Which Deluxe?

epcot2004

Original Poster
OK, we have only been home for a few weeks and the planning has started for our next trip for late spring/early summer. We have stayed at YC, BC, BLT (never again) and WL in the Deluxe category. I am looking for opinions as to what the next resort should be. BC is probably out due to the upcoming construction, Poly, Contemporary and GF are out of our price range. That leaves OKW, AKL, BW and a repeat of one that we have already stayed at which is certainly not out of the question. We did notice a refurb at WL when we were there for dinner in November, not sure when that will be complete. Anyone who has seen me post about resorts might remember that my wife and I are 'hotel snobs' meaning that location, condition of the room and the property make or break the trip. Also, the view is important, no parking lots or dumpsters. We are not necessarily proud of that but reality is reality. A moderate is not totally out of the question but we have become very spoiled with the Deluxe properties. It is more than a place to sleep for us as our trips have evolved from getting up at 5am and staying in the parks till closing. Now we try (with varying amounts of success) to use resort amenities and slow down a little bit.

TXDisney

Boardwalk for sure. Just stayed there and loved it. YC is our favorite but you're right with construction it's not worth it.

Blairnicol

Boardwalk if you've never stayed there. I've heard that AKL is really lovely. I've only been for meals, but the theming is really amazing, as are the views. It's just SUCH a hike to all the parks.

Dog Ate Mouse

Animal Kingdom Lodge is Beautiful, relaxing and has a feeling of come on in look around and relax. The Animal kingdom lodge is a little further away from the parks for the most part, but if you upgrade and get the view of the animals is just so calming and peaceful. Good food and nice pools. Love the theme and decor and also love the fact you feel tucked away from the rest of the world.

MaxsDad

Here are the factors I read in your post that you feel are important, and which resort shines brightest in that category:

Condition of room and property: I have stayed at both in the last 2 years, and to me Boardwalk has more wear on it right now. AKL is newer, so advantage AKL.
View: AKL. You can have a wonderful view at AKL.
Resort Amenities/Slow Down: AKL, in and of itself. However, if you consider Epcot and WS's proximity to Boardwalk, that might change that.

JasonDeyoung

At this moment Id probably go with AKL only downside I've ever had there was the bus rides seem long but it's very quiet and awesome. I just booked another stay there this morning actually lol

PhilharMagician

At this moment Id probably go with AKL only downside I've ever had there was the bus rides seem long but it's very quiet and awesome. I just booked another stay there this morning actually lol

I have always found that AKL transportation is really good. The longest ride is going to DTD because of all the lights and turns the bus makes, but the other parks are fairly quick including MK because you hit World drive and it is straight on to MK. The worst for me has been the MK resorts.

I am also curious about why "Never Again" for BLT?

IMHO would opt for AKL and the Boardwalk as a second choice.

JasonDeyoung

I have always found that AKL transportation is really good. The longest ride is going to DTD because of all the lights and turns the bus makes, but the other parks are fairly quick including MK because you hit World drive and it is straight on to MK. The worst for me has been the MK resorts.

Like I said, I thought they seemed long but def nothing worth complaining over I was just always use to being next to the parks where as AK is a ways out. The bus system there has always been really good. I agree, the one to dtd did seem the the longest haha oh well def not a deal breaker by any means. Love the resort

JasonDeyoung

Like I said, I thought they seemed long but def nothing worth complaining over I was just always use to being next to the parks where as AK is a ways out. The bus system there has always been really good. I agree, the one to dtd did seem the the longest haha oh well def not a deal breaker by any means. Love the resort
As for BLT I've only been there once around when it opened and loved it. Like any resort there'll be the good and bad. I know ppl who will never stay there again cause of a bad experience just like any other resort. I've never really had the urge to go back just cause of cost, great location but for amount of time in the room and resort just not worth it to me especially when I can get a room at the Contemporary for a good amount less

epcot2004

Original Poster
Curious....Why "Never Again" on BLT?

The main reason is that we felt like we were staying in a condo or apartment complex due to the lack of a lobby. Shame on us for not realizing that ahead of time. The second reason is more hit and miss, the room was hammered! Stained carpeting and damaged furniture - before we were assigned to the room.:) Probably should have simply asked for another room.

ladydi

Another vote for Boardwalk. We were there in September. The inn was just renovated so rooms are not tired looking. Loved the location and the adult atmosphere. My 13 yr old boys and 11 yr old daughter also liked it. I would also recommend CSR. I unfortunately am also a resort snob but we really liked CSR. Grounds are beautiful and room was nice.

Much-Pixie-Dust

Another vote for AKL, Savanna View. So much to see and do there. Where else can you sit your private balcony and look at giraffes and zebras going by?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom