Disney with Kids

TXDisney

Original Poster
My wife and I love Disney. We don't have any kids right now, but will start trying soon. We have done Disney 5 times in the last 2yrs so she kinda wants a lil break. I don't. She says she doesn't really wanna do a full week trip again till we have a kid that'll appreciate it. How old do you think it is where a child enjoys Disney? Bc I wanna start planning our next trip.

Lexie

I just took mine for the first time at 3 and 18 months... It was an amazing trip. Granted they won't remember it but I have the most amazing memories of their little faces taking it all in... my 18 month old loved meeting the characters!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The age of the child is irrelevant. What matters is if the parents are willing to do what it takes to allow their child, regardless of their age, to enjoy the trip.

Most people tend to forget that they are on their child's schedule, not theirs. If you try to go rope drop to closing at a commando pace, most kids under 10 will eventually snap and take you with them.

Slow down the pace to what your child is comfortable with and it will not matter what age they are.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I've seen parents with infants a few months old. Personally, I wouldn't take a child under the age of 5 (that's how old I was my first visit), but that's me. Certainly concur with Yoda. You WILL be on your child's schedule. There's no sense in trying to make a 3 year old accommodate an adult's schedule and pace. I'm sure those aren't the memories you want them to have. Or you.

NYwdwfan

The age of the child is irrelevant. What matters is if the parents are willing to do what it takes to allow their child, regardless of their age, to enjoy the trip.

Most people tend to forget that they are on their child's schedule, not theirs. If you try to go rope drop to closing at a commando pace, most kids under 10 will eventually snap and take you with them.

Slow down the pace to what your child is comfortable with and it will not matter what age they are.

Aint that the truth!!

TinkerTara

I agree with Master Yoda. You have to plan according to your child(s) needs and abilities. Any age can be a wonderful time to take your child. My daughter went for her first trip at 11 months old. There are attractions that young children can participate in, you will just have to do a little more research or if you use a Travel Agent they can help you plan an itinerary. Also when my children were young I planned to go back to the resort early afternoon. Even if we did not take a nap getting away from the overload of stimulation was just enough of a break. Then we could go back and enjoy the evening. For infants there is a baby care center in each of the parks. This is a wonderful place to go and feed, change and relax with your baby for a bit. Each different age group will hold its own special magic.

janoimagine

I agree with Master Yoda. You have to plan according to your child(s) needs and abilities. Any age can be a wonderful time to take your child. My daughter went for her first trip at 11 months old. There are attractions that young children can participate in, you will just have to do a little more research or if you use a Travel Agent they can help you plan an itinerary. Also when my children were young I planned to go back to the resort early afternoon. Even if we did not take a nap getting away from the overload of stimulation was just enough of a break. Then we could go back and enjoy the evening. For infants there is a baby care center in each of the parks. This is a wonderful place to go and feed, change and relax with your baby for a bit. Each different age group will hold its own special magic.
Welcome to the forums. :)

Weather_Lady

As others said, it's totally a personal choice. We waited until our youngest was both potty-trained and able to walk a long distance without a stroller, so our kids' first trip was at ages 4 and 6, but if you want to go more frequently and don't mind the extra [literal] baggage that comes with bringing a baby or toddler, by all means do it.

stephbreynolds

I would go to Disneyland first with small children. The character houses were a huge hit with my two kids and they still remember. My kids were 2 and 3 the first time we went to Disney.

BigHero4

I agree with Master Yoda as well (that sounds cool and weird all at the same time)... We took our son when he was 4 1/2, and we had a FANTASTIC trip. Did a full day at DHS with a break at noon, and then a full day at MK with no break. He did great... but as others are saying, you never know when your child will have a melt down.

My biggest thing was that I wanted him to have special memories of this trip that he could hold on to until we go next (which may not be for another 2-3 years). I didn't want to spend all that money on a trip that he wouldn't remember. He still talks about it to this day - especially when he got to fight Darth Vader at DHS!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
My wife and I love Disney. We don't have any kids right now, but will start trying soon. We have done Disney 5 times in the last 2yrs so she kinda wants a lil break. I don't. She says she doesn't really wanna do a full week trip again till we have a kid that'll appreciate it. How old do you think it is where a child enjoys Disney? Bc I wanna start planning our next trip.
My little ones (currently 11 and 5) enjoyed their trips at the ages of 6 months, 18 months, 2 years, 3 years, 4 years, and 5 years. Different kind of enjoyment each time, to be sure, but they enjoyed every one. As for remembering, we just went back to WDW with my 5 year old for the first time in 3 years -- a few trips to DLR in the meantime. Nonetheless, the 5 year old remembered something that happened on his last visit to WDW -- shocked us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom