Into The Woods

BuddyThomas

Is there a new song in the film? If not, then no song in the film is eligible in the category.
Sondheim wrote a new song for the Witch but it got cut in post production. It'll be included on the DVD as an extra. I'm not aware of any other new songs but I might be wrong.

Sped2424

It really isn't a wait-and-see deal. Pretty much every regional film critics' awards have more-or-less ignored Into the Woods in their final winners.

Best Picture - Musical/Comedy at the Golden Globes will almost certainly be Birdman, with The Grand Budapest Hotel being the lone dark horse.

Best Actress - Musical/Comedy might go to Emily Blunt, but this is a weak category that won't translate to the Oscars at all; the Drama version of this category will represent the Oscars. I can see Julianne Moore for Map to the Stars winning or Amy Adams for Big Eyes.

Best Supporting Actress is probably going to Patricia Arquette for Boyhood or Emma Stone in Birdman. Streep will likely be nominated for an Oscar, but it'll be similar to her nomination in The Devil Wears Prada (i.e. no chance of actually winning).

If I was a betting man, and I usually am, these are the likely winners at the Oscars:

Best Picture
Birdman
Boyhood

Best Director
Richard Linklater, Boyhood
Alejandro González Iñárritu, Birman

Best Actor
Michael Keaton, Birdman
Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything
Benedict Cumberbatch, The Imitation Game

Best Actress
Julianne Moore, Still Alice
Reese Witherspoon, Wild
Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
Mario Cotillard, 2 Days 1 Night
Jennifer Aniston, Cake
*This is an exceedingly strong category this year

Best Supporting Actor
JK Simmons, Whiplash
Edward Norton, Birdman

Best Supporting Actress
Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
Emma Stone, Birdman

Best Original Screenplay
Boyhood
Birdman
Grand Budapest Hotel

Adapted Screenplay
Gone Girl
Inherent Vice
The Imitation Game
The Theory of Everything

These are who I think have any possibility of winning based on the current awards season layout and current winners.
right but like I said there is still a possibility for blunt. Like I said let's wait and see.

Sped2424

I've done my research.

AFI's Top Ten films is not an award. It's a spot on a list.

The Satellite Awards are not considered elite. And even so, an unopposed win as Best Ensemble doesn't mean anything because that category only otherwise exists in the SAG Awards, which it isn't even nominated for there.
Ah pick and choose on what matters for traction and what doesn't that's fair. Anyways I am going to stand by my comment and you can stand by yours. Let's wait and see who will be right.

Sped2424

In other musical movie news, Annie is tracking at only 21% positive on Rotten Tomatoes. Yikes.
That film suffers from a problem that could have easily been avoided. The girl playing annie can't sing without the help of GLARING auto tune. Also cameron diaz shouldn't have been in there either. It's an okay film, something you put on so your kids will be calm for an hour or so, but sadly nothing to write about. Which is a shame because having annie be black I thought was commendable and a good idea, but the end product is working against that and folks are going to say stupid things now.

stevehousse

In other musical movie news, Annie is tracking at only 21% positive on Rotten Tomatoes. Yikes.

That film suffers from a problem that could have easily been avoided. The girl playing annie can't sing without the help of GLARING auto tune. Also cameron diaz shouldn't have been in there either. It's an okay film, something you put on so your kids will be calm for an hour or so, but sadly nothing to write about. Which is a shame because having annie be black I thought was commendable and a good idea, but the end product is working against that and folks are going to say stupid things now.

I have watched most of Annie at our theater, I haven't seen all of it, but it is an awkward film to say the least...

The new updated story is actually interesting, and I honestly believe that the flaws of this film really relied on the hands of the director! Very sloppy work. Everyone except Jamie Foxx is tone deaf and auto tuned! While most of the cast was like able, several actors shouldn't have been cast. The worst part of the whole film was the editing. I actually started to get annoyed watching it because of the awful lip syncing jobs done by the majority of the cast.

I honestly could say that if this film was in someone else's hands, and a couple supporting roles recast, this would have turned out a lot better than what just released.

Sped2424

I have watched most of Annie at our theater, I haven't seen all of it, but it is an awkward film to say the least...

The new updated story is actually interesting, and I honestly believe that the flaws of this film really relied on the hands of the director! Very sloppy work. Everyone except Jamie Foxx is tone deaf and auto tuned! While most of the cast was like able, several actors shouldn't have been cast. The worst part of the whole film was the editing. I actually started to get annoyed watching it because of the awful lip syncing jobs done by the majority of the cast.

I honestly could say that if this film was in someone else's hands, and a couple supporting roles recast, this would have turned out a lot better than what just released.
As cute as the lead quvenzhané wallis is she sadly missed the one thing needed for a good annie. And that was singing ability. She is so autotuned to death it's horrid. Cameron diaz is so bad at being mean they had to make her redeemable even though mrs hannigan is supposed to be an awful person through and through. It was just something that could have been fixed with the right cast and a slightly better script.

Animaniac93-98

Saw Into the Woods today using a "free ticket + food combo" I got for Christmas. Movie was good, audience was not. Someone's phone went off, another was looking at theirs for awhile, people talking throughout (young and old) etc. I don't think you could pay anyone these days to sit still and be quiet.

FigmentForver96

Just got back from seeing Into The Woods and I must say I am impressed. Much better then what I was expecting and the songs weren't overbearing like other musicals. Some songs are more easy to forget while others like the opening "Into the Woods" are actually pretty good. I would strongly recommend watching it and I might go back a second time if I'm honest.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Saw Into the Woods today using a "free ticket + food combo" I got for Christmas. Movie was good, audience was not. Someone's phone went off, another was looking at theirs for awhile, people talking throughout (young and old) etc. I don't think you could pay anyone these days to sit still and be quiet.
You have to see if you can find a no talking , no phone theater in your area. They are more expensive but they are worth every penny. They opened an Alamo Draft House near us an it is the greatest thing ever! Saw the Hobbit last night and not one person was being rude. Great experience.

Tony Perkis

You have to see if you can find a no talking , no phone theater in your area. They are more expensive but they are worth every penny. They opened an Alamo Draft House near us an it is the greatest thing ever! Saw the Hobbit last night and not one person was being rude. Great experience.
Alamo Drafthouse + Christmas Vacation Quote-a-thon = greatness.

I love that place.

Skip

Saw the film on Christmas. Very good, not truly great. Disney's inability to allow the racier material is what'll kill its Oscar prospects. Almost the entire cast turned in some really fun performances, though.

Animaniac93-98

Disney's inability to allow the racier material

I rewatched the original production after seeing the movie yesterday and I'm not sure what racier material was really left out. Overall, the movie was a very faithful adaption of the stage play and the things that were cut or changed didn't bother me.

216bruce

I SO agree with the audience problem. There's just so many people who think they are at home and can just yak away, check their phone, etc. horrible. Luckily we have in Cleveland a locally owned theater chain where they will throw you out if you don't shut off your phone and if you become a chatterbox in the theater. "Into the Woods" was excellent. Nice to see a musical again. I still need to try and 'like' Meryl Streep again after her Walt rant, but she was quite good. No Bernadette Peters, but still pretty good.

Skip

I rewatched the original production after seeing the movie yesterday and I'm not sure what racier material was really left out. Overall, the movie was a very faithful adaption of the stage play and the things that were cut or changed didn't bother me.

Cutting "No More" was a major issue - they didn't kill Rapunzel, completely excised the reprise of Agony (which is pretty important for the development of both princes). They removed most of the sexuality from the film (though I respect Depp for trying), and they softened the deaths that were there. The whole thing felt tamer than what the film should be - changes that may have felt minor (like not killing Rapunzel) actually had domino effects throughout the whole thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom