I almost cancelled... Would You? (WDW vs. UO)

heath.sneyd

Original Poster
I'm a huge movie fan. Almost twelve years ago, the last time I was at WDW, we barely spent any time in "MGM" and I was super steamed. Before I started doing my planning for my first trip back to Disney since 2003, I was really looking forward to DHS and what all it had to offer... Until I realized that half of it is either gone, or so stagnant that everybody hates it. It's just not the park I remembered from the past, and not looking to be what I expected.

With that said, I've been to Universal twice since 2003, and loved every minute of it (even the ones from my 21st birthday that I can't remember). Now with the new Cabana Bay hotel, all the Harry Potter expansions in the two parks, and the RRR coaster, I almost cancelled everything Disney and started booking Universal, and thought I'd plan Disney again when we had kids.

If you were a couple, 29 & 24, going for the last vacation before a wedding, kids, etc., and you love movies & music, what would you have done?

Foolish Mortal

I'd still plan at least a day at the Studios. It would be like seeing an old friend. You may also end up actually having a better time than expected. How can you not have a good day at the Studios if you catch Officer Peabody and Evie Starlight ?

BigTxEars

We spent a week at Uni (Hard Rock) in 2013, we love the parks but a week is too long there for us. Just not enough to do and not as immersive a resort for us compared to WDW. A week at WDW flys by for us as a family, the week at Uni did not and we were all ready to leave at the end.

I think 3 days is enough to see both Uni parks to their full enjoyment. I would recommend anybody go to Uni to enjoy the parks as they are just great but I would not give up too much WDW for them.

Tom

Beta Return
My wife and I are late 20s, early 30s, respectively. We took a grand vacation in Feb/Mar, as our last hurrah before we started a family 9 months later.

We took a 3-night Disney cruise, then 5 nights on property, in DVC accommodations. We don't care much for Animal Kingdom, so we didn't visit it at all. And we didn't spend a ton of time in MGM, for the reasons you mentioned.

But we had a great time, and can't wait to take our new little boy.

MissingDisney

Not everything has to be a Uni vs. Dis debate. If youre a huge movie buff, go to where the real action is....Cali. Head to Hollywood, take the tours, see the sights, visit the studios, do some helitours, movie museums, etc. and if you still want the Disney/Uni debate, you can visit them both there! Do the stuff you can't do with baby in tow. Enjoy being diaper bag, stroller, schedule, bottle, sippy cup, puke, free! Not that all of those things are bad!

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Disney and Universal are 2 totally different parks, both just as good in their own way and it KOA's me some year passing it knowing I'm not going to get over there. Everyone I'm with is so stuck in that mentality that nothing compares to Disney and Universal isn't worth the trip. Im not into Harry Potter world but I am totally down to hit a few rides then chill out in city walk. Although I can get all I want out of Universal in a day between both parks.

Much-Pixie-Dust

Given what you have said, I would go to UO and stay on property there while you go. 2-3 days max should allow to enough time to experience everything. Another great place, is Discovery Cove. I see this is a proposal trip for you. DC is a wonderful place with a lot of unique experiences for a special trip such as a proposal. Plus you get a 2 week free pass to go to Sea World, either before or after you visit DC. I know that wasn't part of your question, but just thought I would throw it in. Have a super trip whatever you decide to do.

R W B

Not everything has to be a Uni vs. Dis debate. If youre a huge movie buff, go to where the real action is....Cali. Head to Hollywood, take the tours, see the sights, visit the studios, do some helitours, movie museums, etc. and if you still want the Disney/Uni debate, you can visit them both there! Do the stuff you can't do with baby in tow. Enjoy being diaper bag, stroller, schedule, bottle, sippy cup, puke, free! Not that all of those things are bad!
The real movie action is actually in Louisiana. We actually filmed/produced more movies here then California in 2013 and this year too.

FettFan

I say to hell with marriage and kids! Keep your life YOURS!

The real movie action is actually in Louisiana. We actually filmed/produced more movies here then California in 2013 and this year too.

Yeah, but none of our studios offer tours as far as I'm aware.

Also, outside of New Orleans, there's not much for tourists to do.

R W B

Yeah, but none of our studios offer tours as far as I'm aware.

Also, outside of New Orleans, there's not much for tourists to do.
Nah I don't think they do offer tours yet.

Also, I live in New Orleans and am about as much of a city guy as you can be but theirs still a lot to do in south louisiana outside of New Orleans itself. Not as much as SoCal or Orlando but still a good bit.

FettFan

Nah I don't think they do offer tours yet.

Also, I live in New Orleans and am about as much of a city guy as you can be but theirs still a lot to do in south louisiana outside of New Orleans itself. Not as much as SoCal or Orlando but still a good bit.

Speaking as a Baton resident....if you aren't here for an LSU game, and aren't here to shop, there's nothing much here to offer anyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom