DHS Firework Testing

cjk0318

Original Poster
Firework testing at Disney's Hollywood Studios will commence on December 19, 2014 (today) from 10:30pm-11:30pm. The test will consist of rooftop firing locations on The Great Movie Ride, Walt DIsney: One Man’s Dream, Voyage of The Little Mermaid and Soundstage 4.

As always, Closures inside the park will consist of Pixar Avenue, Commissary Lane and The Great Movie Ride courtyard. So expect those closures on NYE before dusk!

AND all DHS Christmas Decor will be removed on January 15, 2015 after park closing.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Wow. January 15th! That is a long time past Christmas. Thought they'd pick it up prior to the Marathon.

surfsupdon

January 15th? That's ridiculous. Its bad enough that it starts in November.

I mean, maybe people want to experience Disney World, and not Christmas Disney World?

Similarly, many people who experience Disney World regularly, maybe want to experience Christmas Disney World.

As a runDisney enthusiast, it's always great to run through HS and see the Christmas decorations during a 26mile course. Animal Kingdom, during this years past Jingle Jungle, was NOT decorated for Christmas - it made no sense.

Bolt

Wow. January 15th! That is a long time past Christmas. Thought they'd pick it up prior to the Marathon.
It's also the last place for removal. Every night starting a week after the New Year, one park will have it's decor removed.

ToTBellHop

Yep. If you look in the Sorcerer Hat thread you'll see the Christmas decorations are still up during the marathon.
Similarly, the Dream Lights at MK usually run thru Marathon. I would bet MK's decorations will come down around the 12th this year. It is usually Epcot (and the resorts) first, then AK, then MK, then DHS. I, for one, like seeing the Christmas decorations in January. It's the coldest month of the year and the extra lights are very...warming.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
isn't it bad luck to leave the decorations up for longer than 12 days post christmas?

Not so much bad luck but inappropriate for many Christians. Pretty much the religious season is done for all versions by January 6th. Most every commercial venue and municipal area cleans up by the New Year or by Janauary 6th. For those who don't celebrate the holiday it common courtesy for patrons and neighbors.

For many that follow the more Orthodox-Eastern those Christmas Decorations come down On January 6th. It has everything to do with the 12 days of Christmas and when that is reached there is a feast tied to Epiphany and Christ being Baptized on the 12th day. All Christmas decorations come down with the feast.

Western gets a tad mixed up as some traditions have gone away but my Grandparents from Ireland along with the UK celebrated boxing day and then after the Celebrations of NYE, January 1st was a holy day (why we were originally given the day off around here) as it is celebrated as the day baby Jesus had to be Circumcised and baptized. Christmas decorations down for this. I was raised Catholic and attended St Sylvester elementary school in my early years. St.Sylvester passed on December 31 and waked buried on January 1. Christmas decorations down for all this January 1st for this important Pope in the very early years of the Catholic Church after Christ birth.

And then there is municipal. Our local laws state any holiday decoration must be down within 2 months. (we missed that with the blizzard covering and sealing everything down well into February.)

Similarly, the Dream Lights at MK usually run thru Marathon. I would bet MK's decorations will come down around the 12th this year. It is usually Epcot (and the resorts) first, then AK, then MK, then DHS. I, for one, like seeing the Christmas decorations in January. It's the coldest month of the year and the extra lights are very...warming.

Disney sure is stretching this season out more and more. We traveled to Disney over the entire winter break for years when my kids were small and usually came home late in the first week of January. Christmas decorations started coming down in the resorts around New Years. We were always able to see the resorts and all the parks Christmas free at the end of trips. Arriving a few days before Christmas it was nice to see the parks and resorts cleaned up after the holidays were over.

2 and a half months of Christmas at Disney is a lot.

Last edited:

Unplugged

Interesting that the debate is on religous aspects, guest preferences, etc. but I haven't seen any questions about why the formal announcement of the date.One of us usually jumps on such hints like a fat burrito.

Is this a tie-in to the upcoming demolishment and additional closures of areas to begin construction of something new? Or is this announcement simply a formalization of policy past?

Tom Morrow

Yeah, that's rough - there's only half of January and February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, and October to experience Disney World without Christmas decorations.
Except for the thousands and thousands of visitors that can only get time off during the holidays due to work/school restraints and have to see WDW during the holidays by default and not by choice!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom