The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I don't like to shop in malls with hundreds of people never mind the biggest mall in the states. I hate going to Downtown Disney for that reason which is even worse. :eek:

I love bookstores. I have books discussing JFK death, books on the Cuban Missile Crisis, JFK, RFK, Kennedy HBO series, Cuban Missile Crisis movie with Kevin Costnar horrible Boston accent, Stephen King's 1963, though terrible ending. I do have books not involving the Kennedy's. ;)

Now I have the kindle which is good but I love the feel of a book. But my books take up a lot of room :oops:

Yeah, our mega mall is very different than the MN mega mall. Ours is only 2 stories so it is spread out real far. My Dad was one of the contractors so I got to see it going up. There was nothing but farms out there when it was built. Now the entire area is over developed. When the Mall of America was built and it became #2, they added another wing and a three story Nordstroms at the end and it over took MN. I lost track how it all ended but they are both just beyond massive and ours does not have a food court, amen.

I have a thing for books and bookstores. You and @donaldtoo could have some interesting chats with his love of history too. I too though find the entire Kennedy family beyond interesting. The power they had and the men, well.....it is a family sight.

donaldtoo

Party was awesome!!!
We were told we had a very good year. So good, that they gave us even more bonus tonight. Those sneaky partners...!!!!! :joyfull:

Just a coupla' quick pics, 'cause I still gotta be at the office, tomorrow mornin'...

Dinner. New York strip, plus sides...image.jpg
Sorry, forgot to get dessert...

Our table...

image.jpg

White hefalump ;) fun...

image.jpg

What I walked away with...

image.jpg

And, a shot of 6th Street from the deck...

image.jpg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Party was awesome!!!
We were told we had a very good year. So good, that they gave us even more bonus tonight. Those sneaky partners...!!!!! :joyfull:

Just a coupla' quick pics, 'cause I still gotta be at the office, tomorrow mornin'...

Dinner. New York strip, plus sides...View attachment 76919
Sorry, forgot to get dessert...

Our table...

View attachment 76920

White hefalump ;) fun...

View attachment 76921

What I walked away with...

View attachment 76922

And, a shot of 6th Street from the deck...

View attachment 76923

What an attractive restaurant, and the food looked delicious! :hungry: It was positively astonishing to read that the partners handed out even MORE money at the party!!! :eek: :joyfull: :joyfull: :joyfull: I love it when good things happen to nice people.

That was a great gift you received, and perfect for someone who knows how to use tools! :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I truly believe she is an old soul in a young body. :happy: Does anyone else have Senior Trees in their area? Here Salvation Army placing a few Christmas trees at different businesses in town with paper ornaments that have Chrsitmas requests from senior shut-ins or those alone. Then patrons have the opportunity to fulfill the requests. My friend and daughter always pick one up each. This year there were three left on the tree and my daughter said they would get the usual one for each plus the last one left so no one goes without on Christmas. :inlove:

The requests were two kitchen hand towels, three mystery novels and a scarf/hat combo. She didn't think that was enough for these people who won't be getting any other presents so she plussed them--two hand towels with matching washcloth and oven mitt, six mystery novels and scarf/hat combo with matching gloves.

My goodness, you have been blessed with a very sweet, considerate child. I was blown away reading about her kindness. :angelic:

The Senior Trees are an excellent idea, but, we don't have that in our area. We do have the bell ringers with the red donation buckets around the city. Many people put in dollars (and some slip in quite a bit more), so I'm sure that helps to bring in much needed money during the holidays.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
We do not have any independent book stores anymore. It will be interesting to see what happens to all book stores in the next ten years along with Public Libraries. My DD's University has 35,000 undergrads and total about 45,000 with those working on higher degrees. They no longer have a bookstore. It closed a couple years ago. Now mainly Spirit wear and novelty collegiate stuff.

I pray that libraries remain. There are so many historical references found within, that are not found on the internet. Although a plethora of information can be found on the internet, it's a common misconception that everything is there. Tucked away in stacks, in temperature-controlled storage rooms, archives, etc., are gems that are available if you need to search for them.

Part of what concerns me about children growing up now, and relying so heavily on computer access at home or school, is that they don't get out and walk, or ride their bike to a local library. Also, the library atmosphere teaches children to be quiet, thereby learning respect for others trying to read. And, I think it sharpens their research skills to seek out books, and dig inside for information. (Internet searches are faster, but I also think that a lot of the "work" is already done for you, so the kids aren't learning as much.) Another area of learning concerns the responsibility for taking care of books they may sign out and take home, and then the additional responsibility of returning book on time, to avoid a late fee. So there's a few other things (aside of research or recreational reading) that kids can benefit from, by visiting their local library.

SagamoreBeach

Yes, I do recall in a different thread back then, that you shared that your darling Nickie has passed on. You did an amazing job of taking care of her; it's rare for a dog to live 18.5 years. It does sounds like all of the dogs you had enjoyed a wonderful life (whether or not they were fans of snow ;) ). My hunch is that down the road, another dog will pick you to bring him/her home. (We don't choose dogs; the dogs always choose us. :) )
About 6 months before Nickie died I got the greatest little Chihuahua - Chloe. She's a lively little girl...doesn't bark, loves to be with people, and has the gift of discerning who doesn't like dogs and attaches herself to that person until they fall in love with her. I've seen it happen so many times. She comes to church with me every Sunday and participates in the passing of the peace and even helps out in Sunday School. And you're right- I would never have chosen a Chihuahua.Chloe.JPG

Goofyernmost

I pray that libraries remain. There are so many historical references found within, that are not found on the internet. Although a plethora of information can be found on the internet, it's a common misconception that everything is there. Tucked away in stacks, in temperature-controlled storage rooms, archives, etc., are gems that are available if you need to search for them.

Part of what concerns me about children growing up now, and relying so heavily on computer access at home or school, is that they don't get out and walk, or ride their bike to a local library. Also, the library atmosphere teaches children to be quiet, thereby learning respect for others trying to read. And, I think it sharpens their research skills to seek out books, and dig inside for information. (Internet searches are faster, but I also think that a lot of the "work" is already done for you, so the kids aren't learning as much.) Another area of learning concerns the responsibility for taking care of books they may sign out and take home, and then the additional responsibility of returning book on time, to avoid a late fee. So there's a few other things (aside of research or recreational reading) that kids can benefit from, by visiting their local library.
I don't see any indication that libraries are on the way out. Here in North Carolina (one of the redneck capitals of the world) the county that I live in owns and operates at least 12 libraries. Everyone I have been in always has a good sized crowd. Much more then I remember any library having when I was a kid (I think it's safe to say that the internet didn't exist back then). Any book that you might want can be requested on-line, it gets delivered to your closest location and is held for you to pick up. All of them are very modern and well maintained.

Gabe1

I believe libraries will always be around just in a different form. I posted months ago about a library I believe in Austin, but if not Texas. A state of the art modern library without paper. Tablets and readers could be checked out loaded with books and research materials. Or they could also be loaded for check out on your own device. Check out of many books can be downloaded from home free.

I have never lived in an area where I could or my kids could ride a bike to a library. Too dangerous, busy roads.

I actually find kids are smarter-as are adults with information on the internet. I see it on this thread where someone will just pull it up with ease and share. So much of what I use to wonder about, origins and facts I would never try and research for passing knowledge but do now. When my kids were in elementary school they could not use the internet in research papers. It quickly became an outdated way of teaching and then they had to use both paper and internet. Now our school libraries do not even own hard cover encyclopedias. They were very costly and became obsolete quickly. Now they are updated continuously online and all students can use at the same time with our subscription. If someone passes or their is a new war it is update almost immediately.

Quiet is what I hated about libraries. Being hard of hearing and people whispering was tough. I failed to see how people could work all day when conversation was happening and had to be silent or whisper in a library. It was so similar to me as attending Mass, be seen but not heard philosophy. Quiet made it difficult for students to work on group projects as they were always being shushed. Locally aside from kids working on projects together, teachers moonlighting as tutors, homeless finding day shelter, I don't see many around here sitting and reading in our public library, check it out and go more the norm. But what I like most about tech and books is the kids backpacks. They are so much lighter with access at home from a computer or loaded text on a tablet. Backpacks are ridiculously heavy for kids these days.

Gabe1

My goodness, you have been blessed with a very sweet, considerate child. I was blown away reading about her kindness. :angelic:

The Senior Trees are an excellent idea, but, we don't have that in our area. We do have the bell ringers with the red donation buckets around the city. Many people put in dollars (and some slip in quite a bit more), so I'm sure that helps to bring in much needed money during the holidays.

I've never seen a senior tree either but a good idea. In my immediate area the seniors are the financially set individuals. We have very little poor in our area but the once middle class was hit very hard here by the recession.

We have our own food pantry, our Lions Club assists with utilities and gives our $500 gift cards for hard hit families at Christmas time. We have a scholarship program for our Park District for kids sport teams. Our schools make lunches for many now and the lunches are placed in student lockers to be as discrete as possible. We waive fees and absorb field trip and things like sport and band fees. Our town is all about being discrete. All of the organisations including many student organisations adopt families, we don't know who they are but we fill the wish list for parents, children and sometime even their pets. When I donate to the food pantry it is usually for the pets as it is often an overlooked expense for the struggling. At Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter our High School, spawned by staff, arranges for full feasts to be delivered cooked to families struggling. A time is given to a family (which they can alter) and a quick drop is made at that time outside the door.

So much of generous funding for this comes through our Lions Club who holds events year round and is attended by the community at large and also by donations to our Community Council. Those donations are said to be in large hugely funded by our Elders in our community. When my FIL passed we were given many cash gifts to be donated to a charity of our choice in his name. This is where the funds went.

seahawk7

I don't like to shop in malls with hundreds of people never mind the biggest mall in the states. I hate going to Downtown Disney for that reason which is even worse. :eek:

I love bookstores. I have books discussing JFK death, books on the Cuban Missile Crisis, JFK, RFK, Kennedy HBO series, Cuban Missile Crisis movie with Kevin Costnar horrible Boston accent, Stephen King's 1963, though terrible ending. I do have books not involving the Kennedy's. ;)

Now I have the kindle which is good but I love the feel of a book. But my books take up a lot of room :oops:
I agree with you on liking the feel of a book in your hands and also not having enough room for all of them! I had an English teacher who paid for storage for her books because they didn't fit in her house.

Cesar R M

probably will get a generic auto response about how much they care. XD

so, you got a bonus too? CONGRATS!
speaking of the devil!
Sorry to answer to myself.. but I have to say about this.

Just mere minutes after replying with that (about mymagic), I got an email by disney.. informing me of the new "features" on the mymagic and my magic app for cellphones.

Cesar R M

I feel bad for the neighbors. Nice someone is doing something else besides the typical Christmas music. The decorations could be a little better. Even though I know why he picked a guitar and a piano, it just looks out of place.

you know, I still cant get enough of these songs since I first seen the old one in youtube back in the 2000's.
It had the song "Wizards in Winter"

Goofyernmost

Quiet is what I hated about libraries. Being hard of hearing and people whispering was tough. I failed to see how people could work all day when conversation was happening and had to be silent or whisper in a library. Quiet made it difficult for students to work on group projects as they were always being shushed. Locally aside from kids working on projects together, teachers moonlighting as tutors, homeless finding day shelter, I don't see many around here sitting and reading in our public library, check it out and go more the norm.
You have hit upon a couple of things that really impressed me about our local libraries. They have "quiet" rooms where those that are troubled by noises and people talking can go. In there it is the old school "shush" method. Also, there are always people just sitting there reading in the regular part of the library along with tutoring, language classes, story time for kids and other activities. I don't think that they would tolerate yelling, but, normal conversation seems to not be a problem at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom