The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
You have hit upon a couple of things that really impressed me about our local libraries. They have "quiet" rooms where those that are troubled by noises and people talking can go. In there it is the old school "shush" method. Also, there are always people just sitting there reading in the regular part of the library along with tutoring, language classes, story time for kids and other activities. I don't think that they would tolerate yelling, but, normal conversation seems to not be a problem at all.

Wow, I think that's great. Everyone wins. :happy: I guess the libraries where I am are still old school; quiet is enforced. But I think it's a really good idea to have some (designated) areas where people can talk (if working on a project, such as @Gabe1 mentioned), or tutor a student. I've never heard of this type of mixed use library situation before, but I do think it has merit. I also never realized the problem for hard-of-hearing people, trying to keep their voices low. For that reason alone, I absolutely agree that there should be areas where discussion is allowed.

Regardless of how things vary from location to location, as long as we can keep libraries, I'll be happy! :)

FutureCEO

Even as a kid, Christmas Eve was my favourite part of the Christmas holidays.
I loved all the relatives popping in, the food, and the tremendous sense of anticipation.
Every gift I ever dreamed of getting, could potentially still be mere hours away from being placed beneath the tree.

As my grandparents started to pass away, we started the family tradition of "the cemetery trek", where we would go to three different cemeteries, and lay flowers at each grave.
I haven't done this in a few years though, as I kind of got to the point where I have as many loved ones below ground as above.

Personally, I'm at that weird in-between stage. 10 years out from my kids being "kids", but at least 8-10 years (fingers crossed) from grandbabies.

My aunt hasn't taken over Christmas Eve this year from my grandparents who can't physically and mentally do it anymore. And she wants everything to do the same :rolleyes: as it was when we were kids. Which means 'Santa' coming dressed as my idiotic cousin. And then people will ask me about a job. My other idiotic cousin makes like six figures selling Paychex and all she did during college was boozing it up and being a *****. The party was just going to a immediate family but now it's way more people than usual. All through my mind is usually how I don't want to be here. I do like my other cousins though.

If I ever find someone, I'm going to their house.

Cesar R M

Wow.
Sounds to me more like they were saying... "Thank you for your willingness to participate, but, you're obviously not going to give us the result we want on this "survey". Have a Magical day!"
makes you wonder why they even do surveys.. to inflate and lie to the higher ups?
almost feels like the lower management teams and marketings are doing the best to manipulate the surveys.
So the surveys always give top stars to their jobs and services (even if they suck donkey dingies). Thus they can lie to their higher ups and get their personal bonuses.

I almost wonder if that is the new Corporate Disney. Only seeking for the bonus.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
My aunt hasn't taken over Christmas Eve this year from my grandparents who can't physically and mentally do it anymore. And she wants everything to do the same :rolleyes: as it was when we were kids. Which means 'Santa' coming dressed as my idiotic cousin. And then people will ask me about a job. My other idiotic cousin makes like six figures selling Paychex and all she did during college was boozing it up and being a *****. The party was just going to a immediate family but now it's way more people than usual. All through my mind is usually how I don't want to be here. I do like my other cousins though.

Well then, there's always booze.
That's how Hubby's family all gets along. Lots and lots of liquor.

Goofyernmost

DWifey has her digital clock on her night stand that I can't see unless I sit really far up. Unfortunatey, the clock I look at is the one on the cable box in our bedroom. I do not wear a watch, so, I've got that covered.
And, I know when I've caught those snatches here and there. For some reason, one thing I am never unsure about is when I doze and don't doze. Maybe that's part of the situation, now that I think about it. :confused:
My mind just keeps rolllin'. Sometimes it's concern about things life-related, other times it just trivial stuff I can't, for the life of me, stop thinkin' about.
DWifey, on the other hand...her head hits the pillow, and she's out. Mind-boggling...!!! :confused:
I feel that most of us sleep more then we think we do. Lately I have, for reasons unknown, gone to bed around 11pm. Like someone is there poking me with a stick I wake up at 12:30am sit up for a minute, lay back down and go to sleep again quickly only to wake up again at around 3:30am. That is the one that can go either direction. I will sometimes be able to just go back to sleep only to wake up at 6am or I find that I cannot get back to sleep so I get up for about an hour and a half and then go back to bed and sleep till about 7:30am. What ever combination that I happen to use I will usually get about 7 hours per night of interrupted sleep. I do tend to drift off to dream land in the afternoon if I have the TV on, but, I contribute that mostly to boredom.

Before I was diagnosed with Apnea they tell me that I used to fall asleep at my desk at work. I never realized that I was doing that. I knew I was sleepy and thought that I was just nodding off and waking up as soon as my head dropped down and going on with whatever I was doing. They never told me I was doing that until after I got my diagnosis. I might have taken action much sooner if I had known that was happening.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I feel that most of us sleep more then we think we do. Lately I have, for reasons unknown, gone to bed around 11pm. Like someone is there poking me with a stick I wake up at 12:30am sit up for a minute, lay back down and go to sleep again quickly only to wake up again at around 3:30am. That is the one that can go either direction. I will sometimes be able to just go back to sleep only to wake up at 6am or I find that I cannot get back to sleep so I get up for about an hour and a half and then go back to bed and sleep till about 7:30am. What ever combination that I happen to use I will usually get about 7 hours per night of interrupted sleep. I do tend to drift off to dream land in the afternoon if I have the TV on, but, I contribute that mostly to boredom.

Before I was diagnosed with Apnea they tell me that I used to fall asleep at my desk at work. I never realized that I was doing that. I knew I was sleepy and thought that I was just nodding off and waking up as soon as my head dropped down and going on with whatever I was doing. They never told me I was doing that until after I got my diagnosis. I might have taken action much sooner if I had known that was happening.

I average about 6 1/2-7 hours a night. Don't know why but I often fall asleep by 9:30 and wake up maybe 4:30 AM. I have a strange sleep pattern. :) But I do love early mornings!!! :D

That's too bad that you have sleep apnea, but I am glad that received the diagnosis so that the dr. can help you.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
This is the last shopping weekend before Christmas, and the craziness started early on the roads out there. I saw on the morning business report that this may be the busiest shopping day of the year. I was out from 7:30 AM-9:45AM or so. Went to a bunch of stores and also did some of the Christmas food shopping (I'll hold off on the fresh veggies, etc. for a few days).

I was also waiting all week for a check to arrive that would cover a larger gift I wanted to buy, and of course, it came around 1:30--long after I came back; plus, the bank had closed (12 noon on Saturdays). Had to go out again, and deposit in ATM. Oh well, maybe it will clear by Weds. (out of state check). I'm hoping I can get out a few hours early from work, on Christmas Eve to finish up.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Ugh. I understand your lack of cheer about this upcoming holiday gathering of rellies. May I suggest that you first indulge in some "spirits" . . . and when queried about subjects you don't want to address, just be brief and be positive about the good things (such as your volunteer work) that are also occupying your time. Then quickly ask them questions about what they're doing, to shift the focus off yourself.

Also, take a bunch of breaks away from all of them during the party. In those awkward types of gatherings, you can usually find at least one person you can enjoy hanging out with, at least enough to make it through until you (mercifully) can leave.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yeah, I'm OK with the initial greeting and are you looking for anything, after I say I'm just looking....leave me alone. It isn't just Disney it is any store.

I always try to be pleasant to store personnel, too. They're just trying to do their job. But I'm a loner when it comes to browsing in stores and prefer to just putter around by myself, until I have a question, or if I take something to the register. I'm not the type of customer that (after the initial greeting) wants to be followed around; makes me nervous. I've actually walked out of a few stores if the sales staff kept coming over. I know there are customers who like that extra attention, but not me.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
While I was out shopping this morning, I went to Petco and bought two chew toys for my dog, Jack, for Christmas. I came home with bags from various stores, and also bags from the supermarket, as I did grocery shopping as well. I put the non-food bags on the sofa in the livingroom, and the food bags on the kitchen table. I put the food away and went back to the livingroom, to take the bags of gifts upstairs. Yet--

What do I see? o_O Is that the back of a rump, with 4 furry legs, and a head INSIDE a bag on sofa??!! :eek: That sneaky varmint found his Christmas presents already! I yelled at him to get out of there and he was busted: one toy was on the floor and one in the bag. :mad:

donaldtoo

Pretty sure I don't, but, that's somethin' only one of those sleep surveys would probably help to nail down, for sure. Letting me know exactly what stages of sleep I'm entering, and when.
For instance, I had sleep apnea both times during my life when I was pretty overweight. I would, too often, wake up in a panic gagging, and choking on reflux and such. Horrible experience. Both times I've lost lots of weight, like now, I've never had problem one with it.
Also, again, this morning is a good example. Both times when I woke up after those short 15 min. sleeps I felt completely and totally relaxed. It's how I know I've actually "slept". It's a totally different feeling than I get when the clock keeps distracting me and all I feel is anxiety the whole time.
Again, somethin' only me bein' monitored overnight would probably shed any real light on, but, I can guarantee you, I'm gettin' nowhere near 7 hrs. of good, deep REM a night, interrupted or not.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
That was EXACTLY my first reaction as well. It really doesn't make them look good, not to mention they wasted her time. Ridiculous.

Or they could just be looking for individuals who used certain services and benefits to see how they liked/disliked them. And if you didn't use those things, your survey is not necessary. There are different surveys for different things. We may not all be a good fit for each survey.

Is doesn't always have to be some big conspiracy like "oh they must be fishing for only positive feedback. There CANT be another reason."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom