The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Heck, you had it easy! My poor parents had to put up with me making noise around 3:00 AM downstairs :joyfull:, and would drag me up to bed and tell me not to wake them up again for a few more hours! :rolleyes:

Yeah it wasn't fun. Because I worked and traveled when my kids were small, had also gone back to school to pull some extra licences we were often wrapping at night after they went to sleep. Staying up wasn't bad, getting up before the sun just couldn't happen. So manipulating Santa's rules it wasn't allowed to be opened until 8am. As my DD grasped Christmas we could hear DS wake DD and the two of them would grab juice boxes and cereal and wait and wait. It took supervision though 'cause we had a girl Golden then who could pick out Pup presents and she would steal them. We had to block her all night so she couldn't go into the Living Room. She was harder to train than the kids. Good times.

Gabe1

Jet Blue is offering a coat check for $2.00 Check it in and pick it up when you fly back home.

Gabe1

We have an old farm house, so we have a flat roof porch on the front and a 2nd story walkout from the master bedroom onto a flat roof in the back of the house. I can take a step ladder on those flat roofs to get at the gutters on the second story. Then I just have to use the long extension ladders to hit the other 2 sides from the ground. Our house still has a cistern in the basement and the downspout plumbing is still in place (but disconnected). We could make the cistern fully functionable in about 10 minutes - it even has an electric pump in place to pump water out of it. The only bad thing about that is that there is only one downspout that runs from the entire 2nd story roof. If that gets clogged, the gutters overflow...

My folks have a couple flat roofs too. Those I will get up on and I also need to reach the main house gutters where the additions attach with the almost flat roofs, they do have a very slight pitch. I use to suntan when I was young on the one in the backyard.

We too have a cistern system that is too fully functionable but my DH has disconnect. It does have an ejector pit that shoots water all the way to the front ditches. He put out gutters on the lawn because it became problematic with clogs that needed a plumber to maintain. The ejector pit is also hooked to the drain tiles so it does keep huge rains away from the house.

Our garage set way back is ill-conceived. Property pitches down so when there is lots of rain it floods in front of the garage of course where the service door and garage door is. The property to our west is pitched back there to our garage. I put a veggie garden there and over the years with adding dirt and mulch I've raise the grade high enough that water can't flow through the side of the garage, it runs to the back of the properties on the easement where it doesn't cause damage. Whoever decided to build that garage back there lacked brain cells.

Gabe1

We have an old farm house.

I love that you have an old farm house. My DD got such a kick out of you on your tractor. While this area is old, as is our home, in a small town we are zoned residential so we could not have full tractors or Horses.

I would have loved to have been able to stable horses here while my kids were growing up. :happy: Even growing up my horse had to be stabled on my Dads friends farm. It would have been nice if he was close. To rent stable/feed around here is way too expensive.

Gabe1

Almost time for some football. Ha! Our quarterback benched after the season is all but over. o_O At least it will be a different spin on the sad season. :facepalm:

Gabe1

Reports are Super Saturday shopping brought out more shoppers than Black Friday. Could be because of splitting shoppers between Black Friday and Black Thanksgiving Day.

If retailers thought that through and looked at the down sales on Friday they'd realize they doubled their staffing costs for the same same sales results. Big Picture being missed.

Goofyernmost

I was watching It's a Wonderful Life and only caught the ending so I was confuse what was going on.
Ok, here it is...
1. George saves his brothers life when he falls through the ice on a pond. He, however, ends up deaf in one ear because of it.
2. George grows up and saves his money to travel the world, that is his dream.
3. His father is taken ill and he must take over the Savings and Loan to stop the evil Mr. Potter from taking it over and gouging the customers.
4. George marries the girl of his dreams.
5. As he is getting ready to go with her on his world tour, the depression happens and there is a run on the banks.
6. George saves the savings and loan by using his own money to stave off that panic and keep the bank in operation basically making it through.
7. World War II happens and George, because of his ear, is not drafted, instead he stays home and work for the war effort while operating the S&L. He manages to help people get their first houses and form a community in Bedford Falls.
8. All is going well for them and, by now, has a boatload of children, one of which is oddly named Zuzu, that is an indication that something bad is about to happen, and it does.
9. Georges Uncle Billy works at the S&L and is given the job of depositing the days receipts in Mr. Potters bank. (since they are a savings and loan I never understood why he had to put the money someplace else, but it did help the story) anyway, his Uncle Billy goes to the bank and spends so much time bragging about his nephew, the war hero, that he manages to lose the deposit.
10. Potter finds it and decides that he can take over the S&L by offering George a job with him since he had reported to the Banking committee that the S&L was short cash. (due of course to the lost money)
11. As everything is falling down around him George is depressed and drinking. Then goes home and proceeds to be mean to everyone including his wife and kids.
12. When his wife stops him he runs out the door and into the snow storm.
13. George runs his car into a tree that is near the bridge over the local river. He stands at the railing contemplating jumping over the rail and killing himself.
14. Through out this entire story there is an angel that hasn't yet gotten his wings. He is given the history and sent down to earth to see if he can save George from himself and thus earn his wings.
15. Seeing that George is about to end it all, Clarence (that's the angel) jumps into the river so that George will save him.
16 He, of course does save him, and in the process of drying off tells Clarence the he wished he had never been born.
17. That gave Clarence an idea, so he does whatever brand of voodoo that angels do and wipes all of Georges life away.
18. George then goes out and in the process discovers all the things that he did good in his life. He sees that many people died because his brother wasn't there to save them. (remember he was the one that fell through the ice in the beginning) Without George there he drowned. His wife was a spinster, no kids existed. His mother didn't know him. His friends didn't know him. The S&L was taken over by Potter. None of the people that he helped were able to own their own homes because George wasn't there to help them. In other words all the good he did, did not happen because George didn't exist.
19. He goes out and finds Clarence and begs him to bring him his life back because he has learned his lesson.
20. George then goes running back home and find out that his wife having found out what happened at the S&L (remember the S&L?) has rallied all the people that George had helped in his lifetime and they collected money and gave it to George so that his books would balance and all would be saved.
21. As he holds Zuzu up to the tree a decorative bell rings and she says. "Teacher says that whenever a bell rings an angel gets his wings." George agrees and winks knowing that Clarence now has his wings. And says... Way to go, Clarence! The end... along with a rousing rendition of Auld Lang Syne! Fade out... roll credits.

I may have left out a number of details there, but, that is it in a nutshell. I might even have confused the sequence (it's been a while since I watched the movie), but the just of it is there. All that is good prevailed and everyone lived happily ever after.

Last edited:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Heck, you had it easy! My poor parents had to put up with me making noise around 3:00 AM downstairs :joyfull:, and would drag me up to bed and tell me not to wake them up again for a few more hours! :rolleyes:
My parents just gave in.
The four of us would start at 3:00. They would stall us until 4:00-4:30, and then finally relent.
The tree would be done, the bulk of the mess cleaned up, a pound of chocolate eaten, the turkey in the oven, and everyone having "naps" by 10:00.
Fast forward a quarter century, and we used to have to drag our own kids out of bed by 9:00 ... even when they were little and still believed.

Cesar R M

I'm not overly concerned about it yet. I recently started using a medication that is notorious for causing dry mouth. I'm thinking that is what is waking me up because the first thing I have to do when I do wake up is get my cheeks (face) and lips to unstick and quickly get some water so I can swallow again. It is supposed to be a short term thing so I am hopeful that once I stop that med. things will return to normal. Then all I will have to deal with is the old mans dilemma of having to get up to go to the bathroom.:joyfull:
Funny, because I get that only when I snore at night. Which is very rarely. :O

donaldtoo

I really like your dad a lot, and I haven't even met him! :happy: I'd say that you have also emulated many of your father's good traits, yourself, there kiddo! :D :p

Thanks! So very kind of you. :) I may have been fortunate enough to acquire a few of those traits, here and there. ;)
Both my folks are a hoot, actually. I'd be happy to be half as active and cool when I'm their age...! :)

donaldtoo

I just love happy retro pictures like this!

Here's another kinda' cute one... :)

a1905017f9a687200c0baa713665ba55.jpg

donaldtoo

I agree with that and although I am not ancient, I can tell the difference at (almost) 67 years old. I do force myself to stay active. In spite of having had a knee injury a few years ago (when ironically I fell down some stairs), I still walk without a limp and am able to do just about everything I used to do. I draw the line at going up on any roof though. I don't have that much to prove to myself. I'm still upright and taking nourishment and that is good enough for me. And to throw yet another cliche in there... I'm still on the upper side of the lawn. :happy:

Sounds like you're doin' pretty well yourself, then. Good to hear. And yes, usually, always good to be on the upper side of the lawn. :)
Again, not trying to be argumentative at all, just continuing the discussion.
Pop is not crotchety, cantankerous, ornery, combative, etc. He just seems to be doin' what he's always done. Nothing to prove. At least, not outwardly, anyway. Just goin' about his usual business.
Now, I'm also aware that could all turn on a dime, just as soon as we start suggesting he may wanna' dial things back a bit. Only time will tell...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom