Annual Pass Renewal With Magic Bands

afb28

Original Poster
So my annual passes expired on the 12th and I renewed a few weeks ago. Never got the discount and parking card. So called today and they said I have to order new bands which will come with the new discount cards.

Thought this was kind of a weird process since I a) already have a band and b) have the Haunted Mansion band so now I'll have 3 bands and they said that all 3 stay active.

Seems really strange. Is this normal?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
For now, yes. No telling if they will stop shipping bands to those that do not need them in the future.

From what I have been told, the bands are so inexpensive that they have a kind of "everyone gets a new band" policy to avoid dealing with "person A gets one, person B does not, person C needed one and did not get it" issues.

afb28

Original Poster
Seems like a total waste.

Just send me the discount card and that's it, but whatevs I s'pose.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Seems like a total waste.

Just send me the discount card and that's it, but whatevs I s'pose.
In theory yes, but probably not in practice.

Technically, Disney could have reused room keys from past stays, but they don't because it was not worth it at the end of the day.

Rob562

For now, yes. No telling if they will stop shipping bands to those that do not need them in the future.

From what I have been told, the bands are so inexpensive that they have a kind of "everyone gets a new band" policy to avoid dealing with "person A gets one, person B does not, person C needed one and did not get it" issues.

Also, the Band has a finite lifespan for the long-range reader aspect of the Band.

While all touch-to-use functions such as park admission, FP+ and room keys should work for a Band indefinitely, the battery that powers the long-range function only has an expected life of about two years.

Of course the battery in my EZPass transponder was only supposed to last for 3-5 years and it's now going on 12+ years, so...

-Rob

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Also, the Band has a finite lifespan for the long-range reader aspect of the Band.

While all touch-to-use functions such as park admission, FP+ and room keys should work for a Band indefinitely, the battery that powers the long-range function only has an expected life of about two years.

Of course the battery in my EZPass transponder was only supposed to last for 3-5 years and it's now going on 12+ years, so...

-Rob
Exactly.

Back when Magic Bands were in early testing I did a quick search as to what they would cost. They were right at $1 even in quantities of only a few thousand let alone the millions Disney is using.

At that low of a price it is simply not worth dealing with the headache.

afb28

Original Poster
You can deactivate those you aren't using. Go to MDE, My Magic Bands and cards, and deactivate those you aren't using/don't need. I did it so I could put some officially "up" and use the new ones coming in. I'm up to 3 (one in the mail right now), and 2 resort stay ones likely coming before May.
Oh I know, just seems like more hassle than necessary because I only really need that parking card. But I ordered 2 new ones and different colors in case I ever wanna change to em.

FrostyNaples

You wouldn't believe how useful having a band on each wrist can be!

You know how the FP+ podiums are on the left and ride sides of the entrance? Efficiency!

Plus you can have move than one color, be able to sport all your Magic Bandit accessories and such.

It's becoming jewelry in a sense.

"One Man's Waste....."

I too have now about 8 MB's, deactivated all except for the Haunted Mansion that i recently bought, also knowing our up coming resort reservation sparks another round, so i'll have the newest band (basic color + fresh batteries) on one wrist, and my Haunted Mansion on the other.

Creativity ensues, it's also the holidays, why not chain link them together and decorate!

MissM

So my annual passes expired on the 12th and I renewed a few weeks ago. Never got the discount and parking card. So called today and they said I have to order new bands which will come with the new discount cards.
When I renewed my AP I had existing bands as well plus RFID tickets and our parking/discount cards. I went to a ticket window and got a new set of RFID tickets right then and there to ensure I could show those as my "proof of AP" until the new parking/discount cards arrived. But yes, after renewal, it opened a new order in my online profile to order a new set of bands as well. My husband has three now and due to a glitch (the only sent him one in the initial AP rollout) I have two.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Went to Disney this weekend and renewed my annual passes. I could not believe how much typing the Cast Member had to do. I would think that it would be scan the band, verify who we where and go, but that was not the case. We had paid on line and still took a good ten minutes of work to renew to annual passes.

JasonDeyoung

I have soooooo many magic bands I hope they change it sometime soon lol between my AP ones (3) and a new one every resort stay im now at 14 ugh lol

Last edited:

mikenatcity1

Thought this was kind of a weird process since I a) already have a band and b) have the Haunted Mansion band so now I'll have 3 bands and they said that all 3 stay active.

Seems really strange. Is this normal?

I have 2 that are from my Annual Pass and 6 from visits- each time I stay on property I have to either order a new one or they give me grey at the time I check in...
When I renewed my pass, I picked my new magicband and got a slider and discount card with it. Seems like a waste, but at least I have all of the standard colors to choose from (and switch them out depending on the holiday)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom