Marketplace Causeway construction

MarkTwain

The photos of the causeway with the Saratoga Springs Resort in the background really look nice.

They really do. :) It looks like the easier access to Disney Springs will be a great perk for guests of Saratoga Springs. This likely will be doing DVC a favor as well, since it often seems like Saratoga is one of the less popular resorts for DVC members to book, but now could help spread demand a bit more evenly.

On the flipside, (and I'm sure this has been mentioned before), I'm curious to see how this plays out with Disney transportation. I wonder if this will lead to an increase of guests parking at Disney Springs, walking to Saratoga, and then taking buses to the parks as a workaround for free parking. I know this was a sometimes-used tactic before but I'm concerned it could be even more common now.

Next Big Thing

They really do. :) It looks like the easier access to Disney Springs will be a great perk for guests of Saratoga Springs. This likely will be doing DVC a favor as well, since it often seems like Saratoga is one of the less popular resorts for DVC members to book, but now could help spread demand a bit more evenly.

On the flipside, (and I'm sure this has been mentioned before), I'm curious to see how this plays out with Disney transportation. I wonder if this will lead to an increase of guests parking at Disney Springs, walking to Saratoga, and then taking buses to the parks as a workaround for free parking. I know this was a sometimes-used tactic before but I'm concerned it could be even more common now.
It's not necessarily that Saratoga is less popular. That's a myth. They just grossly overbuilt the resort.

Saratoga has 1,320 rooms at the resort. The next closest DVC resorts are OKW and AKV with 761 and 708 room respectively. Those three hotels are by far the easiest DVC to book in my experience (member for 7 years). All other DVC resorts are under 500 rooms (except BWV at 530) and have much more appealing locations (MK or Epcot areas).

mechurchlady

You would have to walk from the garage though Marketplace, cross the bridge then find your way to the bus stop at Congress Park. Then hope your bus is the last stop. Even if you get the northeast corner if the garage it is a long walk and wait. I don't tell how to avoid paying parking but take a friend with you who has free parking.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, Dec 19. Vertical supports are now installed for a roof structure over an extension to the causeway near the T-Rex end of the causeway. The causeway still has many railings and all the light poles yet to be installed, as well as this and other smaller structures.

IMG_4260.JPG

At the T-Rex end of the causeway, where the construction walls were moved back a few days ago, landscaping the shoreline is underway. The tall grass in the foreground is new and continues all the way back to beyond the Lego dragon in the lake.

IMG_4262.JPG

Jon81uk

It's not necessarily that Saratoga is less popular. That's a myth. They just grossly overbuilt the resort.

Saratoga has 1,320 rooms at the resort. The next closest DVC resorts are OKW and AKV with 761 and 708 room respectively. Those three hotels are by far the easiest DVC to book in my experience (member for 7 years). All other DVC resorts are under 500 rooms (except BWV at 530) and have much more appealing locations (MK or Epcot areas).

I'm not a DVC member but they were offering UK guests 55% off SSR so we took it. It felt like a ghost town, no atmosphere to the resort at all. It should have been built as two separate resorts maybe as it just feels like you are a long way from everything. Or maybe they expected that Saratoga guests would go over to DTD for dinner instead?

Rob562

You would have to walk from the garage though Marketplace, cross the bridge then find your way to the bus stop at Congress Park. Then hope your bus is the last stop. Even if you get the northeast corner if the garage it is a long walk and wait. I don't tell how to avoid paying parking but take a friend with you who has free parking.

Never underestimate the lengths people will go to save money, even if the time and effort far outweigh the actual savings.

-Rob

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One can park at a resort for free and one can park at water parks and golf courses then take buses. If one is cheap one is going to use easiest access.
I know from experience that they started cracking down on people parking at the monorail resorts. If you are visiting someone or going to eat there they will give you a 4 hour parking pass to prevent people from parking there all day. The standard "trick" of making an ADR at Chef Mickeys doesn't work anymore either. They charge you if you don't show up. Since they stopped running buses directly from parks to DTD the SSR option became more popular. I agree with others that it's a hike, but to some people it's worth it I guess.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
most hotels will not let you just pull in and park, they ask for my confirmation # or last name before allowing me into a resort area.
My last stay at BLT they were not letting anyone into CR lot unless they had an ADR (with confirmation number). My father in law visited us for a day and when he arrived they gave him a 4 hour parking pass. We were only going out to dinner at the Poly so we were back with time to spare. No clue if they would have towed him after 4 hours.

WDWtraveler

Marketplace Causeway photo update as of Wednesday, Dec 31. The causeway won't be open that soon.

The first of the lamp poles (metal) and lighting fixtures were being installed this week. See the right side of the photo below for the finished light fixture. Some of the lighting fixtures have plastic wrap.

IMG_4387.JPG

A simple copper cap is being installed on the railing posts.

IMG_4383.JPG

Here is the "entry" from the Rainforest Café end of the bridge, which is still closed by construction walls. I am guessing a lamp post will be installed on the brick column in the right center.

IMG_4384.JPG

WDWtraveler

Marketplace Causeway photo update as of Monday, Jan 12. These 4 kiosks have been positioned on the causeway near the T-Rex end of the causeway.

IMG_4468.JPG

IMG_4472.JPG

From the Rainforest Café end of the causeway, most of the light poles have been installed. In the distance (center), you can see the paint test wall on The Boathouse. A close-up can be viewed in the thread for Boathouse construction.

IMG_4469.JPG

WDWtraveler

Marketplace Causeway photo update as of Thursday, Jan 15. While wdwmagic posted an update on the home page, the photos below were taken today, with overcast skies.

The "bridge" on the causeway has additional safety barriers (metal mesh) installed along the railing, and lighting has been installed on the "bridge" part of the causeway. The lights are ON in the below photo. With some additional electrical work to be done, I expect the causeway to be open soon, perhaps before Feb.

IMG_4491.JPG

Last edited:

dstrawn9889

well it would have been more narrow... at least they were DESIGNED to have kiosks on them in the first place... (looking at you , Bwana Bob)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom