The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The mega mall I am going to head to this morning is either the largest mall or the 2nd largest mall, it has bounced around and traded that title with MN Mall of America. There are also a few other places in strip malls that I need to go to. I'm hoping to polish it off today.

After my Amazon order I placed 2 more orders with Amazon for the things I forgot. :rolleyes: My debit card got quite the workout yesterday. Oy. Our Disney Store at that mall is very minimal,mostly toys and costumes. We had a Walden Books in the mall also long gone, Borders across the street gone, a mile down the street is still a Barns and Noble.

Oddly enough, as much as I'm not a fan of conventional malls, I would actually like to see (out of twisted curiosity) the Mall of America. I have seen some reports on this behemoth on TV; and I find it fascinating, for reasons I don't know. I'm not sure if my reaction to it would be like viewing a freak show, or if just the size of it would be enough overload of my senses, to lock in my attention.

I hope your shopping excursion went well today, and you finished up your Christmas shopping. You also made good use of Amazon, and they do come in handy for all kinds of items these days. They often have good prices, too.

Lastly, about the books stores that have bit the dust in your area, I found it interesting that you still have Barnes and Noble, because that's the only big name book store that we have too. All others are gone. Thanks goodness, there are a few small, sole proprietorship book stores in a few towns close by me.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
My Gusman - pictured in my avatar, did not like snow, at all. He was a very low rider and left winkie tracks. My Nickie would bound out the door and jump and run all over until every bit of fresh snow was distrubed. I loved watching her do that. Now, my grumpy Daisy...she hated the snow and would run out, squat and then run right back in. She only pretended to pee. They are all gone now. They lived good long lives...the oldest was Nickie who died at 18.5 years old just 5 months ago.
-T

Yes, I do recall in a different thread back then, that you shared that your darling Nickie has passed on. You did an amazing job of taking care of her; it's rare for a dog to live 18.5 years. It does sounds like all of the dogs you had enjoyed a wonderful life (whether or not they were fans of snow ;) ). My hunch is that down the road, another dog will pick you to bring him/her home. (We don't choose dogs; the dogs always choose us. :) )

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The library of congress has released its 25 picks of films that are at least ten years old to be entered and preserved. I'd pick 6 of them.

"13 Lakes" (2004)

"Bert Williams Lime Kiln Club Field Day" (1913)

"The Big Lebowski" (1998):

"Down Argentine Way" (1940)

"The Dragon Painter" (1919)

"Felicia" (1965)

"Ferris Bueller's Day Off' (1986):

"The Gang's All Here" (1943)

"House of Wax" (1953)

"Into the Arms of Strangers: Stories of the Kindertransport" (2000)

"Little Big Man" (1970)

"Luxo Jr." (1986)

"Moon Breath Beat" (1980)

"Please Don't Bury Me Alive!" (1976)

"The Power and the Glory" (1933)

"Rio Bravo" (1959)

"Rosemary's Baby" (1968)

"Ruggles of Red Gap" (1935)

"Saving Private Ryan" (1998)

"Shoes" (1916)

"State Fair" (1933)

"Unmasked" (1917)

"V-E + 1" (1945)

"The Way of Peace" (1947)

"Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" (1971)

Good grief. I don't think the popcorn companies make very much money off my minimal consumption. I don't go to theaters much at all, and most of those films I've never seen, even on TV. I've always liked the old State Fair movie, but it was the 1962 version with Pat Boone. It's kinda sappy, but there's just something about that movie that I liked.

seahawk7

O.k. With @MOXOMUMD 's daily countdown to Christmas, we're getting near critical mass here with just one weekend left to get everything done.

Responses requested: How many of you are done with your gift shopping? (Crickets . . .)

Yah, I figured no one was done yet. I have one more person's gift to buy.

As for the dog, I could get him the usual toys and treats; but I was debating whether to just buy him some envelopes, since he loves to maul our mail . . . :hilarious:
I'm about 25 percent done. But I've been shopping in my head, all I have to do now is buy the stuff. Does that make sense? It made sense in my head.

seahawk7

I'm done pretty much. It's easy when I really have one person to buy for basically. My daughter never asks for a lot and her list had three things on it: The Lego Movie, a box of Reese Puffs and a ticket to see Night At The Museum 3. A big whopping $21 spent there. :greedy::joyfull: Lots of kids have a major list that goes on and on but not mine. (What other kid goes to see Santa and when he asks "What would you like?" and she answers "Whatever is convenient for you?" :) ) She loves shopping at the Dollar Store so I bought a dozen or so things from there plus the Jasmine ornament/doll. Her stocking is stuffed with travel sized items for our cruise and five Sacagawea coins. ($5 will buy her ice cream once a week at school for a month.)

She's at that age where she wants to do her own present shopping so I have something to open. A family friend takes her to lunch and they shop and wrap them up. I have to make a list for her but it's simple things like new kitchen sponges, a travel toothbrush., etc. Dollar store obviously but it gives her a feeling of responsibility. :) She bought her dad a can of beer nuts and grandma a $5 Subway gift card. My last thing I need to buy and I'm really done.

View attachment 76818
Your daughter sounds like she is an awesome person.

seahawk7

A new study finds that men tune out significant other after 6 minutes of conversation on a given topic.

Study also found certain topics make men zone out quickly....

-Talking about people he has never met.

-Work drama

-Celebs,fashion, shopping

-Sharing feelings (avoidance about sharing they don't care about our trip to the mall :p)

-Diet and nutrition
Are we taking bets on if the guys on this thread got through your entire post? ;)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Two pieces of good news:

Biopsy came back for that mass my step grandfather had. Not cancer. He'll need one minimally invasive surgery, but it looks pretty good.

Four out of five of my grades have come back. All of them that have come back are As. Just waiting for the last one. She might not be done with grades yet; a lot of us did papers as our finals, and mine was 15 pages.:cautious:

That's very good news about your grandfather. :)

Wow, you are a top student. I know that you also work hard for it. Your parents must be bragging about you to all their friends, right about now! :p Really, your academic achievements should make you proud.

FutureCEO

Oddly enough, as much as I'm not a fan of conventional malls, I would actually like to see (out of twisted curiosity) the Mall of America. I have seen some reports on this behemoth on TV; and I find it fascinating, for reasons I don't know. I'm not sure if my reaction to it would be like viewing a freak show, or if just the size of it would be enough overload of my senses, to lock in my attention.

I hope your shopping excursion went well today, and you finished up your Christmas shopping. You also made good use of Amazon, and they do come in handy for all kinds of items these days. They often have good prices, too.

Lastly, about the books stores that have bit the dust in your area, I found it interesting that you still have Barnes and Noble, because that's the only big name book store that we have too. All others are gone. Thanks goodness, there are a few small, sole proprietorship book stores in a few towns close by me.

I don't like to shop in malls with hundreds of people never mind the biggest mall in the states. I hate going to Downtown Disney for that reason which is even worse. :eek:

I love bookstores. I have books discussing JFK death, books on the Cuban Missile Crisis, JFK, RFK, Kennedy HBO series, Cuban Missile Crisis movie with Kevin Costnar horrible Boston accent, Stephen King's 1963, though terrible ending. I do have books not involving the Kennedy's. ;)

Now I have the kindle which is good but I love the feel of a book. But my books take up a lot of room :oops:

Last edited:

MOXOMUMD

You have a lovely and considerate daughter. I thought her comment to Santa was so sweet. It's also comforting to know that she doesn't focus on material things, as evidenced in her short gift request list for herself. It's also really nice that she enjoys shopping for her mother's gift as well. She sounds generous, and has a very kind heart.
I truly believe she is an old soul in a young body. :happy: Does anyone else have Senior Trees in their area? Here Salvation Army placing a few Christmas trees at different businesses in town with paper ornaments that have Chrsitmas requests from senior shut-ins or those alone. Then patrons have the opportunity to fulfill the requests. My friend and daughter always pick one up each. This year there were three left on the tree and my daughter said they would get the usual one for each plus the last one left so no one goes without on Christmas. :inlove:

The requests were two kitchen hand towels, three mystery novels and a scarf/hat combo. She didn't think that was enough for these people who won't be getting any other presents so she plussed them--two hand towels with matching washcloth and oven mitt, six mystery novels and scarf/hat combo with matching gloves.

Goofyernmost

I don't like to shop in malls with hundreds of people never mind the biggest mall in the states. I hate going to Downtown Disney for that reason which is even worse. :eek:

I love bookstores. I have books discussing JFK death, books on the Cuban Missile Crisis, JFK, RFK, Kennedy HBO series, Cuban Missile Crisis movie with Kevin Costnar horrible Boston accent, Stephen King's 1963, though terrible ending. I do have books not involving the Kennedy's. ;)

Now I have the kindle which is good but I love the feel of a book. But my books take up a lot of room :oops:
Really? I thought "1963" was one of the best fiction/history novels ever written. It could not have ended any other way then it did and be credible. But it did take you for one incredible trip. Stephen King is an absolute genius. I spent the last 3rd of the book trying to figure out how he was going to go about getting everything back to the way the reality actually was. He did it very well.

FutureCEO

Really? I thought "1963" was one of the best fiction/history novels ever written. It could not have ended any other way then it did and be credible. But it did take you for one incredible trip. Stephen King is an absolute genius. I spent the last 3rd of the book trying to figure out how he was going to go about getting everything back to the way the reality actually was. He did it very well.

It was a good book, bit slow at times. I guess I expected the ending to be different.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom