state with which they are at war. Yes, we like to portray North Korea as crazy but they rattle their sabers for specific reasons, typically to get food. Attacking US civilians stateside would be shooting themselves.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm a little behind on this story. I heard about the threat to attack movie theaters that ran this movie. What's the story with threats of physical attacks against individual people and their families? I hadn't heard that part of the story.

lazyboy97o

I'm a little behind on this story. I heard about the threat to attack movie theaters that ran this movie. What's the story with threats of physical attacks against individual people and their families? I hadn't heard that part of the story.
Employees received an email telling them to respond and disavow Sony or their families would be in danger. This set of threats was actually before the recent threats/demands regarding The Interview. So every employee who decided to stay on the job and not contact the "Guardians of Peace" had decided that meeting their demands was not a fruitful endeavor.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Employees received an email telling them to respond and disavow Sony or their families would be in danger. This set of threats was actually before the recent threats/demands regarding The Interview. So every employee who decided to stay on the job and not contact the "Guardians of Peace" had decided that meeting their demands was not a fruitful endeavor.
What exactly would they be in danger from? Physical harm (like the blowing up theaters threat) or just some hackers going after their personal information and trying to make it public. Did they have to quit their jobs to disavow Sony or just say they disavowed the company? If they just wanted a statement from me I'd probably comply just in case. If they wanted me to quit my job thats a whole different story.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This sets a terrible precedent for some mindless group of losers to make demands thinking they'll get what they want by hacking.

Are people really that oblivious to how much this blackmail by hacking has been going on for so long? It's been going on like this for ages now... the difference is it's typically $$$ motivated with cash .. and more tied to organized crime than it was when things started out as personal missions of revenge or 'retirement'.

lazyboy97o

What exactly would they be in danger from? Physical harm (like the blowing up theaters threat) or just some hackers going after their personal information and trying to make it public. Did they have to quit their jobs to disavow Sony or just say they disavowed the company? If they just wanted a statement from me I'd probably comply just in case. If they wanted me to quit my job thats a whole different story.
No specifics. Just that failure to comply would put their family in danger.

PhotoDave219

Are people really that oblivious to how much this blackmail by hacking has been going on for so long? It's been going on like this for ages now... the difference is it's typically $$$ motivated with cash .. and more tied to organized crime than it was when things started out as personal missions of revenge or 'retirement'.

Honestly? Yes. Because it's kept insanely quiet.

The more and more I see about hacking and what's being hacked into, it makes me really want to live off the grid.

The craziest part I think about these texts? People getting system admin credentials through a phishing email… if the end-users would realize that they should never ever never ever ever give out sensitive information to some nameless, faceless email.

We can have the best security in the world and we would still be up a creek because Jean in accounting over there fell for the oldest scam in the book.

misterID

Again, you haven't followed this very closely. I'm not bent out of shape, but some of the actors/directors/producers etc. that were called "untalented", wastes of money, etc. are - if you think that is "gossip and water cooler chatter" you know nothing about Hollywood and deal making. To think it will have no impact is foolish.

And if you don't understand the difference between a private citizen's privately owned cell phone vs. corporate email, on corporate equipment, on corporate time - again, you don't know what you are talking about. You also can't selectively choose to believe the FBI on some things or others - they say they know who did it, the White House did as well - I'm going with them, for now. Sorry.

But I'm not going to argue back and forth with you, as you completely ignored the key question I asked you - as I thought you would. When people are grandstanding like they are on this issue, they don't want to look at the realities that the very real employees at Sony faced.

If you worked for Sony, and someone had all your personal information, the names of your children, your home address, social security number, medical records, access to untold amounts of your personal data, the US Government says that a foreign country is responsible, and they make SPECIFIC threats to your family and their safety multiple times - would YOU be so quick to put your family - and thousands of other employees families - at risk to put this garbage movie "on demand"?
I answered everything you asked, you just didn't like my answers. If I hacked this site and started snooping through PMs and I found something juicy on Spirit or Steve and I tried to blackmail them with it, it makes no difference if it's on a public site, corporate site or private site. It's the same exact thing.

Let's say I have some connection with Scott Rudin. If you knew ANYTHING about what you're talking about you'd know that was probably the most PC and diplomatic thing he's been caught saying. People's reaction was pretty funny that that's all he was caught saying. Pascal is beloved. It means nothing. Kevin Hart,imo, is overrated and will prostitute himself to anything to improve his "brand". That's true. If I hear that stupid EA rap for Madden again I'll jump out a window. People hate making Adam Sandler films. News flash, that's a running joke in the industry because it's TRUE. You want to get over a "scandal" like this? Do what they always do.... Wait it out.

You keep calling it a garbage movie. You don't know that, and it doesn't matter. If they have all of that information on me I would be very proactive right now in trying to get it taken care of which I'm sure they are. Sony needs to be more proactive fixing their security breaches. I would not back down. More than likely they're going to mess with my information anyway. And North Korea always makes threats like this. I'm sorry, I don't believe they have a nest of ninjas here waiting to blowup movie theaters. And I'm sure there are things they aren't telling anyone about the measures they're using to help protect these people.

Last edited:

misterID

No. This isn't the same thing. Yes, this goes on. Not on this size or this brazenly. They aren't hacking to make money. This, imo, is cyberterrorism, and it's likely to continue with it's success.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

That is the key right there, Once you comply with demand A, demand B will be forthcoming, It's like the schoolyard bullies the only fix is to punch them in the nose immediately. As a 'nerd' in school I learned that lesson long ago, only then will the bullies leave you alone.

jbolen2

Gosh, that is funny! Would you be calling out your private army to crush the person(s)? Is your middle name Rambo? Just exactly what do you think you would do to them? Really! I'm curious.

Very nice tough talk though.
It would just depend on the extent they went through to carry out there "threat" but if it got to the point of calling on a small army to counter an attack then so be it.

Smiddimizer

It would just depend on the extent they went through to carry out there "threat" but if it got to the point of calling on a small army to counter an attack then so be it.

01.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom