Spiderman negotiations could bring him back under the creative direction of Marvel.

Sped2424

Original Poster
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/10/more-on-the-sonymarvelspider-man-situation
So it was leaked sometime ago that email exchanges between marvel and sony executives took place about the fate of spiderman. It's a well known fact that the new spidey films haven't been able to hit their mark. The sequel underperforming to sony's expectations both in quality and gross. It's why the third film got pushed back from 2016 to 2018. But I digress, during the email exchanges offers were being made to have spidey come back to the marvel umbrella of franchises. With spiderman possibly first appearing in the civil war storyline for captain america 3. Sadly those talks fell through BUT it seems like all hope isn't lost

"For starters, LR’s Da7e says his source indicates that the deal Sony ultimately rejected was not a Marvel trilogy of Spider-Man movies that Sony would control. While that was mentioned in The Wall Street Journal’s story last night, what Sony finally passed on was instead a co-production arrangement where Marvel and Sony would split Spidey movie costs 60/40 (Marvel paying the 60%). Yes, Marvel would’ve shouldered more cost, but they also would’ve regained creative control over the character and films. This scenario sounds much more like the kind of deal Marvel’s Kevin Feige would be interested in.

That said, LR’s sources also indicate that Sony Pictures’ parent company is none too pleased about the current situation at the studio and the internal communications and even movies that have leaked out. Additionally, they view “Sony Pictures’s handling of the Spider-Man property as disappointing. … Sony Japan thinks the Marvel deal for Spider-Man is still on the table and they want to renegotiate as a return to quality.” The sources also say that “the 60/40 split” can be negotiated and “Sony Entertainment’s October hard-line stance of wanting creative control is now mostly moot in the eyes of the higher-ups.”

I for one would love to see spiderman back under Marvel again. The character just has too much history with the avengers and other characters just to be secluded in increasingly mediocre films from Sony. And it seems part of the company feels the same way.

doctornick

I would love to see Spider-Man be a part of the MCU. Although I think he works as a solo guy, there is a certain gravitas that is generated by having a character be part of a greater whole. As a fan, I don't give a crap who makes the profits, I just care to see the best movies and having Spidey as part of the MCU would enhance both his solo movies and the MCU.

I'd like to see the Fantastic Four revert to the MCU for the same reason -- they would be a complimentary addition to the MCU (and I think the characters would be given the portrayal they deserve) plus it would bring in a whole array of great villains/other characters like Dr. Doom, Galactus, the Silver Surfer, Super-Skrull, etc.

I'm not that bothered by the X-Men and mutants remaining separate. Their movies can work well in their own universe and Fox has been doing okay with those movies at least.

Sped2424

Original Poster
I would love to see Spider-Man be a part of the MCU. Although I think he works as a solo guy, there is a certain gravitas that is generated by having a character be part of a greater whole. As a fan, I don't give a **** who makes the profits, I just care to see the best movies and having Spidey as part of the MCU would enhance both his solo movies and the MCU.

I'd like to see the Fantastic Four revert to the MCU for the same reason -- they would be a complimentary addition to the MCU (and I think the characters would be given the portrayal they deserve) plus it would bring in a whole array of great villains/other characters like Dr. Doom, Galactus, the Silver Surfer, Super-Skrull, etc.

I'm not that bothered by the X-Men and mutants remaining separate. Their movies can work well in their own universe and Fox has been doing okay with those movies at least.
Agreed with xmen. Sadly the new spidey trilogy has yet to click with me and clearly a lot of people. The new report is that Spidey talks are continuing and he could be included in cap 3 civil war. It also mentioned that Andrew Garfield wouldn't be returning as marvel wouldn't want to pay for him. They want a clean slate. Which is a shame cause I actually liked andrew garfield for the role.

erasure fan1

It also mentioned that Andrew Garfield wouldn't be returning as marvel wouldn't want to pay for him. They want a clean slate. Which is a shame cause I actually liked andrew garfield for the role.
Yea I LOVED Garfield as Peter, he was the best part of the movies. It would be a shame if they didn't get him. Of course I have no real faith that Sony is smart enough to let it happen anyway, so I am not holding my breath.

Matt_Black

I wasn't as enamored with Amazing Spider-Man as some people were. Overall, it felt like it was trying too hard to hit the same emotional beats that Raimi's films did. I did like how they handled Flash Thompson, however. Nice touch as opposed to just making him the jock bully in the first act who promptly gets forgotten about during the rest of the movie.

erasure fan1

I wasn't as enamored with Amazing Spider-Man as some people were. Overall, it felt like it was trying too hard to hit the same emotional beats that Raimi's films did. I did like how they handled Flash Thompson, however. Nice touch as opposed to just making him the jock bully in the first act who promptly gets forgotten about during the rest of the movie.
I agree. I also thought they did a much better job of capturing the personality of Peter Parker in the new movies. Toby did a great job but Garfield was excellent. If Sony didn't have to re-boot so quickly, I think the new movies would have been better for me. It was just way to soon for a re-boot.

Matt_Black

Toby did a great job but Garfield was excellent.

While I think Garfield captured the wise-cracking aspect of Peter better, Toby nailed the nebbishy part of Peter. Peter Parker is NOT some cool outcast skater. He's a full out nerd in a sweater vest, probably with a 20-sided dice in his pocket.

Sped2424

Original Poster
While I think Garfield captured the wise-cracking aspect of Peter better, Toby nailed the nebbishy part of Peter. Peter Parker is NOT some cool outcast skater. He's a full out nerd in a sweater vest, probably with a 20-sided dice in his pocket.
garfield can be those things. I just think the writing needs to be in a better place. I am PRAYING spidey comes back to marvel and plays a part in the civil war.

Matt_Black

We're never gonna get to see Venom in a movie are we? :(
(And no, SM3 doesn't count. That was rubbish...not Venom).

Eh. Not a big loss. Venom's deal has gotten so confusing the past 15 years or so that I don't even care anymore. First he was Eddie Brock, then he was the Scorpion, now it's Flash Thompson.... It's a mess.

Personally, my dream Spidey movie is an adaptation of "Kraven's Last Hunt", but, of course, we'd need Kraven to have a first hunt.

Sped2424

Original Poster
More news from the sony leak about them seriously considering this deal even more so. It seems like Garfield is indeed out as spidey. Not to mention if they do take marvel up on the deal which given this problem and the sinister six plot leak it seems they would solve their spidey issue. But that would mean their "spidey" universe plan would be effectively nothing more than a pipe dream. No female lead spiderwoman film, no sinister six, no carnage or venom films. I have a feeling they are going to sign that deal with marvel and soon.

Matt_Black

First- I thought Spider-Woman was never part of the Spidey license. Second- GOOD, as some of their rumored projects sounded beyond stupid. An Aunt May film. Really? What's it going to be about, how she came up with here wheatcakes recipe? Heck, a J. Jonah Jameson stand alone movie would be more interesting, given his back story as a friend to the Civil Rights movement.

NMBC1993

As someone who did see the SLIGHTEST potential in TASM2 (mainly in Garfield's rendition as Spider-Man) I really feel for Sony on this one. The problem for them is they have no Kevin Feige or Bryan Singer who understands how to create these films into a lasting franchise. Sony relies on the fanboys to give them guidance (case in point Venom in SM3 and making the characters feel more "like they are in the comic book" in TASM2) and just throws everything at the screen in hopes that it is accepted by audiences.

What they should have done (and could still do since Spider-Man is still in the roster) is slowly introduce characters, create an origin story for a villain in one film while setting up hints and clues that the audience has to follow in order to understand the next several films. They sort of did that with BJ Novak's character but to me that felt more of a (hey look, it's that character...aren't you excited sweaty fanboys?) Then the final payoff would be the sinister six movie. Once all the villains have had a proper origin, they'll feel more natural and not just shoehorned in like poor Paul Giamatti as the Rhino.

Matt_Black

So let me get this straight: This whole Rhino buildup at the conclusion of ASM2, Harry Osborne now being the Goblin, the brief image of a Doc Ock suit, the mysterious "Felicia" (a.k.a. Black Cat reference) girl who works for Harry at Oscorp...all of that is now flushed down the toilet?

God willing. I think history has shown that trying to cram in 3 or more villains into a superhero movie is a recipe for suck. Batman & Robin, Spider-Man 3, X-Men 3, etc.

Matt_Black

I'll hand you that. But I am still a little heartbroken over the loss of the Aunt May spinoff. (I heard it was going to include a wicked recipe for classic cherries jubilee). :hungry:

Wheatcakes, man. It's all about the wheatcakes. The Aunt May thing reminds me of an April Fool's gag in Wizard Magazine years and years ago, way before Marvel Studios was a thing. In their news section, they reported about a Jarvis movie, how he went to butler school and all that. At the time, it was so ludicrous it was funny (though a buddy STILL fell for it).

matt78

Agreed with xmen. Sadly the new spidey trilogy has yet to click with me and clearly a lot of people. The new report is that Spidey talks are continuing and he could be included in cap 3 civil war. It also mentioned that Andrew Garfield wouldn't be returning as marvel wouldn't want to pay for him. They want a clean slate. Which is a shame cause I actually liked andrew garfield for the role.

I heard that if Marvel recasts Spider-Man that they would find Garfield a different role in a future film. I heard the biggest problem with the Spider-Man movies is the the Sony executives kept interfering. They were the ones that wanted Venom thrown into Spider-Man 3. If they want to still go it alone they need to get rid of Avi Arad and find someone like a Joss Whedon or the Russo brothers to be incharge.

Matt_Black

I heard that if Marvel recasts Spider-Man that they would find Garfield a different role in a future film. I heard the biggest problem with the Spider-Man movies is the the Sony executives kept interfering. They were the ones that wanted Venom thrown into Spider-Man 3. If they want to still go it alone they need to get rid of Avi Arad and find someone like a Joss Whedon or the Russo brothers to be incharge.

I know FOX was trying something like that with bringing in Mark Millar so that the FF films and the X-Men films can have continuity. The problem is that Mark Millar is only good when he's under the tight supervision of someone like Grant Morrison.

matt78

You're right about Venom. The problem was they wanted him added in last minute and it didn't work in the movie. He should have been done in Spider-Man 4 but Sony was to impatient.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom