Some complaints are valid.....some not so much

NearTheEars

I WAS forced to use fastpass+ actually, because otherwise I would have been required to wait about 4-5 times longer to ride Pirates of the Caribbean than the normal standby wait time prior to FP+ being implemented. I take issue with waiting in a now consistently 40-60 minute line for an attraction that almost never commanded more than 5-15 minutes in the first place (excepting the busiest times of the year or when it was brand new) and was more often than not practically a walk-on. POTC is one of a number of rides (Haunted Mansion was another from my experience) that never needed fastpass in the first place and did not command anywhere remotely close to these absurdly long lines before the system was implemented.

From personal experience using Fastpass+ for Pirates, the system accomplished nothing more than making the standby line 4-5 times as long as it normally would have been (without the system), the Fastpass+ line now simply has the same or longer wait time than what the ORIGINAL standby line normally had prior to FP. This system sucks, even moreso than regular Fastpass. And I have plenty of experience visiting WDW well before FP was invented at all, you don't need such a system provided you have the proper amount of quality, efficient and high capacity rides to evenly disperse the crowds throughout the park. That was how the parks were run prior to the mid-late 90's, and it was a very sound system.

What time of year are you going? 40-60 average is pretty high based on my frequent observations.
I've found the posted time to typically be around 20-30 minutes on most days. Which, admittedly, is higher than is used to be.

I think maintenance issues (frequent breakdowns) and these poorly designed new boats are a bigger issue with POTC. I hear more people saying the ride was down during their trips then I ever had before. :(

wannabeBelle

it doesn't stop anyone from booking a last minute trip. If you call Kingdom Konsultants and tell Marie (@wannabeBelle) you want to book a last minute trip, she's not going to tell you no if you haven't made your FP+ selection yet. Sorry Marie for using you.....lol She may tell you no because there are no rooms available but not because you didn't make your FP+ selections.
No worries, mention me as needed!!! Marie

BrianV

Are you serious, or are you a plant?

Last time I went to WDW, people were standing around kiosks harassing CMs about Fastpass and how it was supposed to work and how come it DIDN'T work and boy did I feel sorry for those CMs. I've never seen WDW park employees look so put-upon and exhausted. The guests didn't look so happy either. The Magic Band I wore was a female dog to put on every darn day, and it worked only twice to open my room door. Worked okay for the Meal Plan, but you know, the old Keys to the World cards worked just as well. Those were NICE. Slip them in a pocket and you're on your way. No stupid band to take on and off every day. I looked into booking rides with FP but decided it wasn't worth the hassle. If TSMM was over 30 minutes I just went somewhere else. I've ridden it once and that was enough; it's just a high-tech shooting gallery, so yawn., who cares? If FP works for you, goody. But it cost too much to implement, and the dollars spent on it could have gone to building new attractions. So I still say the heck with it.

When did you last go? I ask because of course there are kinks in the system, for example not opening doors, but those things get worked out eventually. I wonder about the failure rate of opening doors with magic bands _now_. Probably similar to the failure rate of cards pre magic-bands

As for bands vs cards, I've read that you can still request and get a card. Sounds like that would be the perfect solution for you. As for us, we found the magic bands to be slightly more convenient. Nothing dramatic, but didn't have to worry about getting out our tickets all the time. But to each his own...

Chef Mickey

I would disagree with that. We've only been going since 2008 but since the implementation of FP- the wait times for Pirates went from 5-10 minutes up to a normal wait time of 30+, and that's during September.
Oh I'm not saying that hasn't happened; I'm just saying the bigger issue is the lack of expansion to handle the increasing crowds and comparing years is getting harder.

BrerJon

As for bands vs cards, I've read that you can still request and get a card. Sounds like that would be the perfect solution for you. As for us, we found the magic bands to be slightly more convenient. Nothing dramatic, but didn't have to worry about getting out our tickets all the time. But to each his own...

I'd take 2 billion dollars of new attractions over 2 billion spent on a system to make things "slightly more convenient" any day.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'd take 2 billion dollars of new attractions over 2 billion spent on a system to make things "slightly more convenient" any day.
This is what happens when you do not invest in the infrastructure.

1186069606193.gif

MikeyK72

I think it is the dining reservation issues that hinder last minute trips more thanFP+. They NEED to hold back some dining capacity for walk-ups.

Absolutely agree. It's a shame to be denied as a walk-up when you can see half of the restaurant has empty tables...and you know you're being denied because they only staffed enough for the reservations that were made.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Just returned from 7 days in O-town and we have used FP+/Magic Bands many times since they first started. I see some things improving, others not so much.

Pros and cons (IMO, of course)

1. MDE. Pros: I think MDE is the absolute best thing to come out of MM+. It has really improved and is extremely user friendly. On prior trips I constantly got the error screen but only happened once on this trip. It was great! Cons: none (this trip)

2. FP+. Pros: (1). FP+ line moves much faster than it used to. We never waited more than 10 minutes after entering the FP+ entrance. On prior trips we waited much longer. (2). FP+ selections on 'day of' were decent too, but you better reserve em early. Cons: (1). The FP+ entrance still gets jammed up by the usual suspects (people w/o FP+, people playing dumb, or legitimate issues). (2). Longer standby wait times. It seems to be a product of allowing more FP+ riders to enter. I guess thats a double edge sword for DIsney, they keep the FP+ people from complaining but it causes longer standby wait times than years past. (3). FP+ is still horrible for park hopping. We were able to get many more quality FP selections throughout the day with legacy then we can now and legacy only required us to be up a little earlier, not plan everything 6 months out, and legacy did not have "tiers"

3. Magic Bands. Pros: (1). No problems at all with FP+ entrance. It always light up green, prior trips we had an error or two each day. Cons: (1). EVERY day had a problem at park entrance. Sometimes with both bands, sometimes just one. It got old really fast. I got sick of being asked, "is that the correct finger?". The CM's troubleshooting techniques are hilarious. Basically they just tell you "try it again" and keep asking "is that the correct finger". (3). Wifes band stopped working for room door on first day. We didnt want to waste the time at front desk so we just used mine. her band has failed on room door for the last 3 trips, mine never has. We just laugh it off, no big deal.

If it were up to me, Id keep MDE and scrap the rest. If you could make one FP selection at a time on your phone it would be perfect. Fair chance for everybody including locals who decide to go on a whim. All the other money could have been used for attraction capacity which is truly the only way to spread crowds out. I agree with @Dads 2 Boys that FP+ does not ruin your trip in any way, I still just prefer legacy.

JohnD

Wasn't one of the other complaints the cost of FP+? Reportedly $2 billion was spent on it. While, I don't know how accurate that number is, even if it was half that amount, a billion bucks (or even half of that) wouldn't that buy at least one new major attraction or show, and/or updates to existing attractions/shows?

I guess my point is, even if the system works, is it worth the time and money Disney spent on it? Not a complaint, or rant, nor an effort to derail this thread, just thought it might help shed some light on where a lot of the complaints about FP+ come from.

Someone with better source figures can verify but I think revenues are up. In addition there are expansions in the works for AK and HS and a new Frozen ride coming to Epcot (not arguing it's merited, just saying it's occuring) as as well as a Soarin' expansion. WDW might argue it was worth the investment.

BrianV

Oh, I absolutely agree, 100%. But that is a false choice as those weren't the two options. Some amount was going to be needed to be spent on IT infrastructure. And while no one here can quantify the return, it is something greater than zero for sure. And if this actually results in net profits over the long run, then there will be more money available to spend on Star Wars land and avatar land and whatever.

NearTheEars

Just returned from 7 days in O-town and we have used FP+/Magic Bands many times since they first started. I see some things improving, others not so much.

Pros and cons (IMO, of course)

1. MDE. Pros: I think MDE is the absolute best thing to come out of MM+. It has really improved and is extremely user friendly. On prior trips I constantly got the error screen but only happened once on this trip. It was great! Cons: none (this trip)

2. FP+. Pros: (1). FP+ line moves much faster than it used to. We never waited more than 10 minutes after entering the FP+ entrance. On prior trips we waited much longer. (2). FP+ selections on 'day of' were decent too, but you better reserve em early. Cons: (1). The FP+ entrance still gets jammed up by the usual suspects (people w/o FP+, people playing dumb, or legitimate issues). (2). Longer standby wait times. It seems to be a product of allowing more FP+ riders to enter. I guess thats a double edge sword for DIsney, they keep the FP+ people from complaining but it causes longer standby wait times than years past. (3). FP+ is still horrible for park hopping. We were able to get many more quality FP selections throughout the day with legacy then we can now and legacy only required us to be up a little earlier, not plan everything 6 months out, and legacy did not have "tiers"

3. Magic Bands. Pros: (1). No problems at all with FP+ entrance. It always light up green, prior trips we had an error or two each day. Cons: (1). EVERY day had a problem at park entrance. Sometimes with both bands, sometimes just one. It got old really fast. I got sick of being asked, "is that the correct finger?". The CM's troubleshooting techniques are hilarious. Basically they just tell you "try it again" and keep asking "is that the correct finger". (3). Wifes band stopped working for room door on first day. We didnt want to waste the time at front desk so we just used mine. her band has failed on room door for the last 3 trips, mine never has. We just laugh it off, no big deal.

If it were up to me, Id keep MDE and scrap the rest. If you could make one FP selection at a time on your phone it would be perfect. Fair chance for everybody including locals who decide to go on a whim. All the other money could have been used for attraction capacity which is truly the only way to spread crowds out. I agree with @Dads 2 Boys that FP+ does not ruin your trip in any way, I still just prefer legacy.

I would support a one at a time FP selection via phone or kiosk. It would certainly level the playing field.

I still like knowing ahead of time, though, that I have the 3 mountains already set before we arrive.

R W B

Booking ADR's last minute has been an issue for many years though correct? Those don't have anything to do with FP+ IMO.

According to a bunch of people I know, they don't seem to have issues getting FP for headliners and they book a month out. I'm sure getting FP+ day of is not the same but......
You are correct, booking last minute ADRs has been an issue at least for us as long a I've been going on a steady basis and I would assume long before too, which is why like I said, I've only booked 4 times on 8 trips. Now I've been able to walk up to a number of sit down restaurants and wait for a table, just not the main ones.

I know we had issues booking FP+ for major attractions for our last trip and that was 57/58 days out. I know I'm in the minority with booking 2-4 weeks before we arrive but with my business and my fiancé's career its just how it is.

I just absolutely hate how WDW dictates where I have to be each day if I want any benefits, otherwise I'm stuck in a 60-180 minute line. Not to mention the different tiers and the fact your first 3 has to be in the same park, so why am I paying extra for Park Hoppers?

Ralphlaw

I would disagree with that. We've only been going since 2008 but since the implementation of FP- the wait times for Pirates went from 5-10 minutes up to a normal wait time of 30+, and that's during September.

I think a lot of that had to do with Johnny Depp. Since the movies began coming out, especially on DVD, Netflix, and TV in general, that ride was bound to become super popular. I would hazard to guess that the overall number of riders for POTC have shot up substantially in the past 6-8 years. The first time I rode was in 2003, and it wasn't nearly as popular, just a quiet little ride at the edge of Adventureland, past the Tiki Room.

draybook

I think a lot of that had to do with Johnny Depp. Since the movies began coming out, especially on DVD, Netflix, and TV in general, that ride was bound to become super popular. I would hazard to guess that the overall number of riders for POTC have shot up substantially in the past 6-8 years. The first time I rode was in 2003, and it wasn't nearly as popular, just a quiet little ride at the edge of Adventureland, past the Tiki Room.

5 trips in September, 2 in March and one in December. Until this year, the only trips that had those wait times were in March.

Ariel1986

Are you serious, or are you a plant?

Last time I went to WDW, people were standing around kiosks harassing CMs about Fastpass and how it was supposed to work and how come it DIDN'T work and boy did I feel sorry for those CMs. I've never seen WDW park employees look so put-upon and exhausted. The guests didn't look so happy either. The Magic Band I wore was a female dog to put on every darn day, and it worked only twice to open my room door. Worked okay for the Meal Plan, but you know, the old Keys to the World cards worked just as well. Those were NICE. Slip them in a pocket and you're on your way. No stupid band to take on and off every day. I looked into booking rides with FP but decided it wasn't worth the hassle. If TSMM was over 30 minutes I just went somewhere else. I've ridden it once and that was enough; it's just a high-tech shooting gallery, so yawn., who cares? If FP works for you, goody. But it cost too much to implement, and the dollars spent on it could have gone to building new attractions. So I still say the heck with it.

So... you're saying that you didn't actually USE Fastpass+...yet you know that you don't like it and that it doesn't work. Interesting...

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I did not like FP+ because when I tried it for a one day trip before a cruise with my friend, there was a lot of glitches and there were a LOOOT MORE people using Fastpass than the old system.

I LOOOVE fastpass. But I liked the old system. Not "FP+". Probably one of WDW's biggest mistakes so far. The old system was much better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom