PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

Goofyernmost

If it was a health concern it is only because Disney was unwilling to do the work and let it become a health concern.
The reality is that it was built long before the public became acutely aware of problems with mold and mildew. With the enclosed space there is hardly any way to prevent moisture from invisibly dispersing throughout the building, but, mostly in the lobby area. The answer to the health concern is what they are doing now, but, I suppose you are correct and that they should have torn it out of there much sooner then now.

lazyboy97o

The reality is that it was built long before the public became acutely aware of problems with mold and mildew. With the enclosed space there is hardly any way to prevent moisture from invisibly dispersing throughout the building, but, mostly in the lobby area. The answer to the health concern is what they are doing now, but, I suppose you are correct and that they should have torn it out of there much sooner then now.
Because adding ventilation and/or dehumidifiers is impossible?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I guess the next step is to to rename TWDC to the "Iger Corporation". It seems the guy is like Pharaoh's of old hammering out their predecessor's cartouche's and placing theirs over it.
At least the Pharaohs would build on a LARGE miraculous scale. Id compare Iger and friends more to Ikea, or better yet, a flea market.

majortom1981

Because adding ventilation and/or dehumidifiers is impossible?
Somebody on this site I think lives by the designer and builder of the original fountain. The guy said when built it was only supposed to last 10 years and would have had to be completely torn out and rebuilt. Disney let it slide to just now. So it wasn't just adding dehumidifiers.

MerlinTheGoat

There are plenty of Embassy Suites hotels with smaller Polynesian sized fountains, rockwork and plant structures. Some of which not even with very large skylights. The Peabody hotel (the remaining one in Memphis, though Orlando had one until it was recently bought by Hyatt) has a somewhat smaller fountain in their lobby (without skylights), but also regularly allows their live ducks to wander down from their home on the roof to the lobby fountain. Ducks are very messy, but the hotel doesn't mind cleaning up because it's a hotel tradition and the guests love the ducks.

As for the lobby size, properly filtered A/C and dehumidification along with basic cleaning and proper refurbishment (as used to be the standard for Disney) would have prevented most if not all problems that occurred with this. As Disney of late has been trying to pinch pennies with reducing air conditioning for guests along with basic standards of cleanliness and upkeep, these problems escalated very quickly since the mid 90's. If the managers of the Gaylord hotels and Embassy Suites chose to throw their standards of quality to the wayside and instead pursue Disney's current business model, those hotels would rot away in no time as well. They know better though thankfully.

There are also plenty of indoor boat rides at Disney parks with small and very dark rooms, no skylights to speak of, using "swamp water" etc, but I guess we should close those as well because of mold and neglect. Personally though I don't see them closing Small World or Pirates because of the backlash they'll get (they'll either run them to failure until they finally rot away or spend the necessary money to fix them). They also have partially indoor boat rides planned for Avatar and Shanghai Disneyland (at least Shanghai, we'll see if the boat ride makes it into Avatar following potential budget cuts).

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

SeaWorld Orlando radically dehumidifies people throughout the day at Antartica: Empire of the Penguin.
Wish they could do something about the smell in there, so I guess the air circulation system isn't all that powerful. People only spend a few minutes (unless they like to freeze to death) where people stay at the Poly for hours and multiple days.

lazyboy97o

Wish they could do something about the smell in there, so I guess the air circulation system isn't all that powerful. People only spend a few minutes (unless they like to freeze to death) where people stay at the Poly for hours and multiple days.
None of that has anything to do with the ability to dehumidify and properly maintain a fountain at the Polynesian.

Goofyernmost

None of that has anything to do with the ability to dehumidify and properly maintain a fountain at the Polynesian.
Nor did the following that you posted.
SeaWorld Orlando radically dehumidifies people throughout the day at Antartica: Empire of the Penguin.
We are talking about a place where people spend extended hours, not just walk through. I'd say that there is a difference even if you don't.

lazyboy97o

Nor did the following that you posted.

We are talking about a place where people spend extended hours, not just walk through. I'd say that there is a difference even if you don't.
The difference in time spent has nothing to with the ability to dehumidify in Florida, which you denied. Dehumidification will cool the air but at the Polynesian Resort it would not have to be as extreme nor would it be combined with such a significant reduction in the air temperature.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

I think it looks pretty nice. While I did love the waterfall, the old lobby was absolutely straight out of the 70's. The real problem here is that the centerpiece is really, really weak and really needs a water feature. Perhaps it will look better with the coming addition.

EPCOTCenterLover

From a design perspective I think they have achieved a fresh, updated take on tiki style that is slightly retro, yet not 1970's period piece. The colors are relevant to the current trends in interior design (bolder colors grounded by richer neutrals) and the furniture profiles are appropriate and look inviting. I think the areas are well designed for interaction and connection instead of a large water feature and dense growth that forces the seating into primarily outward facing rows, there are multiple areas to congregate and flow around. I do think they could use some plantings or pots with more vertical elements such as taller bamboo or palms to better tie the ground level seating and the upper level float lights together (or if some of those hung even lower in the center above the new, scaled down water feature. I think the way the colors of the bromeliads are echoed in the rugs and bench seats is a good way of bringing bright pop colors in without overwhelming. I think in many ways it brings a renewed focus to the lobby and while it is a dramatic shift from what was there, I feel it allows the area to function more as a hotel lobby should. I am liking how it also integrates in to wholistic project as Captain Cooks now ties in more with its similar color palette and tone. I think it also is very in step with the direction they seem to be taking with the more upscale themed look - moving away from the hotel being an extension of the theme parks "over the top-ness" and instead providing a different type of "escape" in the hospitality areas. Overall I am liking what I see and it is an example of why design projects always seem to make more sense once all of the soft elements are in place. I also applaud the Disney design team for having a clear vision based on current and relevant hospitality design trends and not yielding to pressure from preservationists reluctant for change - clinging to a design concept that doesn't fit the new business objectives. Sometimes its not popular to be the one leading the charge into new, necessary directions.

"Preservationist"- not in the least. But if you are going to do something, make sure its an enhancement to the overall experience and that it exceeds the artistic beauty of what was there before. This transformation of the lobby does neither but instead detracts what what was.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
There are plenty of Embassy Suites hotels with smaller Polynesian sized fountains, rockwork and plant structures. Some of which not even with very large skylights. The Peabody hotel (the remaining one in Memphis, though Orlando had one until it was recently bought by Hyatt) has a somewhat smaller fountain in their lobby (without skylights), but also regularly allows their live ducks to wander down from their home on the roof to the lobby fountain. Ducks are very messy, but the hotel doesn't mind cleaning up because it's a hotel tradition and the guests love the ducks.

As for the lobby size, properly filtered A/C and dehumidification along with basic cleaning and proper refurbishment (as used to be the standard for Disney) would have prevented most if not all problems that occurred with this. As Disney of late has been trying to pinch pennies with reducing air conditioning for guests along with basic standards of cleanliness and upkeep, these problems escalated very quickly since the mid 90's. If the managers of the Gaylord hotels and Embassy Suites chose to throw their standards of quality to the wayside and instead pursue Disney's current business model, those hotels would rot away in no time as well. They know better though thankfully.

There are also plenty of indoor boat rides at Disney parks with small and very dark rooms, no skylights to speak of, using "swamp water" etc, but I guess we should close those as well because of mold and neglect. Personally though I don't see them closing Small World or Pirates because of the backlash they'll get (they'll either run them to failure until they finally rot away or spend the necessary money to fix them). They also have partially indoor boat rides planned for Avatar and Shanghai Disneyland (at least Shanghai, we'll see if the boat ride makes it into Avatar following potential budget cuts).

Well said. I think it's pretty clear based on everything you and @lazyboy97o said that none of this is impossible, they just choose not to deal with it for obvious reasons.

As a longtime fan of the Poly, it's a huge bummer that they went from awesome and unique to plain and ordinary.

LL2WDW

Well said. I think it's pretty clear based on everything you and @lazyboy97o said that none of this is impossible, they just choose not to deal with it for obvious reasons.

As a longtime fan of the Poly, it's a huge bummer that they went from awesome and unique to plain and ordinary.

The Poly has always been my favorite resort. In fact, I used to work front desk at the start of the 2000s. I've spent a lot of time in that lobby, with the waterfall.

I will miss it. It was beautiful in it's own way.

The new lobby, while very different from its predecessor, is not plain and ordinary. I travel all over the US for work, and I stay in many plain and ordinary hotels. A grand, 3-story wooden atrium with skylights, and views out onto a new pool/garden area...not my idea of normal. A big change, but not a lazy "ordinary" change, as is the popular argument.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
The Poly has always been my favorite resort. In fact, I used to work front desk at the start of the 2000s. I've spent a lot of time in that lobby, with the waterfall.

I will miss it. It was beautiful in it's own way.

The new lobby, while very different from its predecessor, is not plain and ordinary. I travel all over the US for work, and I stay in many plain and ordinary hotels. A grand, 3-story wooden atrium with skylights, and views out onto a new pool/garden area...not my idea of normal. A big change, but not a lazy "ordinary" change, as is the popular argument.
Yep, plain and ordinary. Your place of employment and travels don't change my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom