PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

Soarin' Over Pgh

No they should have wrapped primacord around the rubble pile and had a lottery to see who gets to push the button.

That, and the aforementioned binoculars on the second floor are FastPass Plus specials and you need to reserve them ahead of time. Just make sure it doesn't conflict with your fp+ lunch at BOG or fp+ dinner at Ohana.

Seriously though I'm disgusted and can't even look at any more pics of this.

I think it's time I head back to the Disneyland everything-is-awesome boards. The constant ....missteps.... And defurbishments are like driving past a car wreck...you gotta slow down, you don't wanna look, but ugh, you're looking, and you feel empty inside for not having the self control not to look.

Little Green Men

That, and the aforementioned binoculars on the second floor are FastPass Plus specials and you need to reserve them ahead of time. Just make sure it doesn't conflict with your fp+ lunch at BOG or fp+ dinner at Ohana.

I think it's time I head back to the Disneyland everything-is-awesome boards. The constant ....missteps.... And defurbishments are like driving past a car wreck...you gotta slow down, you don't wanna look, but ugh, you're looking, and you feel empty inside for not having the self control not to look.
Well DL did have that NOS/ COA controversy

Vegas Disney Fan

I thought the old fountain made the lobby dark and congested but really think they could have done better with the new centerpiece. To go from a water feature that was so massive it blocked out the sun to a centerpiece you might find in an upscale private home is shocking. The lobby is small but they could have gotten away with reducing the size to the fountain to the center area and still added several seating areas around it while allowing more light in.

I like the new lobby but don't love it just like I liked the old lobby but didn't love it. I just can't wait to go back to see it in person.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Oh boy. The one thing I hoped wouldn't be gone once the refurb was over. That and the Samoa Mickey, Minnie, Morty, and Ferdie statues that were on top of the shelves in Trader Jacks (now Moana Mercantile).... Shame. Was one of my favorite resorts since I was young.

This is kind of like the equivalent of them tearing out the Mary Blair mural in the Contemporary.

Yes it is - and it puzzles me why more people do not see it that way.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I thought the old fountain made the lobby dark and congested but really think they could have done better with the new centerpiece. To go from a water feature that was so massive it blocked out the sun to a centerpiece you might find in an upscale private home is shocking. The lobby is small but they could have gotten away with reducing the size to the fountain to the center area and still added several seating areas around it while allowing more light in.

I like the new lobby but don't love it just like I liked the old lobby but didn't love it. I just can't wait to go back to see it in person.

You will not like it, I'll post pictures later today

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well DL did have that NOS/ COA controversy

And the HORRIBLE Club 33 makeover which went out of it's way to remove touches which Walt personally oversaw. I guess the next step is to to rename TWDC to the "Iger Corporation". It seems the guy is like Pharaoh's of old hammering out their predecessor's cartouche's and placing theirs over it.

Father Robinson

I know they're building some type of new water features for outside the entrance, but here's what I can't get past: The water feature INSIDE was special BECAUSE it was INSIDE!! Any hotel can have outdoor fountains, ponds, waterfalls...but put it in the lobby and you got yourself something special. That's what they've forgotten. It doesn't matter to me if they build a whole rainforest outside the hotel, you would never see people just sitting around and relaxing, reading a book and just taking in the wonder. Outside a hotel's entrance just doesn't seem quite as cozy as inside it's lobby does it? Especially if it rains, gee those new outdoor entrance fountains will certainly get their wow factor then, won't they?!!! Perfect example, take the Christmas tree in your living room and put it outside your front door... doesn't have quite the same feeling anymore, does it?

Goofyernmost

I know they're building some type of new water features for outside the entrance, but here's what I can't get past: The water feature INSIDE was special BECAUSE it was INSIDE!! Any hotel can have outdoor fountains, ponds, waterfalls...but put it in the lobby and you got yourself something special. That's what they've forgotten. It doesn't matter to me if they build a whole rainforest outside the hotel, you would never see people just sitting around and relaxing, reading a book and just taking in the wonder. Outside a hotel's entrance just doesn't seem quite as cozy as inside it's lobby does it? Especially if it rains, gee those new outdoor entrance fountains will certainly get their wow factor then, won't they?!!! Perfect example, take the Christmas tree in your living room and put it outside your front door... doesn't have quite the same feeling anymore, does it?
Being inside is quite probably the reason why it had to be removed. A waterfall/fountain inside an enclosed building just by the laws of nature, especially in Florida, would have to be a huge mold and mildew producer. It was interesting to look at, but, it may very well have been a health question that took it out.

space42

Being inside is quite probably the reason why it had to be removed. A waterfall/fountain inside an enclosed building just by the laws of nature, especially in Florida, would have to be a huge mold and mildew producer. It was interesting to look at, but, it may very well have been a health question that took it out.

Someone should let Gaylord palms know ;)

Gaylord-Palms-Resort_Full_8826.jpg

lazyboy97o

If it was a health concern it is only because Disney was unwilling to do the work and let it become a health concern.

asianway

And the HORRIBLE Club 33 makeover which went out of it's way to remove touches which Walt personally oversaw. I guess the next step is to to rename TWDC to the "Iger Corporation". It seems the guy is like Pharaoh's of old hammering out their predecessor's cartouche's and placing theirs over it.
Standard MO for WDI nowadays

Cesar R M

Disney really wants you to feel the frozen spirit.. aka "conceal, dont feel, let it go...." as they wip your dollars from your wallet :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom